Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Joseph Philipe aka the Terror of Paris Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Joseph Philipe aka the Terror of Paris « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Poorhoney
Sergeant
Username: Poorhoney

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 3:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,

I am trying to locate more information on Joseph Philipe, who, apparently, murdered a number of prostitutes in Paris, circa 1861-1866. I have spent a great deal of time searching the internet for more information, but the pickings are slim. If anyone has additional information, or could point me towards it, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you,

Poorhoney
Punxsutawney Phil is a groundhog!

Stanley D. Reid
Sergeant
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Poorhoney

From information I've accumulated, Philipe killed and mutilated 7 prostitutes from 1861-1865. He also murdered the child of one of his other victims. The last slaying occurred on January eighth of 1865.

He was captured on January eleven of 1865 after a failed attempt to kill another woman. Philipe went to the guillotine in 1866.

That's the basic information I have but I can probably scrounge up some more.

I hope this adds to what you already have.

Regards,

Stan

Poorhoney
Sergeant

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Stan,

Many thanks. The information you supplied fell very much in line with what I was able to find, only your's was far more detailed. What was your source?

Thanks again,

Poorhoney

Stanley D. Reid
Sergeant
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Poorhoney

Donald Rumbelow's JTR book has about two pages on this case in Chapter 11. It's on pages 250-252 in the hard cover edition that I have.

Hope that helps. I was always a little interested in this case and wondered if JTR ever heard of it himself.

Best wishes,

Stan

Poorhoney
Sergeant

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Stan,

Thanks for the tip. I haven't read my Rumbelow for years and now I have a reason to pull it off the shelf. (I use the Sudgen or A-Z when looking up Ripper related items.) I have a few other sources I am going to check and will post anything I think may interest you.

Warmest Regards,

Poorhoney

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.