Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook


Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: John Richardson - by FISHY1118 1 minute ago.
Witnesses: John Richardson - by Herlock Sholmes 14 minutes ago.
Witnesses: John Richardson - by FISHY1118 27 minutes ago.
Witnesses: John Richardson - by Herlock Sholmes 35 minutes ago.
Witnesses: John Richardson - by Herlock Sholmes 47 minutes ago.
Pub Talk: Drought Conditions in Britain Prompt Water Restrictions for Millions in London - by mpriestnall 48 minutes ago.
Witnesses: John Richardson - by Herlock Sholmes 53 minutes ago.
Witnesses: John Richardson - by Herlock Sholmes 56 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: John Richardson - (114 posts)
Other Mysteries: Body on Somerton Beach - (17 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Ripper and enclosed spaces - (13 posts)
Pub Talk: 20 memorable epitaphs. - (6 posts)
Maybrick, James: New Book: The Maybrick Murder and the Diary of Jack the Ripper - (3 posts)
Social Chat: Pub Talk - (2 posts)

Morning Advertiser (London)
1 December 1888


A man was arrested last night at the "Crystal" Tavern, Burdett road, Mile-end, on suspicion of being the Whitechapel murderer. He got into conversation with a woman, whom he asked to accompany him, but she refused. He afterward addressed a photographer, who was soliciting orders, and asked him if he could take some photographs. In the course of his conversation he used expressions which excited suspicion, and he was given into custody. He first gave the address, Mr. Stewart, 305, Mile-end-road, but at the Bow police-station he gave the name of Ever. He appears to be a Polish Jew.

William Wick, 56, fishmonger, Gresse-street, Rathbone-place, was charged with assaulting Mary Sargood, a widow, who supported herself by following the occupation of a mantle maker.--The prosecutrix said that for a long time past the prison had ill-used her, and three times had fractured her ribs. She had left him, but he always found out where she was living, and abused her. for the past week he had been staying with her at her lodging in Gresse-street, and at three o'clock that morning returned and asked her what she had done with a shilling which he had given to her on Monday. She told him that a shilling would not keep her and provide fire and light. Becoming furious, he told her that that was all she would have, and that he would "Jack the Ripper" her. Then he seized one of her boots and dealt her a heavy blow on the side of her head with it, inflicting a wound which bled freely. (The woman here removed her bonnet and showed the magistrate the injury she had received.) She screamed "Murder!" but the occupants of the next room did not hear her. At length, however, a constable arrived and she gave her assailant into custody.--In defence, the prisoner said he had provided the prosecutrix with jelly, soup, and other delicacies, but all she wanted was money.--Mr. Newton ordered the accused to enter into his own recognisances in the sum of 5l. to be of good behavior for one month.

THE HAVANT MURDER.--The clothes of the prisoner Husband were yesterday sent to the Government analyst at Somerset House. A girl named Ethel Whitbread has stated that on Monday morning she saw the prisoner sharpening a long-bladed knife, similar to that produced at the magisterial inquiry. He was then in the company of two other boys, who are now being inquired for.

Related pages:
       Press Reports: Evening News - 1 December 1888