Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Now Available Online Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Doctor in the Nineties (Halsted, 1959) » Now Available Online « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3011
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The complete text of Chapter 3 of Doctor In the Nineties (1959), entitled "Jack the Ripper" is now available on the Casebook at:

http://casebook.org/ripper_media/rps.halsted.html

Halsted was a doctor in Whitechapel at the time of the murders, and he describes in vivid detail his memories of the crimes, as well as of the general suspicions against medical men at the time. He believes the Ripper to have been a syphilitic, possibly a seaman.

(Message edited by admin on March 04, 2004)
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 651
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen:

Good work putting this material on the Casebook. As you may know, I have written about Halsted for Ripperologist, I believe back in 1998, one of my first articles in the magazine where I now serve as North American editor. N. P. Warren has looked further into Halsted's career and shown that Halsted was not a fully fledged doctor at the time of the Ripper murders but rather a resident or intern.

One other thing, although the main part of Halsted's discussion of the Ripper murders and being in Whitechapel at the time of the crimes is contained in the chapter you have put on Casebook, I think you will find that there are a couple of paragraphs in the following chapter. Therein he talks about going to work as a doctor with the North Sea fleet and talks I think a bit more about his theory about the Ripper expressed in the prior chapter that "I believe that after the last murder in November he joined the North Sea fishing fleet, where he was well out of the reach of the Law, and his presence would pass almost unnoticed among the scum of humanity who were to be found on those ships."

All the best

Chris

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3015
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris:

As Halsted was only 22/23 in 1888, it would not surprise me for him to have been more of an intern than a full-fledged doctor. Here is a photo of Halsted in the 1880s:

And here is the additional text from the following chapter, detailing Halsted's suspicions that the Ripper was a North Sea fisherman:

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.