Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Best, J. and John Gardner Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Witnesses » Best, J. and John Gardner « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anybody have answers to the following questions concerning the witnesses J. Best and John Gardner (who saw Stride outside the Bricklayer's Arms on the night of her murder):

1. Did they ever officially view and identify Stride's body? I seem to recall they did, but after two hours of searching I can not find any contemporary sources that attest to the fact. If anyone knows of an 1888 source that confirms this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. Did either Best or Gardner ever testify at the inquest or give an official police report? I can't find them in the Sourcebook or in any of the inquest records, yet the A-Z states that Best was a "witness at the Stride inquest." Is the A-Z in error?

Thanks!

PS: I've got a preliminary page up for Best and Gardner at: http://www.casebook.org/witnesses/best-and-gardner.html

If you happen to notice any errors of omissions there, please let me know.

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 383
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm fairly confident that neither Best, nor Gardner were at the inquest. James Tully came to the same conclusion. (see pg. 188 of his book). After the Chapman inquest, I'm convinced that Anderson wasn't keen on anyone being questioned too closely by Wynne Baxter. The cards were held close to the vest.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

Nothing much to offer Im afraid.

Except that in Eddlestones Encyclopedia there are references that Best (page 94) and Gardner (page 100) both did attend the inquest. I cannot find Eddlestones source for this though.

Ive tried to cross reference this with the sourcebook but like yourself I cannot find a jot.

Make of that what you will. Im not sure where Eddlestone got this info from if, indeed, it is correct.

Monty
:-)
Our little group has always been and always will until the end...

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3069
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty, R.J. -

Thanks for your input. Re: Best & Gardner at Stride's inquest, I've received a very helpful email from one of the A-Z authors stating that it was most likely an error on their part - neither Best nor Gardner were at Stride's inquest. Its a fair bet that Eddlestone got his information from the A-Z and just repeated the error.

As for my first question, apparently the answer lies in the Evening News of 1 October 1888, though I do not have copies of this paper.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

Stephen
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

No worries. Seeing as I cannot find any other reference to the 2 guys being at the inquest I feel Eddlestone may have gleamed this incorrect information from the A-Z also.

Tell Begg to pull his finger out and get and updated A-Z in circulation !!

Later,
Monty
:-)
Our little group has always been and always will until the end...

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3074
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks to Alex Chisholm for providing the relevant extract from the Evening News of 1 October 1888:

J. Best, 82, Lower Chapman-street, said: I was in the Bricklayers' Arms, Settles-street, about two hundred yards from the scene of the murder on Saturday night, shortly before eleven, and saw a man and a woman in the doorway. They had been served in the public house, and went out when me and my friends came in. It was raining very fast, and they did not appear willing to go out. He was hugging her and kissing her, and as he seemed a respectably dressed man, we were rather astonished at the way he was going on with the woman, who was poorly dressed. We "chipped" him, but he paid no attention. As he stood in the doorway he always threw sidelong glances into the bar, but would look nobody in the face. I said to him "Why don't you bring the woman in and treat her?" but he made no answer. If he had been a straight fellow he would have told us to mind our own business, or he would have gone away. I was so certain that there was something up that I would have charged him if I could have seen a policeman. When the man could not stand the chaffing any longer he and the woman went off like a shot soon after eleven.

I have been to the mortuary, and am almost certain the woman there is the one we saw at the Bricklayers' Arms. She is the same slight woman, and seems the same height. The face looks the same, but a little paler, and the bridge of the nose does not look so prominent.

THE MAN

The man was about 5ft. 5in. in height. He was well dressed in a black morning suit with a morning coat. He had rather weak eyes. I mean he had sore eyes without any eyelashes. I should know the man again amongst a hundred. He had a thick black moustache and no beard. He wore a black billycock hat, rather tall, and had on a collar. I don't know the colour of his tie. I said to the woman, "that's Leather Apron getting round you." The man was no foreigner; he was an Englishman right enough.

John Gardner, labour, 11 Chapman-street, corroborated all that Best said respecting the conduct of the man and the woman at the Bricklayers' Arms, adding "before I got into the mortuary to-day (Sunday), I told you the woman had a flower in her jacket, and that she had a short jacket. Well, I have been to the mortuary and there she was with the dahlias on her right side of her jacket.

I COULD SWEAR

She is the woman I saw at the Brickayers' Arms and she has the same smile on her face now that she had then.

Mystery solved... Best and Gardner did in fact both view the body at the mortuary. Thanks for the citation, Alex!

This begs the question, of course - why weren't either of these two men called to testify at the inquest?
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.