Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through August 21, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Creative Writing and Expression » JtR Poetry » Archive through August 21, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 492
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz

Glad you're enjoying the thread.

The stressed-out boss is probably even now sueing him/herself for compensation.

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Robert and Caz for your postive comments.
I am much taken with this Colony idea and have been working on it all day, though I should have been working on something else.
As mad as I might be I do feel today I have wrestled something quite useful from the universe swell.
Robert, you make a lot of pertinent observation but I do address that in part two.

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colony Two

It is vital to note that specific individuals are allotted specific tasks within the colony.
On the other hand, we as more complex beings, feel subject to and prone to outside influence - as opposed to the individual ant who is pre-cast and moulded by creation for his individual task - however we may too be influenced by this specific biological situation as specific individuals by subtle messages trickling back to us from society as a whole, and these messages may well be acting as triggers to creative urges and surges shared wholesale by society in thought but then acted upon by specific individuals within the colony by powerful bursts of physical action, usually directed to the benefit of the colony. Usually.
These subtle messages are carried forth into the colony by the normal paths of communication within that colony, but being of a discrete and almost subliminal nature they are not widely understood by the majority, but only by a few individuals who may be hypersensitive to such signals through their unusual circumstance or happenstance, or alternately might be creative individuals whose use of certain areas of the brain and mind - not normally employed by the non-creative individuals within the colony who employ the logic and reasoning zones - allow them to receive and comprehend these almost subliminal messages which are generated by the whole of the colony rather than a specific group of individuals within the colony.
If you like, the messages are creative awareness signals generated by the prevailing natural condition of the entire colony, rather than the collective of an uncertain sum of individuals within that community. Then almost imperceptibly the colony reacts at any given time to these specific signals through designated individuals scattered throughout the community at random.
The outcome can often be the sudden sparkling of cosmic genius and a true understanding of the colony, this we are able to see in individuals like Winston Churchill or Leonardo da Vinci, and these individuals attempt to push the boundaries of the colony to the outermost limit by using their canny intelligence and powerful grasp of the universe to the positive benefit of the colony.
When received and acted upon by this type of individual the signals are beneficial to the whole.
Other individuals touched by the subliminal messages react in a chaotic uncoordinated fashion, producing inspired visions of a frenetic but nonetheless beautiful colony which other individuals within the community may take inspiration from but do not truly understand. Here we talk of individuals of the ilk of William Blake or Van Gogh, who touch the very skies of our creative genius, and by producing inspired works of art change the very fabric of the colony for all time.
Then there is the third group of individuals who receive these signals.
These then are the individuals within the colony who are subject to what Bob Dylan termed the ‘Alien Wind’.
We now come to Jack the Lad.

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phew, AP! I don't want to say too much until I've seen the rest, and I'm no Kenneth Clarke, but here goes :

I think it's true that there have been times when something's been "in the air" - e.g. Newton and Leibniz independently discovered/invented the Calculus in the seventeenth century.

Also, though, it's possible for an individual to create in a manner that seems unprompted by any message from the present - it's almost as if he were tuned into the future instead. I read once that someone was always going to formulate Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity - if he hadn't, someone else would have pretty soon, because it dealt with the kinds of questions that were troubling scientists at that time. But his General Theory was decades ahead of its time and more of a special creation by him.

As you can see, I don't regard reason and logic as necessarily uncreative - or at least, I don't see why great reasoning ability shouldn't co-exist with creative ability within one and the same individual.

I agree that these creative outbursts are usually linked to the society as a whole and not just produced by the atmosphere within a small circle of intellectuals. It seems to me that it has something to do with challenge and response.

Another thing that supports your theory (hope I've understood it right, by the way!) is that, as far as I can tell from my harebrained and chaotic studies, the cult of the Creative Individual seems to be a modern phenomenon of about 200 years standing, although it had been known at certain times and places before then. The impression I get is that, until recently, artists - using the word in the broadest sense -had been content to ascribe their creations to the Muse, or the god, or even another human (e.g. to King David). Some of them lived and created without even leaving their names behind them, e.g. early medieval architects and masons. Painters would let pupils do parts of their paintings, and composers would pinch other composers' tunes, modify them, and then hand them on to the next generation to be pinched and modified. It was the romantics who put individualism firmly on the map, wasn't it?

I think our modern society has a division of labour system that the ants would envy. I wonder whether the reason our society seems to be uncreative when compared with, say, Ancient Athens or Renaissance Italy, is because of the division and subdivision of all branches of study, which maybe screens people off from those subliminal messages?

I believe Prof Watson, co-discoverer of the structure of DNA, once said that so many new discoveries were being made on a daily basis in genetics, he couldn't keep up with it all. The days of Plato and Christopher Wren seem long gone.

Looking forward to the next part.

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 2:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
as ever your observation and comment are highly relevant, however I will hold fire on discussion until I have managed to post the next section... if I can keep my hands off that damn Safeways Spanish brandy bottle long enough to do so.
Thank you

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 4:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colony Three

Then we have the third group of individuals who are also susceptible to these subtle messages broadcast by the colony as a whole. Make no mistake, these individuals receive exactly the same signals as the other groupings, beamed directly into the creative part of their brain and or mind. However it is in the individual interpretation of these signals that a major problem seems to occur.
For we are looking at individuals here whose creative urges seem to be somehow sacrificed to ego; although the creative side of their mind may well be unlocked by the incessant and subtle signals, at the same time these signals seem to generate a creative short cut to the solution which the signals wish to produce.
We may compare the situation to a worker ant suddenly switching his frequency from the colony and hence receiving signals sent out by the colony intended solely for the soldier ant. The worker ant then attempts to fulfil a role within society for which it is ill-equipped and is patently unable to do so.
Mayhem ensues.
Chaos descends upon the colony when the wrong signals are received by the wrong individuals.
Worse still is when it is the soldier ant that receives the wrong signal, for a soldier ant set amongst the working ants may blatantly view them as the enemy and wholesale slaughter will be the inevitable result. Obviously the other soldier ants will not understand the concept of one of their own troops attacking individuals within the colony who they are bound by creation to protect, and their normal protective and aggressive combat instincts will remain dormant without a recognizable enemy.
These soldier ants who are there to protect the colony - our law enforcement officers - appear enormously reluctant to carry out their task when it comes to the apprehension and curtailment of a killer who is actually carrying out the deep rooted biological wishes and natural designs of that colony, and I strongly suspect that this is because the law enforcement officers instinctively recognise the killer as a fellow soldier from their own sub-class of the population, and are unable to escape the biological impact of such a superbly natural situation.
But of course there is a rub.

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Extremely interesting, AP. I feel that something of a similar nature happened in Nazi Germany - there you have the creativity mixed with ego, the paralysis in the face of a soldier ant sworn to protect the colony, and the passive acceptance when that soldier ant attacks members of his own nest. I think that if Germany had conquered Britain and the USSR, the ordinary German people unltimately wouldn't have fared much better than the Jews and Slavs. If he'd lived long enough, I think Hitler would have decided that the only individual who wasn't fit to be enslaved was...Adolf Hitler.

Stalin is another example.

Bring on Part Four.

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colony Four

Rather than pushing these signals outwards back into the colony where they may be a force for real and potent change in society, these particular individuals from the third grouping actually swallow these signals and push them inwards where they undergo a radical change of frequency and hence meaning. However, thus treated the signals may well assume even more power in the society in which they are about to be unleashed.
That is the rub.
For the message is the same whosoever hears it, the third grouping of individuals are merely adept at short-cutting a lengthy biological procedure which we flippantly term ‘evolution‘.
I see Jack - and his kissing cousins - as part of a biological machine that has been working undisturbed deep within the colony for thousands of years, a natural machine that has as its purpose and destiny the actual cementation and twinning of the two separate sexes that do split the colony into half and hence weaken its inherent colonial strength, the purpose and natural aim of Jack is to create a single asexual creature that can better fulfil the creative and command powers that the colony ultimately demands.
Inherent in this biological process are the falling sperm counts amongst the male gender within the colony, itself an infallible index of the direction of the colony, and when this is matched to the blurring lines that begin to obscure the two different sexes through the natural vehicles of transsexuals, transvestites and individuals obsessed with their own sexual gender rather than a desire for sexual reproduction… we begin to see that Jack, so to speak, is on the very cutting edge of a unique biological process.
His attacks on other individuals within the colony being no more than the result of a soldier ant being signalled by a higher source to clear the nest of all individuals who do not fit the narrow future format of the colony’s existence, in this case the female population.
Obviously Jack on his own could not accomplish the task alone, so what we have seen is a dramatic increase in the broadcast of these signals and many more individuals responding to those signals in a similar fashion to Jack.
The colony is cleansing itself and the ultimate purpose and aim is to create an asexual soldier/worker unit that fits into an asexual soldier/worker society controlled, fuelled and directed by a single production unit encompassing the natural capacity for reproduction in a totally asexual fashion.
We must now examine these signals and their effect on individuals like Jack.

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 6:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

Well I think it's true that western society has at different periods undergone, in religion, art, politics and science, a definite cult of the abstract. And modern fertility science seems able to dispense with the sexual act altogether.

I don't know, it's just a suggestion, but the falling sperm counts may be due amongst other things to the increased security of modern life.

Re the asexual future, obviously there have been increasing sexual attacks on women, but we don't seem to be seeing very many sexual attacks by women on men (in the literal sense, that is!) - and this at a time when I suspect that the disparity in physical strength between men and women is at an historical low, and when modern weapons such as the gun can easily equalise what difference remains.

Part Five awaited.

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 2:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good points, Robert, as ever.
Especially the point about sexual attacks on men by woman. However I feel that my suggestion in 'Colony' is that these attacks upon women by men are not inherently 'sexual' in their nature but - as I have maintained all along in the Myth - do contain within the motive a desire to kill sex itself.
Match this to what I see as an ever increasing and overtly agressive attitude towards sexual affairs from a more modern and dcemanding female species... and hey presto you are boiling up a cauldron of spite and hate.
Anyway, I'll leave further discussion until the beast has run its wayward course.
Thank you for your lively interest and worthy comments.

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colony Five

The signals sent out by the colony are multifarious and certainly way beyond our own ken unless as particular individuals we are touched by them, but the increase in frequency traffic in the last 100 years certainly seems to point to very real and irreversible evolutionary change within the colony, in particular with regard to the fragile sexuality of the colony being divided amongst a warring male and female population patently at evolutionary odds with one another.
The alarming decline worldwide in male sperm counts - where today the vast majority of the male population of the colony appear to be clinically sterile - and then the blending and blurring of the two independent sexes into what appears to be a single sexual being, appear to be guiding the colony clearly towards a sexual system requiring the presence of but a single sex in the majority and a single reproductive female to satisfy the entire evolutionary and sexual needs of that dominant male population.
In an essential process of biological winnowing and evolutionary cleansing we are witnessing the emergence of a new race of beings who will one day no doubt be totally asexual creations, serving a single sexual master - or mistress - capable of cloning itself to repopulate the colony with devastating speed in times of natural disaster or need.
Instead of a division based along sexual orientation the new colony will simply be divided along a line of strict employment codes… worker or soldier.
Now Jack would have liked this concept, and was indeed working towards a similar end, as we will see.
The signals - which Dylan called ‘Alien Winds’ - are of course broadcast by and to the colony as a whole, the fact that they appear to reach predetermined individuals within the colony is nowt but happenstance and good fortune, the signals are not intended to evoke individual responses, they are in fact grooming and smoothing signals designed to ensure the direction of the colony. However it is merely enough that certain individuals within the colony hear and absorb the signals. With these individuals - who react to these non-specific signals in a specific manner - we are looking at a matter so complex that it might ultimately prove impossible to explain in human terms that any of us would understand.
I am certainly willing to try though, but the expanse may prove too wide for this forum.
Perhaps it is simpler to view the signals as AC or DC, the colony as a whole responding to AC, but only certain individuals responding to DC. The AC signals require no direct action but merely biological acquiescence. The DC signals however do prompt selective individuals within the colony to take specific actions which will motivate and move the colony as a whole.
To give it a sudden push as it were, so that the DC moves the AC, instead of the other way around which is the norm.
This duality of signals ensures the colony is moving in the natural direction that the colony wants to - biologically speaking that is - as the intellect and intelligence of the colony may well be striving for some other more noble direction into the future, but the self protective elements inherent in biological evolutionary progress will constantly kick in and cause the colony to swerve uncontrollably back to its predestined destination.
In other words Jack’s bloody actions and deeds in response to the signals will be far more effective in determining the eventual future of the colony than the intellectual or artistic responses of giants like William Blake or Winston Churchill.
For nature will out, and Jack were worm in the bud.
As insidious and frightening as the prospect may be, Jack were but fulfilling the destiny that awaits us all in the future.
He was a killer ahead of his time and understood the alien winds that were blowing through the colonies of change.
A man of the future indeed.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 504
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well AP, I don't know about this forum, but the expanse is a bit wide for me. However, I'll give it a go.

I can't say immediately how much I agree and how much I disagree. But let me put this point :

To me, intelligence and creativity seem to require, not so much a reaction to a special sort of signal, but a wide-ranging receptivity to all signals. This seems to produce a state of mind which I suppose might be called one of deliberation - instead of immediate, instinctive responses to stimuli, there is a period (of greater or lesser duration) of "mulling over", followed by action. For example, the simple question of which fork in a road to take. Or the action may involve the creation of a scientific theory. Works of art can be responses to stimuli dating from the early history of an individual, maybe decades ago.

I'm not here talking about free will. We may well be as mechanistically determined as any ant. The difference is the range of experience.

You seemed to be saying earlier that creative individuals pick up messages from their surroundings, and I said that unfortunately there seems to be increasing division of labour now, so that people seem shut into their fields of expertise - and woe betide them if they venture outside their field! They will quickly be slapped down by the owners of the neighbouring field.

This might be inhibiting creativity. Might not the same sort of thing, on a general scale, also inhibit reception of the asexual messages you mention?

In fact, although I agree with you that men and women seem to be getting more similar, isn't it true that today there are lots of ways that people might shut out these messages? There are radio and television channels now devoted to but one subject - e.g. sport, comedy, soaps. People prefer to go by car rather than by bus and train, etc etc. They're even having a job getting more than half the population to vote now.

One of the problems of modern life seems to be that the ant picks up the piece of detritus, ready to cast it out of the nest, and suddenly thinks "Why am I doing this?"

AP, I had the feeling that your piece was finished, but if it isn't, just ignore this and carry on with it. I just thought I ought to give a response.

It's a typically fascinating concept, AP!

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 4:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert

Thank you for your kind comments. I like to think this channel is open for us to experiment with and this was certainly experimentation!
Yes, I finished up… but due to an imbalance in the universe brought on by a wild bout of drinking SSB I actually left out a huge section where I attempted to explore and explain the signals I have been rabbiting on about.
And that has put you in an unfair position for commentary and discussion.
For the signals I speak of are so insidious that they are virtually subliminal and usually pass unnoticed by the vast majority of the colony. As such they do not allow for decision making, or creativity, or intelligence as you imply, for they are far more insidious than that, and as deep rooted biological urges I fear they allow no room for compromise or decision. It is the very simplicity of these signals that make them so dangerous.
We can find them in the family, in the school yard and school room, in the pub, in the government that controls us, in college, in the army, in the barrage of media that surrounds us and in the very nature of our social development.
So subtle that they almost pass unnoticed.
To give but one banal example, during the National Lottery when the audience actually claps the arrival of each individual numbered ball as if the balls are actual entities… this may seem trivial, but it is not.
In fact this meaningless act carries within in it more meaning and import for the future of mankind than a manned mission to Mars.
To take this into our own sphere of influence I would cite and example the majority of writers involved in the peculiar world of mass murder, and would suggest that the format and influence of their books is actually registered by the colony - unbeknown to them I would hasten to add - as positive reasoning and reasonable accolade for the brutal crimes they are reading about.
Stand up Mister Wilson and be counted.
Take this one step further by examining the nature and language of modern policing methods when concerned with mass murder and you will soon see that this too is actually acting as a conditioning tool that is empowering the actions of the killers they are supposed to be hindering.
Stand up every single copper who is making money as an author.
Both author and law enforcement officer are empowering the crimes they are writing about by writing about them.
Stand up AP Wolf and be counted.
Guilty as charged, the whole pack.
You do raise many interesting points, Robert, but I thought it only fair to explain the signals as I see them before I reply to your valid points.
Best wishes.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 511
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, yes if you could expand on this, it would be welcome.

All this would be a good postscript if you publish a revised Myth.

Robert

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, this all makes fascinating reading, even though I find much of it hard to take in.

To pick up on your example of the Lottery balls, I wish you would explain something for me in the context of your observation that 'this meaningless act carries within in it more meaning and import for the future of mankind than a manned mission to Mars'.

My understanding is that the programme makers prompt the tv audience to clap as each new numbered ball is revealed in order to add excitement and somehow raise public hopes and expectations that, against all odds, they are going to win a fortune, hence assuring future ticket sales. And every time they clap, hubby takes the pi** out of the pointlessness of it all, the sheer lack of all logic behind the applause, as each member of the audience's hopes of winning a tenner or more go down the lav, most likely along with every other sentient being who happens to be watching.

Yet we do keep buying the tickets and we do keep hoping to see our balls appear (although we also know people who don't buy tickets because they say they never win anything, and presumably they wouldn't put themselves through the agony of watching fruitless balls drop and hearing the inappropriate applause) so IS there a subliminal message that we are responding to here?

Love,

Caz

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 334
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz

Good question and I shall probably be hard-pressed to answer it.
I think I’m talking about persuasive movement and moment here, a sort of smoothing and soothing noise that guides the colony to its ensured destination. A sort of coming together, or a collective response if you like, no matter its banal and patently futile purpose in reality, the germ of that futile purpose is to gather a collective movement forward for the colony… as a one. So when someone holds up a prompt, we clap.
Robert made a very good point when he related my wild theories to what happened in Nazi Germany, the collective moved as a whole and swallowed itself, or it would have done given the chance, as he did point out. Now that could very well be the natural biological outcome of such collective thought and persuasion.
Hitler prompted, the colony clapped and down the drain they went.
I instinctively feel that television soap dramas serve the same purpose in our own society, they are acting as a collective for the colony, and people - unbeknown to themselves - will begin to live their lives as they see it reported back to them by the collective they see through the media.
In other words life as we see it becomes two-tiered, the reality and the collective. Both are moving on, but only one is reality… now which one is it?
I also feel instinctively that you are asking me what the devil all this has to do with Jack the Ripper.
A lot.
Jack was responding to the signals that the colony was sending him, and it is vital to our knowledge of the case to examine those signals available during the late Victorian period and then to fully understand them.
This would give a student of the case a very good grounding. I myself am still investigating the meagre signals that were around at the time
Actually Caz, your note in itself - when carefully examined - is a very good explanation for the crimes of Jack

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 530
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

I think it's true that people are increasingly imitating soap operas, both in speech and behaviour. The mere fact that something appears on television or in the newspapers seems to invest it with some sort of reality or authority, in the face of even the most hardened cynicism.

The human species seems to have great difficulty in coming to terms with the tension inherent in lying, or believing that one's being lied to. The willingness to suspend disbelief - e.g. while watching a play - seems almost inborn.

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 5:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Colony Revisited.

So, just what discrete and indiscrete signals would have been available to our Jack the Lad in the late Victorian period?
It is worth a consideration to acknowledge that all modern pop music is thought to emanate from a single Canon and thus all modern murder may well also emanate from a man named Jack.
Just a consideration.
Isolating individual signals from the white wall of sound that we call history is a parlous task, but with Jack with have VHF, SW, FM and even Microwave, for Jack was answering a chord of sound quite unique in the history of mankind, a message of such overpowering beauty and moment that it has had its persuasion and persuaders since time first trickled through the open door of an expanding universe. We talk of intensity and power here, we talk of taboo and the breaking of taboo, we talk of blood.
Also we talk of a signal that seemed to peak exactly at the time that Jack set out to murder and mutilate women.
‘Tis a strange little signal with its origins in the great flowering of the Renaissance when giants of the ilk of da Vinci began to dissect the basic human condition using knife rather than paint. Instead of pointing a brush at canvas, these artists took up the knife and started to slice up humanity, so much so that human anatomy became art, and art became murder through a weird and ritualised process whereby female corpses were laid out in public view in theatres and halls to be ripped and sliced apart by highly paid anatomists of their time.
To the utter delight of their rapturous audiences these soldier ants would rip and slice their victims to tumultuous applause, the final act of pleasure being when they would lift the still beating heart out of their victims and show it to the frenzied colony with the blood dripping down their arms.
A taboo had been lifted.
In other words the very public stabbing and slicing up of the female victims was suddenly transformed from the forbidden and strictly taboo ridden realms of biblical lore and tradition right into the public domain where it became a respectable audience participation event much like a television quiz show today.
A boogey board of murder, and the late Victorian period surfed that wave for the very first time.
No, a taboo had been exploded, full in the face of the colony.
The signal was clear.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 607
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fascinating stuff as always, AP. If it's all right with you, I'll wait till the end, and then make some comments.

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 336
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 2:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert

I've been infected for some time now with the new worm in the bud, the master blaster, and have just started to restore the system, but it is still there so if I disappear again you know why.
Worm in Bud allowing I'll continue.

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 4:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Colony Revisited Too.

Sort of limping around the corner at this exact stage in the development of the colony was a fairly innocuous - and to most members of the colony patently unimportant - event:
The establishment of the first medical school for members of the colony of the female persuasion.
Women were to be elevated from the status of workers to soldiers, in other words instead of men slashing at them with knifes they were now going to be doing the slashing, and it would be the soldiers they would slash.
A rather rude and unwelcome wake-up call for the comfortably attired and fat-arsed gentlemen of the late Victorian era who took to the knife when their reproductive organs failed them and vented their fury and frustration on the internal reproductive workings of the beast they could not satisfy whilst Freud maintained a slow hand clap in the background.
Thus would Jack find succour.
For the whore had been elevated and such as Jack would have their pound of flesh.
The continuing and increasing obsession during the late Victorian period with human anatomy would in itself represent a wholesome danger to the colony - or better said the female representatives of the colony - but when that obsession became a public spectacle it also became respectable.
The signal was thus empowered, assuming a positive and reassuring tone that allowed the public spectacle of a fellow colony member being ripped apart and plundered to be viewed as the norm. Wrapped in emerging science the art of killing and plundering a fellow being was not only acceptable but respectable.
We talk of art.
The linkage is wobbly, but it will hold the train over the tracks.
Critical perhaps is the magical difference the colony has taught us with smoothing signals that it is acceptable to slice and stab a corpse for medical or scientific reasons but unacceptable to do the same to a living member of the colony.
The problem being of course that a soldier of the nature of Jack would not have recognised that difference.
For the signal had been sent.
The consideration being that it is perhaps a waste of time to look for Jack’s motives in the pornography that might have been available to him in the late Victorian period when there was such an obvious wealth of motive in the normal moment and day to day movement of the time slice we examine.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 619
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A bell is ringing here concerning your previous suggestion that Jack was a kind of showman and crowd-pleaser. Arena...or theatre...

Sorry, AP, I said I'd shut up.

Robert

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
no reason to shut up, your discourse and keen purpose is always welcome.
You might be right, just let me finish off this SOB of a bottle of SSB and I'll tell you.
As ever, I don't know where I'm going 'till I get there.

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not a Ripper poem as such, but a memento of the Liverpool Ripper convention just held. . .

Lost in Liverpool

It's no longer my city, or my uncle's either.
But we renew our acquaintance with the grave
of the Child of Hale, nine foot three, wrestler
in James I's court, unchanged if all else has.

Locate the corpy where you lived 70 years ago,
and my semi of 40 years ago, recall neighbors,
puzzle out how we and the houses have changed,
the loose brick in the wall all I recognize.

I attend sessions at the Ripper convention,
Donna and you agree to meet up at 4:00 pm,
but you don't turn up. You're 88, ripe to be
a statistic, I get ready to call the rozzers.

Squinting along Lime Street, so many bald men
like you. I feel lost in a scouse fog, the raw
ripe accents, Epstein's "Liverpool Resurgent"
nakedly soars where I met Pat, John met Cynthia,

surrealistic feeling, pull of the Cast Iron Shore,
the city's magnetism calls us home, and back
you find your way to the Adelphi's faded grandeur,
a pint for you, Douglas; a stiff scotch for me.

Christopher T. George

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 632
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice indeed, Chris. The disorientation, longing and regret really came through.

Maybe not a Ripper poem, but plenty of Ripper echoes.

I hope your uncle doesn't become a statistic for a good while yet!

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.