Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Books Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » General Discussion » Books « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through December 04, 2003Jason Scott Mullins25 12-04-03  9:46 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarah Long
Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,

He will go on endlessly anyway.

Do you mean the book "Letters From Hell"? If so, then I haven't read it myself. You may be confusing me with someone else.

Sarah

Jason Scott Mullins
Sergeant
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Sarah -

Sorry, yes, "Letters from Hell" is the title of the book I was inquiring about. However, the question was open ended and directed at anyone reading the post, not just you Madame :-)

crix0r

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, sorry. It did sound like you were directing it at me. At least it did to me. Maybe I just want everyone to talk to me.

Jason Scott Mullins
Sergeant

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hahahha.. Freudian slip? :-)

crix0r

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

David bashing is quite fun isnt it ?

I used to once.

Then one day he surprised me. Made me think differently.

Yes, sometimes he is annoying. Quite a lot of the time he is arrogant.

But on the odd occassion, when you sort through the crap, he comes up with a gem.

For me, he is well worth putting up with.

Just my views.

Jason,

Get the damn book. It is worth it.

Monty
:-)

Jason Scott Mullins
Sergeant

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey There Monty :-)

I wouldn't know about David bashing, as, I haven't really started bashing yet. I was going to, but I decided against it. As for his gems, I can't say one way or the other. To me he has shown nothing of the sort, but you've been around a lot longer than I have, so I'm sure you'd know better :-)

I do feel that if he would drop his attitude and stop trying to seem smarter than he really is, he'd be much more easier to digest.. Personal opinion of course. I'm biased though, he's attempted to insult me.. recently, so perhaps I have't calmed down from that!!

Speaking of, care to point out how he showed you a new way of thinking? Just curious, I'm in the leeching stage of my investigation.. so I'm trying to leech as much info as I can.

Good, glad you recommend it.. now, to see if I can get my local bookstores to get one in....

crix0r

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks, you're all just fueling him.

Monty
Inspector

Post Number: 472
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,

Ok, advice time.

When it comes to a Jewish connection then read Davids posts very carefully. Trust me.

As for his attitude, relax..its bad karma. Let it wash. He doesnt insult you personally, its directed at everyone.

Just smile my friend.

Monty

Natalie Severn
Sergeant
Username: Severn

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everybody,I can"t get my head round the argument somehow.Why on earth should we be told to use Philosophy?What can be said in their favour?From what I can tell they sit in ivory towers completly detached from reality as it is for thre quarters of humanity and talk a lot of nonsense.We had Descartes holding forth with"I think therefore I am and then Wittgenstein saying more or less the opposite to say nothing of Satre
and his reveries.Which school of philosophy and why philosophy to solve the identity of JtR who probanly spent most of his life in a world of make believe and fantasy.Natalie

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz--I call the following "Proverbs From Hell" (with apologies to Willy Blake and the Lusk correspondent)

1. Philosophy is for the Defeated.
2. Clever Odysseus never thought to think.
3. Logic is good, but revelation is better.
4. Hell isn't found in an olive grove.
5. Beware of Greeks offering gifts.
6. "Cracks are what let the light in"

The appropriate answer to your question is #5....for the time being. In the end, your good nose will sniff out what is far and what is foul.

P.S. It's a great bummer about A.M.P. It sucks. My apologies to the sensibilities to everyone here, but I'll forever curse the fact that just when a man (or woman) gets a measure of smarts and experience---he is whisked away to who knows where. Like many here, I corresponded with him a couple of times. He loved London. Damn it.

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"To Do is to Be" - Socrates

"To Be is to Do" - Sartre

"Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

This is all I have to say on the subject.

Natalie Severn
Sergeant
Username: Severn

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wish I could have put it so succincctly Alan!
RJ I liked no6.
Natalie

Jason Scott Mullins
Sergeant

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

/me will try to heed Monty's advice..

Oh, and another random Socrates quote

"I drank what?"

Ok, so he might not be on record with that one, but I'm sure it had to escape his lips at some point.

crix0r

Ally
Detective Sergeant
Username: Ally

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew is right. This is exactly what he wants. Everyone needlessly chattering about this non-existent theory. Every time someone asks, mentions or attempts to draw him out, it's just feeding the situation and has been for years. The absolute worst thing you could do to him would be to stop talking about him. I talk about him because I know he craves it. I do my part for the cause.

David, you're a bad boy. Bad.

Ally

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so anyway books..............!
jennifer

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer

I don't suppose Immanuel Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason" made it onto the big read list?

Robert

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 418
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert and All

I've added the book you mention to my list of books for light reading during the holidays.

I've been out of the loop. Why are we going on at length over someone who wants us to go on at length about him. I mean of course the Exalted One.

He must be dancing around his computer at all the talk.

It's back out of town for me.

All The Best
Gary

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 419
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

As has been previously mentioned the 'Exalted One' does make some points well worth considering.

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"...I talk about him because I know he craves it. I do my part for the cause. David, you're a bad boy. Bad."

Ally, I'm touched. I love you, too.

David

Dan Norder
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan, sounds like you were echoing (consciously or subconsciously) that line from that other great philosopher:

"De do do do, de da da da, Is all I want to say to you." -Sting

As far as books go, I saw Begg's "Jack the Ripper: The Uncensored Facts" in a used bookstore. Anyone got a thumbs up or thumbs down on that one?

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 420
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan

The book is well worth reading and would appeal to someone with a somewhat advanced understanding of the case.

I believe the publisher wanted to add 'The Uncensored Facts' to the title, despite the fact that Paul did not care for the phrase.

All the best
Gary

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say one more thing about David as I haven't been on here for a few days. Only a small thing so please don't jump down my throat. In reference to what Monty said about his insults being directed to all of us, this is exactly why I have no interest in what he says. If he feels that he needs to lower himself by insulting us then his posts are not worth anyone's time and effort. I have never heard him talking any sense Monty so that means that for at least four months he has said nothing but drivel.

Anyway, this doesn't need a comment and you can carry on talking about books as I don't really want to interrupt the thread again, I just needed to have my say.

Sarah

Monty
Inspector

Post Number: 479
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

I never mentioned anything about sense !!

Monty

Dan Norder
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gary,

Thanks for the info. I'll stop back to the store and pick it up if it's still there.

Dan

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"In reference to what Monty said about his insults being directed to all of us, this is exactly why I have no interest in what he says. If he feels that he needs to lower himself by insulting us then his posts are not worth anyone's time and effort."

>>And the greatest insult is precisely this: That there is no insult.

Saddam

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This does not belong here David. Take it to email. Here, follow my lead. I will email you.

crix0r

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.