return to normal view
Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser
Dublin, Ireland
Saturday, 6th October 1888


The policy of offering a reward for the apprehension of the Whitechapel murderer is much debated here, on general as well as on special grounds. On both the balance of opinion seems to support Mr Matthews' action in refusing to place such a premium on the manufacture of evidence. The proffered rewards for the Whitechapel murderer have so far produced nothing but a vast number of ridiculous suggestions, and probably lies. But it must be allowed that the mere offering of the money at all is a most curious commentary on the shock statements of Coercionist speakers that the great difference between Ireland and England is that in Ireland there is a strong sympathy with crime, which is not to be found at all in England. But if the action of the various authorities which have subscribed 1,200 for information as to the identity of the Whitechapel fiend means anything, it means that it is presumed there are persons in the East End whose reluctance to give information can only be overcome by the temptation of an immense bribe.

The theories as to the motive of the crimes and their possible perpetrator, and the precautions to be taken to prevent a repetition of them, continue to flood the papers in undiminished number, and display considerable resource. One is that the murderer goes down sewer manholes; another suggests that all persons who let lodgings to single men should not the time their lodgers come home at night; another that the murderer is a seafaring man employed in a short journey boat, living and sleeping on board; and another that the murderer has false sleeves and an apron like a barber to receive the splashes.


London, Friday

The Press Association says - Practically nothing of any moment transpired to-day in connection with the recent murders. Early in the morning the police posted up at the stations facsimile copies of the post card and letter which pretends to be written by the murderer, and these bills were eagerly red and discussed by large crowds. At the time of telegraphing the police admit they have practically no clue.

The proceedings at the inquest to-day on the body of the Berners-street victim have again thrown some doubt on the identity of the person murdered. Indeed the mystery seems to deepen as time goes on. The deputy of the lodginghouse where the deceased was said to live, as well as the man Kidney, who said he lived for three years with deceased, were both positive that the body was that of Elizabeth Stride, and gave what was considered to be conclusive evidence on the point. It was evident at the time that the doctors were startled by the statement, and have since as a result of another investigation of the body totally disproved the evidence of the witnesses mentioned. A significant circumstance in that the jury to-day were sworn to inquire into the death of a "person unknown," while at the previous hearing they were sworn to inquire into the death of Elizabeth Stride.

The medical student who made a statement the other day that he was the Whitechapel murderer and who had since been detained in custody, was to-day discharged.

A Central News telegram says - Shortly before midnight a cab containing two men and a woman was observed to stop near a dark railway arch in Brick lane, in the East End of London. The man alighted, and deposited upon the ground the woman, who was insensible. Three men who observed their movements raised an alarm, whereupon the men drove off in the cab. One of them, however, returned, was recognised, and was taken to Commercial-road police station, where he is detained. He gives the name of Johnson. The affair has caused great excitement in the neighbourhood.

The funeral of Kate Eddowes, the Mitre square victim, will take place on Monday afternoon in Ilford cemetery. The police have commenced a systematic search of unoccupied buildings in Whitechapel district.

The Central News is authorised to state that as a result of inquiries as to the practicability of the scheme, Sir Charles Warren is making immediate arrangement for employing trained bloodhounds in London.

A Central News telegram of this morning says - The man Johnson, who was arrested in Brick-lane about midnight, has been released, his explanation being satisfactory.


London, Friday

The inquest on Elizabeth Stride, the victim of the Berners-street murder, was resumed this afternoon by Mr. Wynne Baxter. It became known this morning that the deceased was named Gustafz Dotter. She was born in November 1843, at Forslander in Gottenburg, Sweden, and married Thomas Stride, a carpenter.

At a quarter past two all present were surprised to hear the Coroner's clerk inform the jury that they were to resume the inquiry into the death of a person unknown.

Dr Phillips was recalled, and stated that he had again examined the body and could not find any injury to the palate. He had not been able to find any blood on the handkerchief, the stains being those of fruit. He was convinced that the deceased had not swallowed either the skin or seeds of grapes within many hours of her death. The knife found could have produced the injuries which might have been done in two seconds. In cases of suicide the carotid artery was not generally cut as in the present case, and the murderer displayed knowledge of where to cut the throat.

Dr Blackwell corroborated the last witness.

Sven Ollson, clerk to the Swedish Church, Prince's-square, said that he had known the deceased seventeen years. He bore out the facts above, and produced a register which showed that she was married to Stride-- he thought in '69. The register did not give the date. He gave deceased the hymn book found in her lodgings.

William Marshall, living at 64 Bernes-street, said he saw the deceased and a man standing about twenty feet from him at a quarter to 12 on Saturday night. They were talking, and the man seemed like a middle-aged clerk.

James Brown, living near the scene of the murder, said he saw the deceased with a man in Berners-street at a quarter to one on Sunday morning. The man was young, and wore a long overcoat.

Wm Smith, constable on the Berners-street beat, said it took twenty-five minutes to complete his round, and he was at the scene of the murder twenty minutes before the body was found, but saw nothing and heard no cries.

Kidney, who lived with the deceased, identified the hymnbook produced.

The inquest was then adjourned till October 23rd.


London, Friday

Facts have come to light which place the Whitehall murder more clearly on all fours with the Wainwright murder of thirteen years ago. Edward Deuchar, a commercial traveller, was a passenger in a Vauxhall train three weeks ago with a man who was carefully carrying a parcel under his arm. A strong smell pervaded the car, and passengers were holding handkerchiefs to their noses. The man, who appeared agitated, was a rough-looking, powerfully built fellow, with a "goat's beard." When the car arrived at the Obelisk, St George's Circus, a passenger exclaimed, "I can't stand this smell any longer," and the man with the parcel hurriedly got out and was lost to sight in the darkness. A few days after one of the arms supposed to belong to the trunk found on the Embankment was discovered between the railing of the Blind School in Lambeth road, near where the man alighted.

The Press Association says that Detective Inspector Marshall, of the Whitehall Police, this morning proceeded to Guildford to obtain some human remains, consisting principally of the leg of a woman, which were picked up on the railway there some time ago. Dr Bond will compare them with the trunk lying at Westminster Mortuary.


New York, Friday

The atrocious crimes committed in Whitechapel have aroused intense interest here. The following statement has been made by an English sailor named Dodge. He says he arrived in London from China on August 18th, by the steamship Glenonrlie. He met at the Queen's Music Hall, Poplar, a Malay cook named Alaska. The Malay said he had been robbed by a woman of bad character in Whitechapel of two years savings, and he swore that unless he found the woman and recovered the money he would murder and mutilate every Whitechapel woman he met. He showed Dodge a double-edged knife which he always carried with him. He was about five feet seven inches in height, one hundred and twenty pounds in weight, and apparently thirty-five years of age. He was very dark.