Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through October 03, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Julia Wallace » Archive through October 03, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Was just wondering whether anyone had any views on the killing of Julia Wallace. Her husband was convicted of her murder, but was later pardoned. Methinks he was guilty as hell, but I could always be wrong there.

Gordon Parry has been mentioned as a suspect, and he didn't have much of an alibi.. but then again, nor did the husband.

Any thoughts?

Chris George, I still have the pic you sent me of Julia's autopsy.. thanks again for that!

Bestest,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn,

A friend of mine convinced me that Wallace was innocent of his wife's murder, and that Parry was the guilty party. But I must admit that it was a remarkably tightly constructed puzzle.

I wonder if they will ever create a Menlove Gardens East in Liverpool. :-)

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 753
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 3:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lindsey

You may be interested to look at James Murphy's The Murder of Julia Wallace (2001). Murphy looked at previously unreleased police records and concluded that they definitely exonerated Parry.

The best comment on the case seems to be (if I remember correctly) Dorothy L. Sayers's - to the effect that it was impossible for Wallace to have done it, but impossible for anyone else to have done it.

After reading Murphy's book I felt that Wallace must have done it, but if so he was an incredibly fast worker.

Chris Phillips

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff and Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. Chris, I will hunt down James Murphy's book.

I admit that the timing for Wallace to have committed the crime is pretty tight, but from what I've read of the murder, there doesn't seem to be any other valid suspect. Even having read Jonathan Goodman's book on the case, I don't see that Parry was the perpetrator here - despite the bloody glove found in his car.

I remember watching a film about the case many, many years ago, called (I think) "The Man From The Pru". I would love to watch it again, but have no idea whether it would be available on video.

Anyway, thanks again both. I would have to agree with Dorothy L Sayers.. it remains a mystery to me.

Bestest,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn

I have "The Man from the Pru" on tape. Come on over.(just kidding) It's much more accurate than most true crime films and I love it. MoviePlex used to show it on occasion but they took that off my cable so I'm not sure if that's still the case. The actor who plays Parry steals the show. Wallace certainly looks guilty but Parry's also suspect. I'm not sure what to make of John Parks' story; would hate to blame a man based on the testimony of one. The extreme violence of the crime made it look like there was something personal there.

Goodies,

Stan

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan,

Put the kettle on.. I'm on my way over! (Will be there in about 18 hours.) I would love to see that film again! I somehow doubt that I'll manage to hunt down a copy of it here in the US - let alone "one dog town", New Mexico! In fact, I only know of one American who has even heard of the case, and that's Chris George. (And I'm not sure that he really counts as an American..)

Having read just about everything on the case that I've been able to get my hands on, I still think that Wallace murdered Julia. Time-wise is still a mystery to me though.

Anyway, see you in about 18 hours, okay! Not too much milk in my tea, and no sugar

Love,

Lyn

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 8:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn

I'm in Illinois and this is one of my favorite unsolved cases. I first read about the crime in the Book of Lists 2 during 1979 and have read several accounts of it in other books since. If Wallace did do it, I guess he got his death sentence from God.

In 2002 I wrote about this murder as a part of an article in the October issue of "America's Most Wanted News Magazine", the publication that was put out in affiliation with the Fox Network AMW TV show. They ceased printing this magazine in 2003. My section on the Wallace case runs about 750 words.

The first time I saw "The Man from the Pru", it was on PBS's "Mystery". When I referred to the cable channel, I should have said "MoviePlex" or "Encore - True Stories". They're the same firm, which you probably already knew, and it's been shown on both. You might contact any of those three networks and ask them when they plan to show it again and copy it for yourself. PBS may even have copy you can purchase from them.

Regards,

Stan

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 614
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn,

Just want you to know there are three of us in the U.S. who have heard of Wallace and "The Man From the Pru". I have known of the Wallace case since I read Ernest Lustgarten's essay on it (in THE MURDER AND THE TRIAL) back in the 1960s. I also read the book by Jonathan Goodman. I won't say I'm an expert on it, but I am aware of it.

Funny that until they did THE MAN FROM THE PRU they never thought of turning the Wallace case into a movie, like TEN RILLINGTON PLACE or MADELEINE. Certainly it is an devilish mystery.

Lustgarten, by the way, did a radio broadcast back in the 1950s about the Wallace case, and he ended it on the side that it probably was not Wallace but someone else (to borrow from Shaw in a similar context, "an independent genius"). As he ended his weekly show that night, he suddenly (I don't know if he planned it) directed his remarks to the independent genius - saying something like, "Well mate, are you out there? How do you feel? Quite an accomplishment!" There are somethings you can just get away with only on radio.

Jeff

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 9:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heck, Stanley! I might look into PBS as a source for this movie! There's a PBS shop in Albuquerque that has all kinds of stuff!

Thank you, my friend! (And now I know two Americans who have heard of the case..)

Love,

Lyn

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 393
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 9:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scrap that.. I just now saw your post, Jeff. That makes three!

Love,

Lyn

Carolyn
Detective Sergeant
Username: Carolyn

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn,

Now you know three. I'm in Oklahoma.
In a very small country town four miles from the Texas border. We are almost neighbors.

Carolyn

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 9:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn and Jeff

It always interested me that Wallace first pointed the finger of suspicion at another coworker (something the movie ignored) before he tried to put the frame on Parry.

Regarding Madeleine, I wrote a historical review on that film in the June 1992 issue of CrimeBeat Magazine and did a piece on Smith for AMW News Magazine (March 2002). Gotta love those Not Proven verdicts.

Stan

Carolyn
Detective Sergeant
Username: Carolyn

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn,

Oops, I should have said four!

Carolyn

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 8:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn

Note that the PBS version of "The Man of the Pru" I saw had about two minutes edited out. Nothing of any real consequence in my view.

Stan

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 395
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carolyn,

This is wonderful! For all these years I thought I was all alone!

Stan,

I shall bear that in mind when I go to the PBS store. Chances are that they may not even have the movie.. but eBay is another possibility.

Love,

Lyn

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, let's all meet at Carolyn's! (Joking)

Since that witness reported seeing Wallace talking with an unidentified man on the fateful night, I always wondered if couldn't have hired the murder done. Maybe, he could have even employed Parry to do the deed. Just a thought. I'm probably not the first to have it.

Goodies,

Stan

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 9:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

First, the name of the writer/radio personality was Edgar Lustgarten, not Ernest. I must have been thinking of the Ernest Bevan or Ernest Worthing. Sorry about that.

Secondly, if it was Parry, he had a personal grudge against Wallace, and that led to his planning the murder. If Parry hated Wallace, Parry would not have been hired by Wallace.

I still think that Liverpool should create a section called Menlove Gardens East. Possibly with a Qualtrough Lane in it. :-)

By the way Stanley, since you wrote about David Lean's MADELEINE, are you aware of the film she and Ray Milland appeared in based on the Bravo Poisoning Case, SO EVIL MY LOVE? It makes some unwarranted changes in the plot, but it is the Balham Mystery (with a final touch of Nan Patterson - Caesar Young murder of 1904 in New York City).

Best wishes,

Jeff

Stanley D. Reid
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 9:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff et al.

No, I hadn't realized there was a film based on Bravo. Always found the case interesting and thought Florence was probably guilty.

Regarding Qualtrough, has anyone other than me wondered if the R. M. were something other than name initials. The only thing I've come up with is the title Resident Magistrate but I've just taken a cursory look.

Regards,

Stan

Candy Morgan
Sergeant
Username: Candy

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Five.

Read about it in "The New Murderers' Who's Who" in the mid 80's. I didn't know there was a film about it though, I'm going to have to hunt that up.

And I second (third?) the idea that we all meet at Lindsey's for tea!
"What did you do to the cat? It looks half dead." ~ Mrs. Schrodinger

Steven Calt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 8:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am an American who has completed a manuscript on the Wallace case that is currently being considered for publication in England. I hold that it is possible to substantiate Wallace's guilt, and that much of the mystery surrounding the case is attributable to the amateurish way in which it was investigated and prosecuted.

Mark Bloch
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 5:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To quote Raymond Chandler; "The more I read the case the more I think Wallace done it - but the more I read it the more I think he couldn't have done it" I have read nearly everything ever written on this case (my mother was actually born in the street facing the phone box from which the Qualtrough call was made, and several members of my family knew both the Wallace's). It does look like Wallace commited the crime, but I have one big doubt - if he would have done the crime he would have been covered in blood. This gives me a reasonable doubt. There was a programme on TV here last year and forensic detectives state that Wallace (or whoever did it) would have been covered in blood. I also think the theory that whoever did it and then bathed is absolutely ludicrous. It really is a facinating case though! I retraced Wallace's steps of the night of 20th January 1931 a few years ago!
Mark R}

Mark Bloch
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 4:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about the mis-quote! I was reading through some of my Wallace ephemera, and apparently it was a friend of Wallace who gave the statement!
I have read the Murphy book, and to me, it is full of suppositions. He does make some valid points, but conveniently overlooks facts/counter arguments. Incidentally, a few years ago a local Liverpool writer TOM SLEMEN published an article in a local newspaper stating that Julia's murder was committed by the Wallace's neighbours, the Johnstone's!!
Mark B R

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mark,

In the famous quote from Chandler on the case, he refers to it as 'the nonpareil of all murder mysteries'. He had planned to write about the crime but after reading Dorothy L. Sayers account he found no need.

Regards,

Stan

Mark Bloch
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 5:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope to build a Wallace web-site soon - it would contain many photos of the places/routes associated with the case.

Mark B R

Mark Bloch R
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 4:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't believe Murphy's assumption that if Wallace was tried today he would be found guilty. It is irrelevant. If I was member of any jury on this case, I am afraid that I would not be convinced of Wallace's guilt. I have five problems with this.
1). Motive. Murphy states that Julia became a burden to Wallace. I find this really a rather flimsy reason - surely it would rather have been just as easy for Wallace to divorce her irrespective of the ignomy of a divorce.
2). Wallace being proved 100% of being in the telephone box - there isn't ANY proof. This is just Murphy's speculation.
3). Wallace in the house during the murder - again, there is no definite proof that he was in the house from between 6.45 - 8.45.
4) Murder weapon. I find it hard to believe that Wallace would discard the weapon ANYWHERE in the Menlove Avenue area (or on his route for that matter). Doing this would implicate him BEYOND DOUBT. Because there is no record of the police searching the pumping station grounds, doesn't necessarily mean they didn't search it. Also, would Wallace really have taken that chance? I don't think so - he didn't know whether the station (or the route) would be searched. He would probably have thought it WOULD.
5) Not a trace of blood on Wallace/clothes. This to me is the most unshakeable evidence in Wallace's defence. He would have been covered in blood. It is an extremely difficult fluid to remove - and in the time that he was supposed to have done it? I'm not convinced.
I hope to set up a Wallace website soon. It would have all the sights associated with the case (photos etc)!

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark

surely it would rather have been just as easy for Wallace to divorce her irrespective of the ignomy of a divorce.

I don't think that's so. Divorce was anything but easy for ordinary people at the time of the Wallace murder. This was before even A. P. Herbert's limited reform of the divorce law in 1937.

Chris Phillips

Mark Bloch
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 5:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Irrespective of a divorce, I don't think there was a motive concerning Wallace's unhappiness with Julia. Their friends claimed their relationship was amicable, and Wallace does not
state anything untoward in his diaries, apart from the odd grumble, but that is expected with any relationship. Okay, it could be argued that Wallace would hardly broadcast any animosity to the level of murder, but I'm not convinced.

Mark B R

Mark Bloch
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 5:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lister Drive School was burnt down recently - It is the school where Richard Gordon Parry and Lily Lloyd attended (I also went to school there in the 1970's). There is a photo in Roger Wilkes' book Wallace: The Final Verdict which shows both Parry and Lloyd appearing in a school production together.

Mark B R

Yarden Weidenfeld
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm an American who has long been fascinated with this case. The only full-length book I have read on it was "The Killing of Julia Wallace." Can't remember the name of the author. I read it in the early 1990s. The author made, in my opinion, an unimpeachable case for Wallace's innocence. Having read only that book, I have long considered that past debate. The author even posited a number of other potential murderers. Reading some of the posts here makes me wonder, though.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 3:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Yarden

The author of The Killing of Julia Wallace was Jonathan Goodman. His book The Passing of Starr Faithfull is also a fine true crime book.

See http://upress.kent.edu/books/Goodman2.htm

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 749
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Yes I do like Mr. Goodman's work. In fact, I enjoyed the Starr Faithfull book to it's final words!

Jeff

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 1:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff

Got your e-mail and I am glad to hear that you are a fan of Mr Goodman's work... I am emailing you back. Meanwhile you might be interested to know that I referenced the Starr Faithfull case as well as Black Dahlia in a long poem I wrote--

"The Waste Land by Orson Welles"

All my best

Chris

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

sea pony
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My dad is researching thiscrime along with a few others. He hopes to publish a book by the end of the year. all the best.

Wend}}}

Mark Bloch
Police Constable
Username: Mark

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 5:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was a feature on the Wallace Case in a magazine here in England recently: True Crime
Detective Monthly.

Mark R B

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn & Stanley et al.

I have not yet seen the film, but here is information on "The Man from the Pru" which turns out to be a 1990 British TV movie--

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097822/

with a good cast--

Jonathan Pryce .... William Wallace
Anna Massey .... Julia Wallace
Susannah York .... Amy Wallace
Richard Pasco .... Hemmerde, K.C.
Philip Latham .... Oliver, K.C.
Bernard Lloyd .... Prof. McFall
Tom Georgeson .... Det. Supt. Moore
Gary Mavers .... Gordon Parry

The Internet Movie database does appear to say that the movie is available on VHS in the U.S. and Canada.

Maybe I will stop at Hollywood video on the way home and see if I can rent it.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck Chris. I've never seen the film at a rental store but I taped it when it was on PBS Mystery and/or Encore-True Stories/MoviePlex; it's played on all of those at least. The Mystery version has a few seconds edited out but that's more than made up for with Diana Rigg's introduction. If you do find it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Stan

james murphy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 8:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi lindsey and chris
this is james murphy author of latest book on the julia wallace case. glad to see that the case is still underr discussion. the book is out of print but i have seen copies advertised on abebooks.com. both the police and prosecution files are now open to the public and there is still a lot of info therein which i did not use which may be of help in further discussions. one piece of info i did pick up and did not use wa that parry went to live in north wales and worked as a telephonist at a hospital. 1 of his co-workers i tracked down thought he was left-handed though she was not 100% certain. from the facts of the case julia's killer was right-handed.

james murphy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi mark bloch.
i have just found his website and would like to reply to the points you made.
1. you do not have to prove motive to prove a man as a murderer. the motives i ascribe to wallace are just my speculation based upon a psychlogical examination of the man's character.
2. i did not set out to prove, nor did i prove, that wallace was in the phone box. i said he did have time to be in the phone where j goodmam said he could no have been as he could not have made the phone call and arrivd by tram at the chess club at the time he was seen. i simply said he could have taken a bus to the club, a form of transport goodman did not consider, and the time saving could therefore have placed wallace in the phone box.
3. wallace himself said he was in the house after 6.30 which is approximately the ime julia was last seen alive.
4.the police did not search the pumping station but confined their search, accoring to the police file, to the immediate vicinity of richmond park. again it was my speculation that the pumping station was an idel duming ground for the weapon. and as the police had no idea what the murder weapon was, searching the sewers and middens of the richmond park area was an exercise in futility.
5. according to the police file, wallace's clothes were searched fo bloodstains. there is no mention in the police files of any chemical testing of the clothes. nor were any bloodstains found on any of parry's clothing.(parry had 3 independent witnesses who alibied him on the night o the urder). the science of testing for blood, human blood, in the 1930's wa still a very primitive scientific exercise. with the amount of blood spilled at the murder scene it is difficult to imagine the killer not contaminating himself. but no traces of transfered blood were found anywhere in he house. the killer was either extremely adept at avoiding the blood spatter, or very lucky. that julia's killer was naked when he murdered her is still a reaonable explanation.
good luck with the website
james murphy

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Does anyone know if anything that could have been a murder weapon was found in the pumping station at a later time or could it still be there today? I know that an iron bar was missing from the Wallace home and was never found.

Goodies,

Stan

Mark Bloch
Police Constable

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 6:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi James--
Thanks for your comments. I think your book is a great book, but I am still not convinced of Wallace's guilt. The problem I have is that in your foreword (I believe?), you state that it proves Wallace as the murderer without any reasonable doubt - I have a problem with this, for which I have stated in earlier postings.
It is a marvellous case though that will forever cause discussion/debate!
thanks for the good wishes.
Mark

Mark Bloch
Police Constable

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 5:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even if Parry never had any witnesses, I am not convinced of his guilt anyway. I find it hard to
believe that if he murdered Julia he would have
divulged it to anyone (as John Parkes claimed).
My mother told me many years ago that her family claimed that Julia Wallace wore a face veil, due to the fact that she had a birthmark on her face. It was thought that this was what made some people think that it was Wallace dressed up in Julia's veil to answer the door when Allan Close knocked at the door on the evening of the murder.

Barry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in England and have a info on the Wallace case. Also have a recorded DVD of 'The Man From The Pru' Would love to correspond with anyone interested in this case or the Charles Bravo and other British unsolved murders.

Find it difficult to join this web site as postal applications only seem to be the only way of joining.

bcwresearch@aol.com

Barry Weston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is my second attempt, as an unregistered member, to secure a posting on this excellent web site. I would be very pleased to hear direct from any contributer on the Wallace case particularly James Murphy or Mark Bloch. I live in the UK.

bcwresearch@aol.com

Mark Bloch
Police Constable

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 5:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Barry -

Good to see you are on the site!

Mark B R

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Is there a Rock & Roll connection to this case? Was the McCartney who was scheduled to play chess with Wallace the evening he received the message from Qualthough any relation to Paul McCartney? And, was the Marsden's cafe, which Wallace frequented, in any way connected to the family of Gerry Marsden of Gerry and the Pacemakers? The geography is right at least.

Best wishes,

Stan

Mark Bloch
Police Constable

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 9:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just found a book here in Liverpool LANCASHIRE MURDERS. It has an extensive chapter on the Wallace Murder

M B R

(Message edited by Mark on September 26, 2005)

Alexandra Beechey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re: R & R connection. Don't forget that John Lennon lived on MENLOVE AVENUE close to Menlove Gardens West!

I don't honestly think the McCartney or Marsden connections would be the same family - Both names are common in Liverpool.

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alexandra,

Yes, I'd heard of the Menlove connection and that most tourists come there for the Beatles knowing nothing about Wallace. I wonder if Lennon knew anything about Wallace, coming along many years later.

Best wishes,

Stan

MTR
Police Constable
Username: Rigby

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 4:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding the book mentioned by Mark Bloch above, if it's the one by Hayworth (?) I flicked through that chapter in a local library the other day. Thought he rushed to a conclusion quite poorly.

He said it would have taken Wallace mere seconds to have put a murder weapon in a coal-dust midden in the back alley. And whilst true that's hardly consistent with his intelligence (as if the police wouldn't search in those or the 'binmen' find it !) and he then posits that Wallace was tempted by the fruits of other women on his rounds but was rebuffed by them because he was married (hence, a motive arises). All written purely imaginatively and without any proof whatsoever.

Seems to me like the author was pre-convinced of Wallace's guilt.

There's a very good synopsis of the case here tied into a 'review' of Roger Wilke's book.

Incidentally, most (all ?) of the Hayworth book can be read online at Amazon UK as that title has the Search inside this book feature enabled.

Mike.

Mark Bloch
Police Constable

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 4:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike--

I recently read the Hayhurst WALLACE chapter. I totally agree with you. His 'theory' that Wallace might have befriended a recent widow/lonely older woman (indicating motive) is to me, rather flimsy. Firstly, Wallace, if found guilty of killing Julia would be sentenced to death - NO GAIN. Secondly, if cleared, he would hardly be able to indulge in any subsequent relationship without casting considerable suspicion on himself, and in the process causing widespread gossip. As for the midden conclusion -I agree with you again. Also, Hayhurst claims that Wallace probably named RG Parry after hearing John Parkes' story of Parry visiting the garage to have the car hosed down. As far as I was aware, Wallace named Parry before Parkes's story came to light.

Mark B R

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.