Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Body found November 13th 1888 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Body found November 13th 1888 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 657
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 7:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saw this article about a body found in the Thames four days after the Kelly murder and thought it might be of interest.

Reno Evening Gazette
13 November 1888

A Probable Murder

London Nov. 13.
The body of a well dressed woman was taken out of the Thames this morning. There were marks on the body which gave rise to a suspicion that the woman had been murdered, but it is possible she committed suicide, and that the marks were received by contact with objects in the water. The police searched the wards of the various police stations, in the hope of getting a clue to the murderer, but were unsuccessful. They arrested one man who had a bowie knife in his possession, but there was no reason to believe that he was instrumental in the woman's death. He will probably be discharged.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2853
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm reviving this long lost post from Chris.
The date and the Bowie knife interest me.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2855
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 1:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris
I think the case you refer to here came up at Inquest on the 20th November 1888 in Shadwell under our old friend Wynne Baxter.
The woman was Annie Hancock, aged 32, from Brixton.
Reading between the lines of the report I would suspect that the lady was an ‘unfortunate’.
Although the verdict was ‘Found drowned’, there is much to the case that warrants further investigation, such as she was seen with a ‘stranger’ - good description of this man - shortly before her death.
I have not been able to find the reference to the ‘Bowie’ knife.
Have you still got it?

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Running on with this, one finds that a Annie Hancock was the subject of an assault by a Metropolitan police officer in the March of 1888, for which he was duly charged and tried, but later the charges were dropped at appeal on April 21st 1888.
I know that I will get into trouble for this yet again, but I do honestly believe that this is the very same Annie Hancock who was found drowned in the Thames in November of 1888 in suspicious circumstances.
The Metropolitan police officer concerned was PC Pool -326 E Division, warrant number 69272.

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3252
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a torso murder?

daft question time...
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my mamma taught me better than that."

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3256
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

er,

just excuse me while i learn how to read.

I may spend some time lying in a darkened room,

er

thats all

Jenni

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2867
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No excuses required Jenni.
I was just posting the story of a whore who got herself killed a few days after Mary Jane.
Ho hum, back to sleep.

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3259
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 7:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ap,

I was just looking for my brain, i lost it temporaily, maybe i mis filed it at work? i found it now though

sorry,

Jenni

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.