Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Most accurate Jack The Ripper Movies Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Movies » Most accurate Jack The Ripper Movies « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Taylor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just wondering. What are some of the best/most accurate Jack The Ripper movies? I'm new to the case and things click easier in my head through visuals, like movies. Though I've read almost everything on this site.

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jan

The 'Jack the Ripper' T.V. series with Michael Caine is fairly accurate where the murders and investigations are concerned (if you ignore the Coach in it).

'Murder by Decree' is in my opinion the best Ripper movie. I don't believe the theory in it but it is the most entertaining and has great atmosphere and the victims are portrayed as human beings.

All the best

Rob

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 729
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 3:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
The simple truth , there has not been an accurate film to date,we have never got a down to earth portrayal of events.
None of the actual murders have been shown as they were, ie. eddowes standing at church passage, stride being attacked, chapman being accosted, and kellys walk back to her room , with hutchinsons man.
All we get is characters like Barbara windsor, leaving a public house, and walking a hundred yards, when a shadow engulves them, and a petrified look on there faces appears.
I have said this before, how refreshing it would be, for accurate events to be seen, and the victims to resemble the originals.
Is that asking to much?.
Richard.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 2:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi
I think JTR TV movie is by far the worst portrayal of Robert Lees I've ever seen!!!!!
Have I ever mentioned, I like the bit with the black cat....
I also think its a bit below par
I like the bit where RJL is run over, classic!!
Jennifer D. Pegg

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Niall Macginnis was excellent as Robert Lees in the Jack the Ripper episode of 'The Veil' hosted by Boris Karloff, for some strange reason they changed Robert Lees name to Walter Durst.

The Robert Lees in the Michael Caine series reminded me to much of Lon Chaney in 'The Phantom of the Opera', mind you it might have been deliberate.

Rob

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boris Karloff, Have I heard of them in relation to JTR b4?
Perhaps i was dreaming?
Jennifer D. Pegg

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 2:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer

Back in the late 50's, ten episodes for a t.v series called 'The Veil' were made. They were never broadcast, but in the 70's three compilation movies were released with four of the episodes stitched together. One of the movies was called 'Jack the Ripper'.
That movie was shown on t.v in the early nineties, I believe it was on the Bravo Channel.

The episodes are available on Region 1 dvd.

Rob

justindombrowski
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 05, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I plan on making a short film runnig about 60 minutes made with claymation somewhat of a docudrama about jack the ripper and am making it as accurate as possible. I will continue to post here and all and also post a possible website/ forum in the future for you all to see.

if you have any questions contact me at
tripodfilms1989@yahoo.com

thanks,

~Justin Dombrowski
Director and creator of
"THE AUTUMN OF HELL"

Eddie Derrico
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to see a new Ripper movie come out in black & white. With foggy streets at night. They are always the scariest to me.

Yours Truly

Eddie

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.