Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jack the Ripper video game Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Games and Miscellany » Jack the Ripper video game « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently, a PC game about murders similar to the Whitechapel murders is in production. It's called, obviously, Jack the Ripper and takes place in New York in 1901. I know this isn't the actual Ripper but I figured I mention it anyway.

You can see videos and pictures on

http://pc.ign.com/objects/552/552553.html?ui=gamefinder

or just go to ign.com and search for "Jack the Ripper."

John Hacker
Sergeant
Username: Jhacker

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 8:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An interview with one of the designers of this game may be found at:

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=15543

There's even a nice mention of the Casebook!

"HomeLAN - How much historical research did you do for the game?"

"Philippe Gaudé - Game designer/screenwriter Florence Roche did a lot of historical research on the real case and on New York at the dawn of the century. The excellent www.casebook.org website and the Library of Congress picture collections were the most frequently used sources at that time. By immersing herself into the real case, she was able to create a completely fictional story that stays true to the myth of this elusive killer."

Regards,

John

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is an "abandonware" site which features many games, mostly free download as far as I can make out. And one of the free ones is about Jack!
The three I have seen that may be of interest to the patrons of these boards (doubtless there are more) are as follows:

Black Dahlia
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=2292

Jack the Ripper (Free game)
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=564

Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes (Free game)
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Lost+Files+of+Sherlock+Holmes+1

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 2:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this the same game i found a description its funny!

Description:
While writing a series of articles about horrible murders in the Low Side District of New York, the young reporter Jimmy Palmer will soon become involved in a game of cat and mouse with an illusive and deadly character - Jack the Ripper. Along Palmer's dark journey he will foster a friendship with a young singer, Abigail, the "Irish Nightingale," and meet numerous other colorful characters of this poor district.
Beginning with the search of witnesses to the crimes, Palmer's snooping will soon lead him to investigate suspects. His daily editorials trigger the interest of the serial killer himself, who begins to correspond with Palmer via the newspaper, leading Palmer to surmise that this killer is the infamous Jack the Ripper!

jennifer

Jeff Leahy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer

Promise to contact you in the new year about Lee's. Have been very busy with other things for now.

As you know I have been creating 3D models (very accurate) of the murder scenes. They look fab. So the thought did occur to me that they would make a great background for a video game. The problem is that I dont really wont to be involved with anything in bad taste.

If anybody has any ideas how they could be used in a constuctive video game with desent taste however, then I'd be more than willing to use them. I also have the contacts with games industry (having worked in this area before) the problem would be coming up with a Jack the Ripper video game that was informative and accurate and said something constructive about J the R .

Any one with idea's (my thoughts are Cludo Style) with various suspects. I'd be most interested in. Or is this just bad taste? I'm just not sure. Interested in opinions.

Jeff

Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to do an interview with a Video game designer if anybody reading this is one please email me back. i need to ask you a few questions.

James Jeffrey Paul
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought the game and have started playing it. It's a fascinating game, but I've gotten a bit "stumped," so I cheated and ordered the detailed guidebook to the game! Soon I'll get that guide and will be able to play right through!

It is an EXCELLENT game, and I highly recommend it.

L.K. Cook
Police Constable
Username: Xinda

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 7:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just ordered "Jack The Ripper" pc game from e-bay. From what I read here it takes place in New York, so how historically accurate can it be? Are the victims names and scenarios accurate? What about the investigators? Is there a strategy guide available for this game? Thanx for any info......Xinda
Xinda

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I have had the game for a while now, It plays alot like a CSI game. The game is total fiction. It is set in Newyork. Jack has fled London and has continued his murderous ways in Newyork. I have not beat the game and like James I may have to get the guide. I enjoy playing the game.

All the best,CB

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 331
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Xinda -

If it's the older version of the ripper game (i.e. late 90's) this would be the link in which you are in search of.

If it's the one that came out a few months ago, I don't think there is a guide yet, or if there is, it's hard to come by. However, this did seem to be pretty decent.

Hope that helps,
crix0r
"I was born alone, I shall die alone. Embrace the emptiness, it is your end."

Alan O'Brien
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[i]There is an "abandonware" site which features many games, mostly free download as far as I can make out. And one of the free ones is about Jack!
The three I have seen that may be of interest to the patrons of these boards (doubtless there are more) are as follows:

Black Dahlia
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=2292

Jack the Ripper (Free game)
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=564 ...[/i]

I downloaded that last-mentioned game. It runs in DOS, but it keeps telling me I have memory problems; I need more high memory - whatever that is.
Has anyone else here tried it? Any advice? What is the game like?}}}

Christopher Lowe
Sergeant
Username: Clowe

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 2:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know that legally you need the original disk to play those ROMS.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.