Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jack the Ripper; on-going Mystery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Television Programmes » Jack the Ripper; on-going Mystery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Detective Sergeant
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just caught the last 15 minutes of a show on the Discovery Channel called Jack The Ripper; on-going Mystery It appeared to be well done with interviews with most of the leading authors.

From what I could tell it discussed the case of Aaron Kosminski as JTR. It also featured a disclaimer that we probably will never know the true identity of the killer and if someone were to solve the mystery he/she wouldn't be believed anyway. I would agree.

It sounded like Martin doing the narration.

One thing confuses me. The show states that Kosminski was conclusively identified as the man Schwartz saw on the night of the double event.

When did it become established fact that it was Schwartz who made the identification. Perhaps I've missed something.

Best Regards
Gary

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it was anything I narrated, Gary, it didn't include that erroneous statement in my narration, though I would have no control over what the producer put in from talking heads or other audio interviews.
The last thing I did was contributions and a Ripper linkage for a series on Scotland Yard mysteries done for BBC for sale to Discovery Travel last autumn. This series should be identifiable by a certain amount of location work from Chief Superintendent Alan Moss: possibly also by the fact that my segments were filmed in the Pembroke Gardens Hotel where Neville Heath murdered Margery Gardner - something which may have been used in intro. (I would be wearing a dark blue suit, and at my fattest following hormone treatment for prostate trouble). As they've never sent me a tape, however, I just don't know what the ultimate overall argument was or what other people said.
All the best,
Martin F

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Martin

Yes the Schwartz statement was a bald assertion of fact in the voice over. Someone got their wired crossed or someones' opinion was misconstrued as fact. This may have been done for dramatic affect as they tried to wrap up the show in a more conclusive way than I am sure any of the authors would have wanted.

Darn the luck I was ready to wait up most of the night to see it repeated but this seemed to be the one night when the Discovery channel didn't repeat their evening lineup after midnight as they usually do.

It will show up again and I will tape it from the start.

Sorry to hear about your prostate trouble, I hope you're doing well.

All the Best
Gary

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doing fine, Gary, though for the first time in my life I would make a suitable candidate for a celibate monastic life.
All the best,
Martin F

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Martin

Glad to hear that you are doing well. My wife is a pharmacist (chemist) so I know what you are talking about. Sometimes the cure seems worse than the ailment.

Best
Gary

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.