Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New Release Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Whitechapel Murders - Solved? (Plimmer, 2003) » New Release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This one seems to have come in under the radar...

Whitechapel Murders-solved?
John Plimmer
Paperback 357 pages (November 2003)
Publisher: House of Stratus Ltd; ISBN: 0755113659

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0755113659/casebojacktherip
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 879
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blimey! Another one who has "solved" the case..?

Interesting.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2912
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't tell for sure, but this book may be a reprint/new edition of Plimmer's previous "Footsteps of the Whitechapel Murderer". At the very least its by the same publisher.

I expect to receive my copy within a week or two and will post more info when I have it.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

S. Harsch
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. Not sure if this is the right "place" to post the question, but anyway . . . the other day I was visiting the Casebook, and on the homepage, there was an advertisement for a new book that I believe was from the UK. I wanted to order it, but today when I went back, the homepage had changed, and I don't remember the name of the book. help! LoL Please give me the information I need to order that book. Thanks y'all!

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2913
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi S. Harsch -

I believe the book you're interested in is ON THE TRAIL OF A DEAD MAN by Chris Miles. More information on ordering it is available at:

http://casebook.org/chrismiles.html

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 617
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just started reading this book having picked it up in a bookshop in Birmingham last week. I spotted seven glaring errors in the first four pages. Not recommended!
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have, unfortunately read Plimmers other book and I'm afraid I found it to be complete nonsense!

If this is simply a reprint then my advice would be to save your money.

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 579
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stopped reading when Plimmer had the Ripper escaping over Tower Bridge -- which would not be built for many years after 1888! It is nonsense. Don't waste your money as I did.

Andy S.

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, after finishing the book, I can't recommend it highly enough.... for entertainment value. I mean, every Ripper book on the shelves makes the odd mistake, and one or two of the old chestnuts usually fall through the gaps. I'm sure my own effort will contain a few points for folk to criticise. But Plimmer achieves something sensational here, by not merely repeating some of the old mistakes, but each and every single one of them, as well as adding a few new ones of his own! Priceless.
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

The sad thing is, he released this book years ago under another title. All the mistakes were pointed out at that time. And, from what I understand here ( I will NOT buy this book!), he hasn't bothered to fix them. Shame on him!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 885
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Tom and Alan

More proof if any is needed that the money incentive money and certain authors' publishers' less than worthy motives too often override scholarship in the Ripper field. sad

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Yes, sort of like Melvyn Fairclough coming clean and admitting he'd been duped by Gorman, and that his book was rubbish - THEN, following the release of the film 'From Hell', getting the book re-published! I couldn't believe it!

So, when do we get treated to a Ripper book from your more-than-capable self. It's not like you can't write. Heck, you're already a published author, have edited a Ripper mag singlehandedly, and now co-edit the leading mag. I'd MUCH rather see the name of Chris George on a Ripper book cover than some of these charlatans who come on the scene for a year, put out a book full of half-truths, then disappear. And I know most would agree with me. So, Chris, not to put you on the spot, but WHEN? :-)

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 886
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Tom

Thanks for your very kind words about my writing and publishing ventures. I can't say more about it now, but I am hoping that I might have an announcement before long about a publishing deal for a title related to the Whitechapel murders. Again, thanks for your support, Tom. Much appreciated.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,
Best news I've heard in a while! Best of luck and hope we see it soon!
Kelly
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2925
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Best of luck with your book. Is it PC Richard Brown, or are your lips sealed?

Robert

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 887
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Robert

Without saying more, I should think that P.C. Richard Brown should at least get a look-in in the book. "What's all this here, then, eh?"

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 617
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although I cannot recommend the book as a serious piece of scholarship, if anyone is looking to complete his or her collection of Ripper literature my copy of Plimmer is for sale cheap at eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2495916111&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Andy S.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.