Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Reviews and Thoughts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Jack the Ripper: The Definitive History (Begg, 2002) » Reviews and Thoughts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks,

**Some of you may know that I had two childhood heros. One was a certain Gary Winston Lineker. The other a Mr Paul Begg. What I am about to post has no link what so ever with any hero worshipping....it is a quite independant review..ok ??....just to make that clear.**

Just finished Mr Beggs latest JtR book....

...after dragging myself through Ms Cornwells tat this is a breath of fresh air.

One of the main attractions this subject brings to me is that it educates. This book does that and them some. My only gripe is that it ends so suddenly and on a subject that makes my toes curl.

That said, I thought it it was a wonderfully unique way of looking at the murders and its historical context.

Dont waste yer dosh on Sickert....buy this book............BUT IT NOW !!!

Well done Mr Begg.

Monty
:-)

I think your great !

Christopher DiGrazia
Sergeant
Username: Cmd

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty -

I don't know how often Paul reads this site, but since I'm sending some material to him, I will send along your thoughts on what, I agree, is a very good book and one which fills a much-needed space in the Ripper library.

You may (or may not) know that Paul is currently updating his first Ripper book, Jack the Ripper: The Uncensored Facts, which is certain to be a 'must-have' for both Ripper students and Beggodolatrists alike. The book is tipped for a fall publication date from Robson, but don't bet the mortgage on my say so!

Also, I understand Paul will be on the UK History Channel tonight talking about the Crown Jewels (the Captain Blood case, I think). So go and watch.

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CMD

Missed it Im afraid.

Please do send on my thoughts. I really enjoyed the book from 1st to last...even the chapter on the "Great Victorian Mystery".

Didnt know that there is to be an updated 'Uncensored Facts". I shall keep an eye out.

I had the chance to meet Mr Begg for a pint last year but to to a rail crash I was late arriving in London and therefore missed our planned liason.

Talk about gutted !!

Regards
Monty
:-)

Simon Owen
Detective Sergeant
Username: Simonowen

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've heard that the new edition of Mr Begg's book ' Jack the Ripper : the Uncensored Facts ' has a publishing date of August 24th. Can anybody confirm this ?

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 219
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, it's now called Jack the Ripper: The Facts, and it's already out and making it's way to bookstores. www.LayBooks.com already has copies for sale, and I've got my review copy but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.