Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Bargain Basement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed (Cornwell, 2002) » Bargain Basement « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 03, 2003Jerry Only25 9-03-03  10:07 am
Archive through October 16, 2003Robert Charles Linfo25 10-16-03  3:04 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn and Robert

I believe the book that we are looking for has yet to be published with all due respect to Mr. Fisher. Speaking for myself I am looking for a forensically oriented book with illustrations of all of the wounds and analysis by a competent forensic pathologist working from the medical facts. Am I wishing for too much?

I would also like to see something Robert mentions and that is a complete map of all the significant locations which is large enough to truely show the killing grounds, victims residences, suspects locations etc., and which would put the whole vicinity in perspective. Many author's have tried this and there just isn't enough room without some kind of huge foldout map. Perhaps this would be an idea for presentation at the 2004 Conference.

As for the new suspect that Peter Fisher mentions, he gives no further information on him beyond what I stated. I'm frankly puzzled as to where this person came from and the evidence that proves he actually existed.

Don't forget the gorilla was a contemporary suspect who was seriously suggested by a sincere, if somewhat hysterical woman. I would begin looking for him in the various traveling circus's. If he was kept as a pet he may have inadvertantly been listed in the census records as a member of someones household. The search shall go on until fruition or Rosey's apocalypse forces enquiries to a halt.

All The Best
Gary

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

Perhaps a veteranary pathologist is just what we are looking for. If this gorilla is present today, it may be some kind of preternatural being like Spring-Heeled Jack.

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 486
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 4:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary

"I believe the book that we are looking for has yet to be published ..."

Aaah. Good.

"Speaking for myself I am looking for a forensically oriented book with illustrations of all of the wounds and analysis by a competent forensic pathologist working from the medical facts. Am I wishing for too much?"

Interesting. I though that what was Mr. Fisher had set to do. Dissapointing. Well, I do think there would be a possibility to achieve that, if some competent person or persons in the field would pick up the glove. I don't see why not. It would be a gruesome book, however...

Regarding your request for more detalied maps of the murder sites and the premises, I agree with you. The maps inserted in the Ripper books are quite basic and not that detailed, as I see it. I think, doing it all on one single fold-out map would be difficult, though.

My suggestion is, that it would be best to make a very detailed map of each murder site or relevant place, where all buildings and smaller courts clearly show (maybe also added with scethes, like the one done by the poice over Mitre Square), and then also have a large, more basic fold-out map over East End, where the detailed maps are squared in and referred to with numbers, so one can get an over-view and easily find them. (To make a large, single map and at the same time make it detailed enough I think would be quite problematic!) These places could then be accompanied with relevant photos, old ones (if such are available) and modern ones (like here on the web-site).

Hey, Gary and Robert,

You didn't say anything about Fogelma. Have you read about him anywhere?

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector

Post Number: 487
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Damn that Frost! I bet he just took a few bites, grinned and then threw them away, as he always do with the sandwiches...

How's the gorilla? Will he be sleeping over?

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 4:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

If you're interested in maps, try Godfrey Maps. They've got 1873, 1894, and 1913 Whitechapel/Spitalfields old ordnance survey maps and are pretty inexpensive.

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

Oh, I've got Gary's gorilla, Mark's giant kangaroo and Monty's African elephant, plus Joe Barnett, who was so devilishly cunning that he decided not to die - thus fooling Scotland Yard's finest, the doctors and the undertakers.

"Sure, that oi did!"

He's quite harmless now. Not only is he very old -over 140 - but he's just slipped on one of Frost's carelessly discarded banana skins and broken his leg.

I have a bit of information about Fogelma, from the Mammoth book. Melvin Harris quoted a newspaper item from 1923, written by "a student of criminology." According to this student, JTR died in Morris Plains Lunatic Asylum in America in 1902. He was identified at the asylum by his sister Helen Fogelma. He was a Norwegian sailor who had fits of insanity at the asylum, and used to mutter about the JTR murders. His sister said that he had kept newspaper cuttings about the murders, with sarcastic annotations. He turned up on his sister's doorstep in New York in 1898, destitute, and she took him in. Later he ended up in the asylum, and reportedly confessed to a priest before he died.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, Dave! Very useful.

Robert

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector

Post Number: 489
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

I think Barnett is haunting us all, thanks to a couple of characters here on the board ...

A slip of ironi that he should survive all the detectives and undertakers for over hundred years, and then become victim to a ... banana skin! Uuups. What shall we tell Leanne and Richard...?

"Mark's giant kangaroo"...???????????

Aaah, so that's the story about Fogelma! Thank you, Robert. I just wondered why he was among the suspects here on the Suspect message thread and I didn't find any info about him in the books. Of course it was in one of the few books I don't have... The Mammoth. (The other one is the A-Z book). Thank you, Robert.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector

Post Number: 490
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the map link. Very useful.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Alan Sharp
Detective Sergeant
Username: Ash

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, I tried to get the A-Z but it's out of print, will have to start searching the second hand shops and book fairs. In the meantime though there is a new-ish book on the market, Jack the Ripper: An Encyclopaedia by John J Eddleston, which I bought recently and is very handy in this respect. By all accounts it isn't as thorough as the A-Z but it is pretty handy if you just want to look up the basic facts about something or someone in a hurry.

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, thank you, Alan.

That I absolutely haven't heard of. Thanks for the tip.
Regarding A-Z, have you checked if there are any available second-hand ones on the Amazon site? Would be a good idea to check out the LAYBOOKS website as well. I have no money at the moment, so I'm beat either way..

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 315
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 4:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn and Alan

My wife is always telling me I have no money for more books, looks like we are in the same boat.

As for the A-Z, I have heard that a 4th edition may be in the works. But from what I can gather we shouldn't expect it any time soon.

Best
Gary

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector

Post Number: 499
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 8:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan,

"My wife is always telling me I have no money for more books, looks like we are in the same boat."

Yes, apart from the fact that I'm single. My microscopic income and the flies inhabited in my wallet speaks its clear language nevertheless, I'm afraid...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Alan Sharp
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually that was Gary, I am also unmarried (been there, done that, got the tee shirt as they say). My BRAIN keeps telling me that I have no room for more books as they are currently overflowing out of my tiny flat, but I keep buying more anyway!

Dan Norder
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 1:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gary wrote:
" If this gorilla is present today, it may be some kind of preternatural being like Spring-Heeled Jack."

Well, there were the reported attacks of the mysterious "Monkey Man" in India two summers back, which were very reminiscent of the Springheeled Jack phenomena. I had chalked them up to mass hysteria, but, hey, you never know. maybe it's our monkey, man. It'd make more sense than some Ripper theories anyway.

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about that, Alan! That's what you people here call a "Freudian slip", isn't it?

I see we have the same problem regarding books, by the way, Alan (right person, this time)!

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 9:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All

A quick correction to something I stated above. There is no fourth edition A-Z in the works.

My third edition is falling apart and I normally treat my true crime books so well. Ah-Well.

All The Best
Gary

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 508
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary,

If the book is falling apart, then that must indicate that it has been quite well read and been useful, I presume?

Rats! I must get a copy of that, even though it's probably outdated on some details (I've heard there are some factual errors in it, but that can't be avoided, I believe...)

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 774
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 5:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Glenn,

My third copy is sitting on the shelf over there in two parts! I'll have to either glue it together or keep a look out in all the second-hand book shops for another one!

It's really handy when someone posts a comment and you want to quickly find out about what they are talking about. It's like an alphabetical encyclopedia. It's good for compiling crosswords too!

LEANNE

Belinda Pearce
Police Constable
Username: Belinda

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 7:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No new edition rats! It really would be wonderful to have a new edition. I have the 1993? I think and I look it up often the spine is still holding but getting worn.Oh dearPC Pearce

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 510
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 8:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all.

Bummer! Now I REALLY have to get a copy of it, since you here have advertised for it in such a positive way...

I see that your registration have come through, Belinda. Good luck with that and welcome to this group of crazies.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 8:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

If you can't lay your hands on the third edition, the second edition with Maybrick on the cover is a worthy substitute.- Oh dear, no doubt someone will be offended that I mentioned Maybrick.

All The Best
Gary

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 549
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 8:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We forgive you, Gary.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

John Savage
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All
Just a quick note to say that Miss Cornwell's little tome has now been remaindered in high street store "The Works" for the bargain price of £3.99p.
Don't all rush at once as there are plenty of copies to spare!

Regards
John Savage

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 5:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

Here is some reliable information on a 4Th edition of the A-Z. I was correct in my original post on the subject. A period of uncertainty has ended and we can expect that there will be a revised and updated edition. But, as previously stated, don't look for it any time soon.

All The Best
Gary

Alan Sharp
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 5:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just ordered a second hand copy of the third edition through Amazon yesterday. Eagerly awaiting it's arrival!

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 7:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great News

Ms Cornwell's book is already out in paperback and not only that it is updated. Hopefully the updated material points out that upwards of 90% of all humans share the same core DNA sequencing so her DNA analysis is of questionable value at best.

Best
Gary

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Gary. Great news indeed...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Shannon Christopher
Inspector
Username: Shannon

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 6:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, when you are done with it, pass her over here. I need something to house break the with...

Shannon

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 617
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 7:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shannon, I'll be happy to.
I did an experiment and a gave a few pages to the neighbour's and he enjoyed it very much. He thought the paper quality was quite good, actually.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

MeganB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cant belive I read this stupid book, The writting is so choppy and the "evendence" was so weak I found myself laughing My mom being a Cornwell fan she frimly belives that Walter Sickert did it.
Than I told her about Casebook I said that its a wonderful website on Jack the Ripper and she said "Well, patricia knows more about the case than they do!" I did all I could to try and keep the laughter inside me. I cannot belive my mom belives that rubblish Cornwell book. I want to know the truth behind the story, not some rubbish book on what a persons theory is on the case.

My best regards,
MeganB

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 800
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your post and your nice words about the Casebook.

Well, no disrespect to your mother at all, but Cornwell has her loyal followers, no doubt about it -- and that is maybe what saves her from falling totally flat.

One must remember, though, that she is a novelist first-hand and that she really didn't know anything about the case before she began writing the book (and didn't bother to read up on other authors' theories and taking part of their knowledge). So I believe, compared to the authorities on the subject -- who have studied the case for twenty years or more -- she is by all means an amateur in the field. That is why her approach should have been a more humble one...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Scott Petersen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should have visited this website before I read this ridiculous, inane book. I am so far from an expert on "Ripperology" that I am hesistent to even label myself an amateur Ripperologist, but even I can recognize crap when I step in it.

This book was actually painful to read. I am a former prosecutor and if anyone brought a case to me based on such flimsy evidence as Cornwell does in this book, I would have laughed them out of my office.

I agree with Mr. Andersson's post above that her book needed more than a little more humility and quite a lot less arrogance in its analysis.

The one positive thing about the book is that, through its utter lack of convincing evidence and reasoned analysis, it has compelled me to go about investigating other, and hopefully more reliable sources. To that end, does anyone have suggestions on what are the better books on this topic? Please email them to me if you can. Thanks.

Scott Petersen

Laura Ashley Waite
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

like scott above i also read this book and was very disappointed so if anyone could e-mail me the titles etc of any books worth reading i would be very gratful.
Laura Waite

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.