Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

To Be Published in November 2003.... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs, The (McLaughlin, 2003) » To Be Published in November 2003.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2824
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 7:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs
Robert McLaughlin
Zwerghaus Books, October 2003.
ISBN: 0-9733794-0-5
Softcover
Casebook Review: No review.
Reader Review: N/A

This short, profusely illustrated book explores the photographic aspects of the Jack the Ripper case. It will contain a reprint of the Ripper chapter from Alexandre Lacassagne's Vacher l'Eventreur et les crimes sadiques (1899) along with an English language translation, analysis of the two "new" photos, and original research on the man who photographed most of the Whitechapel victims. This will be the first book to publish all of the known victim photographs of the case. The author also discusses a book that published a photograph of Mary Kelly before Lacassagne and explores how the victim pictures ever ended up in France and whether they still exist. Many other related issues are also dealt with.

The book is a small venture and will be self-published by the author. The initial print run will be around 200 copies. The foreward will be written by Richard Whittington-Egan, and the layout of the book is by Adam Wood. The price has yet to be set because of the large number of photographs. It will depend on the printing costs, but is likely to come in around £15.

The date of publication will be October/November, or one month later than stated in Ripperana and Ripperologist.

Any questions can be sent to the author directly: lacassagne@email.com.

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Lisa Turner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Stephen

Have I missed a thread somewhere, 2 new photographs??

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2826
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lisa -

The photographs are not "new" really. Lacassagne published one photo each of Kelly and Eddowes in his 1899 book - they are different prints of the same photographs (the Eddowes pic is slightly altered). I believe Robert's goal is to document these two unique prints and discover how they made their way into France some seventy years before they were published anywhere else.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 2:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,
this book looks interesting, however, not the knid of thing i would keep on my coffee table!
jp

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 3:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Attention All:

I would like to thank those of you who have ordered my book. The numbers have exceeded my expectations and I expect my small print run to sell out. I just wanted to inform everyone that the book is going to be a little late. The process of writing and publishing is taking longer than expected. Adam Wood and I are doing the layout right now as I wait for one last key piece of research to arrive. It will not be ready until the New Year. All I can do is apologize and ask for your patience. But I promise to let everyone know once I have an exact release date.

Anyone interested in ordering a copy can do so through myself (just click on my name), Loretta Lay Books http://www.laybooks.com/index_tc.asp ,
and Murder One Books http://www.murderone.co.uk/

Thank you,

Robert

Sarah Long
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

Just to say that I've looked for your book on both of those websites and I can't find it. Maybe you should whether they are still on there.

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 3:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah,

My book is not listed at either site because the pricing and release date have not been set. Both Loretta and Murder One are accepting orders, though. Just have a look at Loretta's homepage or message board. The ordering information and synopsis of my book are there.

All the best,

Robert

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 8:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert -

When do you think the book will be released? I'd love to order one when it does come out :-)

crix0r

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jason,

As soon as I have a release date, I will post it here. You can order a copy now if you wish. Due to the small print run, I can not guarantee there will be any available after publication. Orders have already been taken for half the print run.

If you (or anyone else) wish to contact me for further details, I am always happy to answer any questions. The best way to reach me is: lacassagne@email.com as I often miss Casebook messages.

All the very best,

Robert

JDombrowski
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

are you still selling copies?

regards,

Justin

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 1:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The book is finally finished and will debut in Brighton, October 7 - 9. If you are not attending the conference, you can order by contacting any of the people below. If you have already ordered a copy expect an e-mail soon. Any questions or comments, feel free to contact the author after October 13, 2005. Thank you very much.

The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs
Robert J. McLaughlin
Foreword by Richard Whittington-Egan
Zwerghaus Books
ISBN: 0-9733794-0-5
(Softcover - 184 pages, 80 illus.
£18, $32US, $37.50CDN, €26.50 (for a numbered and signed copy - 100 total)
£15, $26.50US, $31CDN, €22 (for an unnumbered copy, which the author will gladly sign)

This short, profusely illustrated book explores the photographic aspects of the Jack the Ripper case. It contains a reprint of the Ripper chapter from Alexandre Lacassagne's Vacher l'Eventreur et les crimes sadiques (1899) along with an English language translation. The author also discusses a book by André Lamoureux, which published a photograph of Mary Kelly five years before Lacassagne and discusses how the victim pictures ever ended up in France and whether they still exist. There is analysis of the three French photos, and original research on the man who photographed most of the Whitechapel victims. This is the first book to publish all of the known victim photographs together, including the French ones. It is not another attempt to solve the case; it is an examination of a unique aspect of the crimes of Jack the Ripper, for the photographs are the only remaining physical evidence left after 117 years. A total of 80 pictures are reproduced, some of them unfamiliar to researchers and readers of Jack the Ripper.

"Meticulously researched, written with admirable clarity, this work of Robert McLaughlin's is without doubt a scholarly and very real contribution to the mounting aggregate of worthwhile Ripper studies." Richard Whittington-Egan

Contact the author, or place orders through the people below:
Robert McLaughlin: lacassagne@email.com
Loretta Lay Books: http://www.laybooks.com/index_tc.asp
Murder One Books: http://www.murderone.co.uk/
Judy Stock: needler@ntelos.net (for US orders)

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4092
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 2:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Robert McLaughlin,

Let me congratulate you on the book being published.
The new cover looks good as well.

I will be one of the first in line to buy a copy from you in Brighton - a really interesting subject and angle you've decided to cover.
And I am really looking forward to hear your lecture.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on October 02, 2005)
G. Andersson, writer/historian

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 431
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just e-mailed Robert to get this book. I've been looking forward to it for a long time. The cover photograph is awesome! No doubt an important contribution to Ripperology, and certainly bound to be a successful one.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4096
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 7:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I absolutely agree, Tom.
This seems like great stuff indeed.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/historian

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.