Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Henry Wainwright Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » East End Crimes and Criminals » Henry Wainwright « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another little set of images that might be of interest.

face

Henry Wainwright was hanged in 1875 for the murder of Harriet Lane in the storeroom of his shop at 215 Whitechapel Road in June 1874.

Here's a couple of images from THE MURDER GUIDE TO LONDON by Brian Lane.

This first shows Wainwright's shop on the left of the image. The shop on the right shows the numbering was changed at some point later on (no doubt Rob Clack will know!).

shop

This next shows a map of Wainwright's property. The murder occured in the area at the back.

map

Here's the street sign of Vine Court as it looked yesterday.

sign

And finally...

When Rob, Chris and myself went to the site yesterday we didn't know for sure which part of Vine Court the murder occured in so just snapped away. The irony was, around the corner we found a quaint looking doorway in good repair, made of iron or steel with a letterbox and covered in rivets but nevertheless of great age. I thought it looked great. It now turns out this was the back of Wainwright's storeroom.

However, I did take this shot looking down the alley leading to it. The building set furthest back and the one closer on the right are parts of Wainwright's property.

2005photo

PHILIP

(Message edited by philip on September 01, 2005)

(Message edited by philip on September 01, 2005)
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 663
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 8:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took these yesterday of the back of Wainwright's storeroom.

Rob

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4089
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hutch and Rob,

Great pictures! The Wainwright case is a very interesting one and it is amazing that the buildings are still there! And in relatively good condition! I didn't know this.

Strange, though: I recall I once believe I saw a photo of Wainwright and there he had no beard...

Great stuff and info, guys!
This is one of my favourite cases from London before the Ripper.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/historian

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 770
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob - come to see a man's storeroom, have you, you cur?

PHILIP

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 880
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great pictures. Now we need one of Harriet Lane (before her demise), one of Henry's brother Thomas, and one of Alfred Stokes.

Jeff

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 771
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 7:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And one of Emma Smith and one of MJK alive and one of Aaron Kosminski and one of Joe Barnett and one of AP Wolf.

PHILIP

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4094
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeffrey,

Unfortunately I can't find any pictures of either Harriet Lane or Alfred Stokes, nor Henry's brother Thomas.
I found these two by browsing the Internet, though (I bet they are quite common and have been seen before, but still):

wainwright

app

If any of them should mean problem from a copyright point of view, it is up to Spry to delete them.

The upper one is from a very interesting website called Linda's Crime Notes (www.parmaq.com/truecrime) and is supposed to show a photo of the weapons Wainwright used.

The picture below is a wood engraving from Illustrated Police News, depicting Wainwright's execution at Newgate and is copyright of collage/cityoflondon.gov.uk.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on October 02, 2005)

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4095
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

I bet the one of AP Wolf would reach the same price levels as a photo of Mary Jane Kelly before her death.

All the best

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 882
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn and Phillip,

Glenn,the picture of the hammer and the hatchet is from the 1900 edition of Major Arthur Griffiths' MYSTERIES OF THE POLICE AND CRIME (Volume II of the three volume edition), and they are actually (or supposedly) to be found in the Black Museum of Scotland Yard.

Actually, there probably was a photograph of the cut up body of Ms Lane at one point - after all, that was how the remains were found in 1875. I once saw an Illustrated Police Gazette drawing of the moment when Stokes and the police constable discovered what was inside those packages Wainwright was unloading. They and the female actress Wainwright brought with him (as a
companion - it was a ridiculous decision), look horrified, and Wainwright horrified and embarraseed, as the arms, legs and head of the dead Harriet lie exposed at their feet. He must have been totally chagrined at the collapse of his scheme. I wrote about it in THE RIPPEROLOGIST last year.

Actually, Philip, the one that I really would want to see is the morgue shot (which the Thames Police would have to have taken) of the dead body of Montague John Druitt. I'm still surprised it never turned up.

As for Emma Smith, if we got a photo of the living Annie Chapman, anything still is possible.
By the way, we still need a good photograph of Dr. Tumblety (instead of those drawings), and I wouldn't mind some other photos of D'Onston.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3007
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 3:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glen,
I surmise that one of AP would be as likely as one of MJK D U R I N G her death!!!

Suzi

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 772
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 5:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all.

Here's 3 more then, presumably from the IPN - though I haven't been able to trace the source.

Firstly, the discovery...

wain1

Next, Wainwright the night before his execution being paid a visit by The Nemesis Of Neglect's exhibitionist brother...

wain2

And finally a strange event that occured shortly afterwards where a bunch of lads tried to hang one of their friends.

I would like to suggest that groups of teenagers making trouble in town centres on Friday nights should try this again.

wain3

PHILIP

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4099
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 6:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff,

Yes, Wainwright did a lot of stupid decisions and I believe he belonged to one of those characters who overestimates his own abilities, which makes them take unnecessary risks.

As for a photo of the remains of poor Mrs Lane, I'd say the chances for that being taken by the police is actually microscopic. I've seen a lot of old photos of murder weapons taken during the late 19th century, but I have never come across a crime scene photo or a photo of mutilated remains this old. Apart from the common practice of photographing people at the morgue for identification, I don't think it was natural police procedure as early as 1875, but I could be wrong.
I simply don't think they photographed it, and considering the early date, I would be very surprised if something like that turned up.

Philip,

Great pictures. I really enjoyed the IPN one.
Typical dramatic 19th century tabloid stuff.

As for the third one...
Ah, you know... kids... boys will be boys... :-)

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on October 03, 2005)

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 884
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

You are probably right about the chance of finding such a photo of Harriet Lane, but you are also right about not ever knowing what can turn up. I have a book (which I have been hoping to read for the last four years, about Paris in 1869 - 1871 (the last years of Napoleon III's Paris, and the events leading up to the commune. It is called PARIS BABYLON (I think that's the title), and in it's illustrations are morgue photos (from 1871) of victims of the Paris Commune battles. But there is also a set of photos of the children members of the ill-fated Kinck family, who were slaughtered at Pantin field by Jean Baptiste Troppman. These too are morgue photos. So, as we both admit, there is a miniscule chance.

Actually the first of the new set of illustrations was the one I saw - and I regret to say my memory played me false. The man who looked shocked and embarressed at the remains of Harriet was the bearded constable in the middle, not Henry. Henry and the unfortunate Alice Day (the actress/dancer whom had the misfortune to get a free ride with the preoccupied Henry) are not to be seen in the picture). I take it that Stokes may be the fellow in the derby like hat in the background.

Harriet's remains were in a pretty good state of preservation - Henry used the wrong type of lime to destroy the body, and as a result it actually preserved it. Typical, but the scheme (for a year, at any rate) was a clever one.

In the execution scene from THE ILLUSTRATED POLICE NEWS, the gentleman busy hanging Henry is none other than William Marwood. The picture seems to give him a larger nose than I thought Marwood had. He had a small moustache, and you can just notice it in the illustration. If you see a copy of John Laurence's A HISTORY OF CAPITAL PUNISHMENT, he has a nicer drawing of Marwood in it.

[Which means, by the way, Henry must have been given Marwood's innovation - the long drop.]

Best wishes,

Jeff

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff.

At the risk of being pedantic, I understand The Long Drop was invented in Ireland in the early 19th Century.

It was Marwood who made up the table for the correct drops dependant of weight and height.

Happy to stand correected though.

PHILIP

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 889
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 8:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Philip,

If it was the Irish who invented the long drop, and Marwood who perfected it, there is some irony in the extreme hatred they felt for Marwood. He was the executioner of The Invincibles in 1883, among others.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 665
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While wondering Brighton (with Liza and Alan) on Monday after the conference I bought a book on the Wainwright case, I didn't even know there was one. It's from the Notable British Trials series and was called 'The Trial of the Wainwrights' The photos Phil posted above were in it as well as this other one of Henry Wainwright

Rob

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 790
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 2:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob - Isn't it 'whilst'?

Mmm... what a handsome fellow he was too.

That was sarcasm.

PHILIP

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 666
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 4:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil,

I haven't the foggiest. I'll ask Caz, but she might say there should be an 'e' on the end

And what ever turns you on.

Rob

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob,

I was wondering if you meant 'wandering' Brighton?

Love,

Caz
X

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 667
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,

I'm wondering if my mind was wandering

I suppose I'll be having humble pie when we next meet.

Rob X

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.