Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Honest Opinion? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Diary of Jack the Ripper, The (Shirley Harrison, 1993) » Honest Opinion? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jennifer Mohney
Police Constable
Username: Bootsoffire

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

After finally finding a copy of this out o' print book-I could not finish the thing. I was wondering if anyone else had trouble reading it? The material isn't difficult, it just reminds me of a high school students' first attempt at a research paper and I found it annoying. So annoying I had to put it down and pick up another book for comfort. A word I have been reading on the boards the last few days for this "work" comes to mind- Hogwash :-)

boots

AP Wolf
Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boots

That word 'hogwash' gets me every time.
Some people out there actually think that I wrote this pile of debris.
Well, I didn't get paid.
Actually there is a volume out there of this genre that even surpasses this one in its overwhelming desire to be thrown into a fast moving stream, and that is the muck thrown out by Peter Sutcliffe's wife titled something like "Voices from a Strange God."
I have a signed first edition copy which I float on water until it almost sinks and then I rescue it, and dry it off.
It is yours for fifty pence and I'll pay the postage.

Jennifer Mohney
Police Constable
Username: Bootsoffire

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP,

From your posts I'd never draw a connection between you & "The Diary" book. I think my first clue to NOT read it it should have been the "Soon to be a major motion picture starring Anthony Hopkins!" tidbit on the cover. (Did this actually ever come to light? I don't remember a film like that)

Thanks for the offer on the "book", I can always use new coasters for my coffee table, but would be a bit red in the face if anyone actually picked it up and had a gander, heh.

If you really want to send me something from the UK and pay postage- some smarties, Airwaves chewing gum, Toffee Crisp bars and those bourbon biscuits from Sainsbury's are always welcome. An overnight delivery of #76 Chicken Tama Rice from Wagamama will do as well...ohhh a and Chicken Korma, we can't get that here. Heh. I'll be glad to return something from state side! ;)

Yours,
Jenn

Leanne Perry
Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

READ IT....Critically!...Look for the tell-tale signs of a hoax and tell us here what you find!

It was the first Ripper book I read, got me intrigued, and so I typed 'Jack The Ripper' into my search engine and found this 'Casebook' site!

I posted my paperback copy to Julian Rosenthal, when I found an English hardcover origional at a second hand book shop! Why do I suddenly feel like a 'Mars Bar'????

LEANNE

AP Wolf
Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn

Can't send you any of the good old stuff you mention, disallowed by your postal service etc.
No, I would never have connected me good self with this lump of detrius, but some did, stand up Jack and be counted.
If they had made a film and Hopkins had played the part of the Ripper I imagine they would have called it 'The Silence of the Clams'.

Gary Weatherhead
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boots

I read a long time ago that Anthony Hopkins (my favorite actor) said he would turn down any role involving Jack the Ripper because he had 'played enough evil on screen.'

I wonder if this has anything to do with Johnny Depp becoming horribly miscast in the role.

Best Regards
Gary

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.