Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Can anyone clue me in on the Le Touqe... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Can anyone clue me in on the Le Touqeut case? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stanley D. Reid
Police Constable
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all

Although I've not heard this unsolved murder connected to JTR, I would like to know more about it. As I recall it involved an English women who was slain while on holiday on the coast of Northern France during the early 1900s. She'd gone out on a walk alone and was discovered dead by the road after she failed to return. A transient type man had been seen lurking in the area at the same time but was never found.

I first saw this crime mentioned as an almost made it footnote to Colin Wilson's 10 Strangest Unsolved Murders in History which appeared in The Book of Lists #2. JTR was first on the tally of course. I've done web searches and have found nothing other than a recapitulation of the Wilson list which only gives the name.

I believe I've read about the crime in a Jay Robert Nash book called Open Files that I'd hired from the library. That was 10 or 15 years ago and they, or no other local library, any longer have it in stock and it's out of print.

Best regards,

Stan

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Chief Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 8:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan,

I found two accounts of the 1928 Le Tourquet Case. First there is an essay by G.B.Stern in a compilation called GREAT UNSOLVED CRIMES, published in 1935 by Hutchinson & Co. Ltd. It was reprinted by Hyperion Books in 1975. THe essay, entitled "The Le Tourquet Mystery" is on pages 197 to 204. The other account is in Henry J. Greenwall's THEY WERE MURDERED IN FRANCE (London: Jarrods, 1957), a book that discussed the large number of cases of British citizens who were killed in France, whose cases were never solved or were settled on relatively easy terms for the people who were convicted (the book went up to the murder of Sir Jack Drummond and his wife and daughter in 1952, supposedly by Gaston Domenici).

The victim in Le Tourquet was a wealthy Englishwoman, Mrs. Aline Wilson, who was on vacation at the resort there with her husband. She had been with a set of friends at a golf course, and was planning to return to her hotel. Instead of taking an offered lift, she decided to walk. She was found dead the next morning from multiple knife wounds. Although wearing jewelry nothing was stolen. There were several arrests by the authorities over the next four years, but nobody was ever convicted of the crime. I recommend the two accounts for more details (as nothing concrete was ever found I did not go into them. The most likely suspect was a deaf mute who was accused of other attacks on females).

Best wishes,

Jeff

Stanley D. Reid
Police Constable

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the great information.

The Drummond case is close to my heart as well because it occurred on my sixth birthday.

All the best,

Stan

Stanley D. Reid
Police Constable

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. I should say I'd have found more on this case if the name had not been misspelled in the book.

Stan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.