Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New Suspect named in Wimbledon Common... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » New Suspect named in Wimbledon Common Murder. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A man currently detained in Broadmoor secure hospital after raping and stabbing to death a young woman and abusing and smothering her daughter has recently been linked to the murder of Rachel Nickell stabbed to death in front of her young son twelve years ago while out walking with her son on Wimbledon common.
Twelve years ago they didnt have the DNA evidence to link the man to the murder.Recent advances in forensic science seem to be making it a possibility that a vital breakthrough is near to solving this infamous case.The new prime suspect is a paranoid schizophrenic known to have committed a string of sexual attacks as well as the murder,sexual assault and mutilation for which he has been detained in Broadmoor.
In the murder for which he has been detained he is cited as having got his victim to open her door to him under false pretences and then to have stabbed her in the throat,severing her spinal cord.He is said to have been a habitual "peeping Tom" who had watched his victim from an outside window when her boyfriend arrived.
Another person was arrested at the time who bore a striking resemblance to the new suspect and who may now be entitled to huge compensation as he was detained for a year and has endured public pillory as a result of no one else being caught.
Natalie

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie

Many thanks for this information. The probable linkage of the crimes and the known peeping Tom activities of the man in Broadmoor for raping and stabbing to death a young woman and abusing and smothering her daughter sound all of a piece for a serial rapist/serial murderer. Also sad to hear that a man who answered the suspect's description might have been wrongly put in the frame, but again not an unknown phenomenon unfortunately in the annals of crime. Thank God for DNA and other new scientific methods that can now definitively identify the perpetrator of such crimes.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,yes thanks to DNA there is much more hope of identifying the true perpetrators of these
murders.

Another point I think needs to be made with regard to the crime for which the man is detained in Broadmoor is that the police photographer who recorded the scene could not work for months afterwards because the mutilations were so hideous.This I think is where this case bears some similarity with the rippers behaviour.Outdoors[if indeed it is the same man]the attack was frenzied and there were many stab wounds but when/if he was able to attack indoors
then he apparently gave full vent to his crazed desires and a crime similar to that which was carried out on Mary Kelly seems to have taken place with a police photographer becoming severely traumatised by it.Terrible.
Natalie

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 7:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nat, Chris,

I always suspected that the Nickell murder was committed by a man who would not have stopped attacking women unless something had happened to make him stop - for example being detained for other crimes.

Just one more reason why I was sceptical about the previous prime suspect's alleged involvement, and the deep suspicions about him that have continued very much up until this latest revelation. For him it has been more a case of guilty unless proven innocent.

It appears that it has already been determined that traces of DNA found on Rachel's clothing belong to a male, and do not match her partner's DNA. I assume, in that case, it should have been possible to do a similar comparison at the same time with the previous suspect's DNA.

Assuming the police would have been able to determine no match there either, shouldn't this have been announced at the earliest possible opportunity?

Love,

Caz
X

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 7:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This just shows once and for all, that paranoid schizofrenics and disorganized killers can commit serial murders and be relatively hard to identify or catch. When people claim that this is not very likely the case, they are often referring to that those characters in general can't go on killing for a longer period of time without being captured, which in many ways is true TODAY but several cases also shows that this notion is a hopeless simplification.

In Sweden we've had several cases of serial killings where the perpetrator has been clearly diagnosed as disorganized, and Natalie's very interesting post just confirms what I've always suspected (and been supported by most profilers), namely that Jack the Ripper possibly was a disorganized killer in many ways, with some kind of schizoid disorder.

One must remember, that even if they could be easier to catch than a highly intelligent psychopath, we should acknowledge, that this is based on our knowledge and technical possibilities of TODAY; in 1888 the police were completely unexperienced regarding these categories of murder, and it would probably be much easier for a disorganized killer to pull it off, and disappear in the crowded East End, than it would be in our modern times.

A disorganized killer is not necessarily a raving madman; instead what often characterizes them is their common, boring look and their ability to blend in and not draw attention to themselves, unless they get in a certain situation. They are often alone and seldom has any friends. For the most part, they are the "plain looking loner walking the dog".

If one looks through published crime manuals and police reference books, that contains photos from crime scenes from a huge number of serial killer cases -- where it involves mutilations -- one will find, that those that most clearly resembles the crimes of the Ripper, are in fact performed by disorganized perpetrators, usually with a paranoid schizofrenic of some kind.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Want to buy some pegs, Dave?"
Papa Lazarou

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 4:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,
what you say makes absolute sense.I must admit I hadn"t thought of that.Ever since the court threw the case out against the first prime suspect I did ofcourse have grave doubts about the whole case against him and I think if I had at the time have been trying to solve the ripper mystery I may have concluded like you that someone capable of such a vicious killing-some 49 or 50 stab wounds would not have been able to stop unless detained.In fact the new suspect in the case was interviewed by detevtives in August 1992,the month after the horrific murder on the common
over a series of rape attacks across South East London.
He protested his innocence and agreed to give a blood sample which would have proved his guilt.
But he twice failed to turn up at a police station to provide the specimen.Officers failed to chase up their unfinished business and 15 months later he carried out the horrific murders of Samantha Bisset[27] and her four year old daughter in their South-East london home.
Miss Bisset"s mother was convinced that her daughter"s killer also killed Rachel.Margaret Morrison Miss Bisset"s mother died on the eve of the trial for her daughter"s murder nine years ago.
Caz,your guess is as good as mine as to why DNA matches weren"t arrived at earlier.

Glenn,
thanks for your post.Very informative.I too have more often than not thought The Ripper to have been a paranoid schizophrenic or "mixed type" as you say.I have found the case above a bit stunning in that this man ,thankfully now detained in Broadmoor,was so cunning about a]how to get into his victim"s flat
and b]how to evade capture over such a lengthy period ----and I agree with yourself and Caz that it looks as though he would have gone on committing these horrific murders had he not been detained-which brings us back to the ripper.Was he detained or did he die or commit suicide?

one final thought on this is that like the ripper it appears he went in for some very crazed mutilation when he had the room available.The police are saying he was given to stalking his victims and that he stalked his last one-presumably also working out how to enter her flat or at least get her to open her front door without arousing her immediate fear.
And yes Glenn-the mutilations seem to separate the sane from the insane.One assumes a police photographer would have been hardened to the site of violent assault etc but in this case it seems to have given him a type of shell shock---which was how Walter Dew described the effect the Millers Court scene had on himself and all who witnessed it
Best Natalie

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2218
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Natalie. I absolutely agree.
One thing that also comes to mind when one is studying these things and compares crime scene photos from the two different categories of perpetrators, is that while the mutilations performed by the "organized" (psychopathic) killer often bear clear signs of rape, sexual activity and torture, the mutilations designed by the "disorganized" (psychotic) killer is mostly cathegorized as "bizarre", and motiveless -- and with some sings of ritualism.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Want to buy some pegs, Dave?"
Papa Lazarou

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 4:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I had a response from the Mail reporter of the latest Nickell revelations, who thinks the previous suspect's DNA sample (assuming he gave one) would have been destroyed after his acquittal.

This would certainly explain why a comparison was not done as soon as the breakthrough was finally made to obtain DNA evidence from Rachel's clothing.

Have a safe and peaceful weekend all.

Love,

Caz
X

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Caz and Glenn for those very useful pieces of information.I will certainly hold on to the way you have distinguished between the psychopathic killer as opposed to the disorganised/psychotic type Glenn-really helpful.
Anyway Caz it looks as though the true killer has been found at last-thankfully.
Best Natalie

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been reading today"s Observer and Independent where both have been taking up the case of an apparently innocent man wrongly accused,then aquitted but still without compensation for years of witch hunt by certain of the tabloid"s etc.
However I think this might not be the place to be discussing the rights and wrongs of the sorry affair except where it might impinge on the ripper suspects of the time.
Apparently Britain"s leading profiler advised detectives to investigate clues linking the murder of Rachel Nichell with the brutal killing of another young mother.Further there are striking similarities between the Green Chain rapes,the Bisset murders and the killing of Rachel Nickell:All featured savage sexual assault and in the case of Ms Nickell and Ms Bisset,extreme mutilation.
Now Paul Britton who was brought in to solve all three cases was brought in in the first instance to advise on the green chain rapes.Mr Britton,a psychological profiler on whom the television series "Cracker" is based apparently gave the police three pointers which he said would lead them to the rapist:

-the attacker would already be on their records for minor offences

-he would have been noticed by neighbours

-his suspicious behaviour would have already been mentioned atlocal police briefings.

he added" we were looking at an escalating offender.My advice was to look at the case from a local level."

Interesting information if we think of who this might fit viz a viz the suspects.Clearly as Glenn has pointed out above,the man they seem to have needed to find was such a murderer-especially with regard to "escalation from minor through to sexual assault frenzied killing and finally gross mutilation....
....and "being unable to stop"......unless detained or through death/suicide.I think there are only a few such people who the police at the time suspected Kosminski appears to have been one of them[detained in 1891]and Druitt the other[found dead in December 1888].
Natalie

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 4:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A ps on the above post;
Thomas Cutbush was also detained in 1891.Was known to the police as an "oddball" and you can"t help wondering why Machnaghten"protested so much"!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3454
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie

I've had a look to see if there were any odd little incidents in Newington prior to 1888 but I think all I found was a severed arm. I need to get down to Lambeth some time and look at the local papers. I think there is one newspaper from the 90s at least.

I'm sure there was a Press report on Casebook of a man detained and then released during the murders, whose address was "Albert Buildings" but I have not been able to locate it.

Robert

Frank van Oploo
Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 354
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 6:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie,

Very interesting stuff. I haven't had time yet to read more about it, but I'm sure I will. At the beginning of this year I devoted a post to the Bisset case, which may be of interest to you. Here’s a link to the thread: ../4921/9015.html"#C6C6B5">

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that link Frank.When I first read about Mr Britton"s psychological profile of the killer it was the first time I felt that here was a killer who seemed to have numbers of similarities with Jack the Ripper,which from reading your link it clearly states that Mr Britton thought so too----especially with regard to the murder of Mary Jane Kelly.
It appears that microscopic traces of DNA that were found on Rachel Nicholl"s underclothing
apparently match the DNA of the killer of Ms Bisset.
All this means big legal stuff as you"ve probably gleaned.
Whatever-the case is worth watching since it provides information about how this killer developed over the years and months leading up to the killing of Ms Bisset-extra ordinary in its similarities to the Millers Ct Case and MJK.
It shows too how a killer can suffer from the very serious mental illness of Paranoid schizophrenia and yet plot his killings[when he really needed to kill and mutilate in a certain way]]with great care,planning and caution].We also read that when he carried out the rapes he didnt appear to have taken such care not to get caught and was sometimes quite reckless.
The murder of Rachel Nicholls to my mind bears some strong similarities to the murder of Martha Tabram .The one was however in broad daylight as the young woman walked her dog with her two year old son whereas the other was in the small hours of the morning and was also in several other respects very different indeed.But where they do resemble one another is in the actual attack-with both victims suffering frenzied knife attacks-something like fifty in the case of Ms Nicholls
and almost forty in the case of Martha Tabram.
One other matter drew my attention and this was the recorded information about the Broadmoor murderers attempt at committing suicide prior to getting caught.I have since started rethinking
the remarks of some of the police involved in the ripper case-especially with regard to Anderson,Swanson and Machnaghten.
Which of the suspects ended their lives either in Broadmoor[Cutbush]or an asylum[ David Cohen/Kosminski] or as a suicide[Druitt]..
Natalie

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 3:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,it would be good to read through those Lambeth papers.When I went to Collindale earlier this year it was to look up the Sun stuff of the 1890"s stating that Jack the Ripper was Thomas Cutbush.Judging from the background information the Sun had dug up on Cutbush he seems to have been a pretty dangerous and not unintelligent character-highly imaginative,inventive and resourceful when it came to evading capture,in trouble with the police for a series of poison pen type letter writing activities and unexplained absences from home etc-returning in the early hours "covered in mud".And ofcourse landing in deep trouble over "allegedly" stabbing at young women"s bottoms in the streets [I"m not sure if they were proven now-maybe AP could tell us].What caught my eye on the thread Frank gave us above was that this leading British profiler who investigated the Bisset case and others for the police compares the Broadmoor killer" s murder
of Ms Bisset with the hand of Jack the Ripper"s "final" murder in Millers Court.
And then I noticed too that when he was advising the police over a series of rapes committed a little prior to the murder[s] he tells them to look for someone who maybe "stabs at" young women.....!
Certainly Thomas Cutbush appears to have had serious enough mental health problems to warrant detention in Broadmoor[and not say "Colney Hatch or Hanwell Asylums for the mentally but not "criminally dangerous" ill].

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3469
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie

I don't know if the Lambeth newspaper(s) will actually have anything of interest, but when I do manage to get down there I will be searching

1. For any reports of THC's court appearances
2. For any account of Uncle Charles's inquest
3. For any odd things going on in the area - cats being mutilated, etc.

I would hope at least for a bit about THC's court appearance - my own local newspaper mentioned it, but only the briefest reference. I would hope for more from a Lambeth newspaper.

I think THC certainly has the right background - mentally ill, abandoned by father, brought up in female household etc. But of course more than that is needed to prove him to be JTR.

It's got to the point now, though, that as in the Druitt case, even if I one day knew for sure that THC was definitely not JTR, I'd still be interested in him and his family.

This site's got a lot to answer for

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.