Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Morrice Man Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Witnesses » Morrice Man « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An extract from his diary:

' I also helped the Rev. Basil Rust in the East End Parish where one of the worst Jack the Ripper murders had recently occurred and there was some panic among the “Ladies of Pleasure”! My knowledge of German helped, as the parish was full of Russian German Jews who spoke Yiddish. The shop signs in some streets were all in Yiddish and for 4d I occupied a place in the local theatre and watched a play entirely in that language. But they had a smattering of German and my visits were conducted in that language. I noted that the Germans nearly all powdered their huge noses long before their gentile sisters started this fashion. All these experiences were a great contrast to my normal existence and I had my first lesson in the horrors of poverty, hunger, dirt and smells! An attack of appendicitis added to the encircling gloom! Mother nursed me through it and as it was before Edward VII had it I ??? ??? losing my appendix. All this was while reading and beginning to realise the complication of theological views was horrifying to a keen man to realise the divisions among Christians. I began to read Bishop Gore’s books and addresses, of Winnington Ingram, Bishop of London and a certain promising young Vicar of Portsea, Cosmo Gordon Lang.'

Of interest is that he does mention the Police Seaside Home at Hove in his diary but I have not been able to find the reference.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.