Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

ATLANTA 1913-1915 -THE MURDER OF MAR... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » ATLANTA 1913-1915 -THE MURDER OF MARY PHAGAN AND THE LYNCHING OF LEO FRANK « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

If anyone out there is interested in the 1913 Phagan murder and the 1915 Leo Frank lynching, I believe the definitive book has been written on the subject in the form of Steve Oney's, AND THE DEAD SHALL RISE, (2003)

The book is essential reading for anyone interested in understanding race relations and anit-semitism in the South in the early years of this century. Filled with documentation and facts on matters other books and articles have merely suggested, the book also discusses the re-emergence of the Klan and a major impetus for the Anti-Defamation League.

As has long been speculated the lynching was an inside job, planned and carried out by some of the 'pillars' of the legal, judicial and law enforcement communities.

All The Best
Gary

Erin Sigler
Detective Sergeant
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 2:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Time just gave this book a great review. I'd love to get a copy myself!

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 5:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Erin

I managed to get an autographed copy although I missed meeting Mr. Oney.

I believe you will enjoy it and I would like to see you post your opinions.

All The Best
Gary

Eric Skinner
Police Constable
Username: Eric

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 2:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to live and work in Milledgeville, Georgia, which was the site of the jail where Leo Frank was kidnapped. Even though the crime took place early in the 20th century and I lived there in 2001-2002, it was common knowledge in the community that Frank had been removed from the jail by prominent people. This took place after token resistance from the jail staff. The attitude of the people I spoke to about the incident was that they didn't think it was a big deal. They felt it was just another lynching and that ultimately Frank got what he deserved. This was almost 100 years after the fact. It's one of the reasons I'm glad I don't live there any longer.

James Jeffrey Paul
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I met Mr. Oney at a reading in Durham, North Carolina (I live in Raleigh) and spoke with him about my proposed novel about the "Atlanta Ripper" murders of the same time period, 1911-1912. He was very supportive and encouraging. I've just started reading his book. A fascinating account!

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 646
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi James

Mr. Oney is indeed a very respected writer. Good luck on your novel. I will look forward to reading it when it comes out. Keep us informed on your progress.

All The Best
Gary

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 6:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I've read two previous books about this case as well as seen The Murder of Mary Phagan, a good work for a TV movie, and They Won't Forget which is very loosely based on the crime. One of the books took the view that Frank was probably guilty. I tend to think that he wasn't but we have to be careful not to base our conclusions on the belated testimony of one person. For all we know, Mann could have been making the whole thing up or, if not, Conley might have just been helping Frank out on orders. Mr. Frank shouldn't have been convicted on the evidence given, in my view, and the lynching was certainly an outrage whether he was involved or not.

Goodies,

Stan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.