Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New Bruce Robinson book Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » General Discussion » New Bruce Robinson book « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neal Shelden
Sergeant
Username: Neal

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For anyone who doesn't have the Daily Express there is an article (page 30) today about a new Jack the Ripper book by Bruce Robinson. Robinson was the scriptwriter of the films "Withnail and I" and "The Killing Fields" says he will reveal the truth.
Apparently, he has been working on the Ripper story for four years, and has done extensive research. He claims that the mystery surrounding the Ripper's identity was a political conspiracy by the establishment to protect the killer's identity.
The Express quotes Robinson:
"The 'mystery' is complete rubbish. They knew and I know exactly who the killer was.
By 1892 they knew his name unequivocally.
My book has taken four years and it will burst the mystery open once and for all.
It's the dirtiest political story I've ever come across.
The whole thing is a juggernaut of lies. The mystery is a complete invention - there isn't one.
When my book comes out people will either think I'm completely barmy or be appalled at how craven and cynical people could be."

Christopher DiGrazia
Police Constable
Username: Cmd

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 2:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neal, do they mention the publisher? I'd like to grab a review copy of the book.

Four years' research to blow the case wide open, eh? We will see. . .

Neal Shelden
Sergeant

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Christopher-Michael,
I should've explained that his book is in the pipeline, rather than imminent.
The article says in so many words that he was originally writing a film about JTR for a major film company, but he feared they would butcher it or change the locality to New York. No publisher mentioned.
I'll send the article by email, if my computer can manage it?

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Neal:

Well, I suspect Mr. Robinson's theory is yet more horsefeathers. As if we need more poppycock in this case. I note that a suspect is not named. It was my understanding that Bruce Robinson was working on the script for the movie "Battlecrease" and that the suspect for Jack would be composer and singer Michael Maybrick rather than his brother James who has been in the frame because of the alleged "Maybrick Diary." Perhaps in his book Robinson will finally make Jack sing?

All the best

Chris

Neal Shelden
Sergeant

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 3:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,
I didn't know about the connection to Maybrick, it didn't name anyone in the article but apparently the film idea was ditched.
All the best
Neal

John Hacker
Police Constable
Username: Jhacker

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 3:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the information Neal!

I will be looking forward to his book with great interest. While I must admit that I'm skeptical that he's solved the case, (Political story? Sigh.) I'm very intrigued by the idea that he's writing a JtR book.

Bruce Robinson wrote/directed 2 of my all time favorite films (Withnail and I, and How to Get Ahead in Advertising), and I will be hoping he can make his JtR theory as cynically entertaining as his films.

Regards,

John Hacker

Marie Finlay
Police Constable
Username: Marie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 7:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting!

So I wonder if he will pin the Ripper crimes on Michael Maybrick, in his book?

I've always though that Michael was an intriguing character. He was a child musical genius, and yet nobody seems to have known him very *well* at all (except Fred Weatherly, his librettist). He was apparently described by those who were aquainted with him, as somewhat of a cold fish.

I also find it strange that he married his housekeeper, and retired to the Isle of Wight, at the height of his career.

Wasn't he on tour of the UK, in 1888? I wonder what his tour dates were, and where they took him?

Anyhow, I'll certainly be interested to read how Robinson weaves the story of the Ripper around Michael Maybrick (if that's his suspect!). I'm also intrigued as to what kind of evidence of a 'political cover-up', he has unearthed.

Chris Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 8:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may be interested to look at

http://www.revolve.com.au/polemic/adams_profile.html

which is entitled

PROFILE ON BRITISH COMPOSER STEPHEN ADAMS

WAS HE THE BROTHER OF JACK THE RIPPER?

by Derek Strahan

(Stephen Adams was Michael Maybricks's alias)

Chris S

Chris Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
here's the article for those who want to see it
Chris SExpress article

Marie Finlay
Police Constable

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris: thank you for posting the article, I'm quite interested to read his book.

Also, the link you posted to the site about Michael Maybrick, was very informative. I must say that in the top right-hand picture- Michael looks the *image* of his brother James.

Tom_Wescott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robinson to reveal Ripper's identity at last? How is that possible? I mean, Patricia Cornwell already closed the case with Walter Sickert. I guess somebody should tell Robinson.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all:

I know we should not prejudge Mr. Robinson's book. However, it should be noted that Mr. Robinson is used to writing fiction, just as Patricia Cornwell is, so should we really expect to see a fully formed and viable theory on the case from him? Or will it be yet more speculation and wishful thinking, as we got from Ms. Cornwell? It would appear that in writing the script for the proposed and now apparently abandoned "Battlecrease" movie Robinson became convinced that Michael Maybrick was the killer. Of course, I think Shirley Harrison and/or Paul Feldman have written about Michael being a freemason and having Royal patronage. So we can anticipate another Royal and masons conspiracy, I think.

It amuses me how writers get involved with the Ripper and get so carried away with the "truth" of their theories that they just start quacking.

All the best

Chris

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Marie:

In regard to the portrait of Michael Maybrick on Derek Strahan's site (see below), we discussed on the old boards that a number of the books (Harrison, Feldman, and Graham) have shown the same portrait or photograph and variously said the man in the picture was Michael or James. It seems to me that this portrait, with the apparent silk border to the collar of his jacket, of which there are at least two versions in different poses, is Michael Maybrick and the similar portrait published in certain of the Maybrick books was erroneously said to be James.

All the best

Chris

Stephen Adams

Stephen Adams aka Michael Maybrick

Marie Finlay
Sergeant

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 4:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for clearing that up for me! *Phew* I thought I was going nuts.

There is still quite a family resemblance between the two men, although the features are a little different. James' face is somewhat broader, and flatter.

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 1:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Marie:

Well there is a family resemblence particularly if all the time we have been looking at photographs of Michael and comparing to them to other portraits of Michael! Thus, for example, Shirley Harrison's Hyperion edition of The Diary of Jack the Ripper and Paul Feldman in the Virgin first edition of Jack the Ripper: The Final Chapter both show, opposite their pages 172 and 147, respectively, a photograph they say is James Maybrick,.... but it is the same man as in the photograph shown on Strahan's site, the man with the stickpin in his tie and the silk-edged collar, i.e., it is Michael Maybrick not his brother James. Harrison and Feldman, moreover, both show the photograph that is alleged to be James side by side with the Daily Telegraph sketch of 6 October 1888 of a suspect with a fair mustache, as if this proved James Maybrick was the killer.... er, maybe it makes a bit of a case for Michael then not James? Presumably the fuller faced man in the top hat shown in the books by Harrison and Feldman is James Maybrick not the thinner faced man.

All the best

Chris

Marie Finlay
Sergeant

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 6:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Christopher,

So the chap in the top hat is most likely James Maybrick, then? Yes, his face is quite definitely fuller.

I'm looking at 'The Diary of Jack The Ripper- Updated Narrative by Shirley Harrison'. Opposite page 250 there is a picture of a man said to be James, this same picture also comes up on the front page of 'Casebook' sometimes. Is this actually a picture of Michael?

On Derek Strahan's site the same photo is said to be James, although he looks quite younger than he does in the top hat picture.

Also, on the page opposite to the table of contents (in Harrison's book), I was interested to see a quote in support of the diary, by Bruce Robinson:

"If this diary is a modern forgey- which I am sure it is not- and if I were the faker, then I would consider it to have been the summit of my literary achievement"

Hmmmm, interesting!

Jennifer D. Pegg
Police Constable
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 2:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,
just two things really.
i want to say however prejudice against fiction writers we may (or may not be)due to cornwell there's no reason one cannot adequatly write both this and factual books.
secondly from what you said and posted it occurs to me that the political world would have no desire to hide michael maybrick as the ripper, perhaps he is refering to someone else.
jennifer

Marie Finlay
Sergeant

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer, perhaps he's planning to exploit the Masonic/Royal angle?

If nothing else, Michael Maybrick was an interesting character.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to reading Robinson's book, whoever he names as his suspect.

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 8:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jennifer:

Of course you are exactly right. We should not prejudge Bruce Robinson just because he is a fiction writer. Let's see what he comes up with. However, the Express story does appear to indicate that his theory is based on the idea of a widespread conspiracy, and I don't think that bodes well. His story of how the murders occurred is almost bound to contain a lot of speculation and supposed connections between people and groups that he might think are valid but could be just fiction.

Best regards

Chris George

AP Wolf
Detective Sergeant
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 2:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh dear,
I was unaware that writing fiction might imperil one's attempts to write factual books on any subject.
As a writer of both I quite often find it gives a canny insight into both camps, and certainly allows for some radical rethinking of how to present material in a way that might alter opinion and offer new avenues of exploration.
I don't see why any honest writer of fiction cannot engage the factual market, it is when that writer is basically and almost indecently dishonest that the attempt at a factual work becomes nothing more than a joke.
Rise up and take a bow, many many Jack the Ripper writers and I suspect this one will be no different.
But Chris is right, don't prejudge, just take a long deep breath and get your money ready.

Zkot
Police Constable
Username: Humanvulture

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reminiscent of the modern day serial killer profiling theory, that one who strangles and eviscerates his victims could never possibly poison his victims anytime thereafter. Last I checked, 'Ripperology' was the factual study regarding the crimes of Jack the Ripper, not Jack in the Box. Same benefit of the doubt should be optimistically bestowed upon those who write both fiction and true crime.

However, I still think Cornwell screwed the pooch by naming Sickert her Whitechapel murderer before she even investigated her theory.

Four days, no sleep. Isn't it obvious?

Cheers,

Scott (with a Z)

Marie Finlay
Inspector

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 3:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't suppose anyone has any news/updates about this book?

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 9:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No news is ... er, good news? The Robinson book of course may or may not materialize. We hear a lot about books that are going to be written and then they never appear.

As a writer for the film industry, Mr. Robinson himself knows about scripts that are written and never produced, and scripts that are produced as movies but then the movies are never released. So it will be interesting to see if his book does finally come out. Meanwhile, Bruce received his moment in the sun...

Let's see if the book that he says will give the answer to the case eventually appears. Of course, we have heard many times before that the book is going to come out to solve the case but it has yet to do so. Promises! Promises!

All the best

Chris

Marie Finlay
Inspector

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris,

I don't know why I feel quite impatient about this book. Perhaps it's the tantalizing 'new theory' bit.

I'm obviously very hesitant about the validity of the scenario- but I think Michael Maybrick would make an interesting 'Ripper'. Somewhat cold, and charismatic.

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 2:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for referencing this thread, Chris George. I wonder what the status of Robinson's book is--I hope he doesn't write it. I'd hate to see the Maybrick Machine chew up a perfectly good writer (if that's who he's writing about). The Killing Fields was beautifully written.

Instead of another conspiracy movie, I'd love to see a Ken Burns-style documentary about the Ripper murders and subsequent Ripper studies.

Dave

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Instead of another conspiracy movie, I'd love to see a Ken Burns-style documentary about the Ripper murders and subsequent Ripper studies."

Indeed, Dave. I certainly agree.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 689
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, David

I was glad to reference this thread in answering the poster's question about a possible Friedkin film in the works. As I say, it seems to be a mystery whether Robinson is writing a book or is still working on a screenplay, or both. . . Caz told me she believes the movie is still in the works.

All the best

Chris

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 935
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 4:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

If you remember, you were in the audience at the Liverpool conference when Keith Skinner gave everyone a more recent update on Bruce's film plans, on being asked by Jeremy Beadle about future projects in the works.

Personally, I wouldn't care what the film turned out like if I thought Brucie baby would take an acting role in it too - I think he is absolutely gorgeous and would pay to see him in anything (or - ahem - nothing) at all.

Love,

Caz

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 696
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 5:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Caz

I don't remember that. Maybe I was out of the room at that moment. Can you update us on what was said about the plans for the movie?

Chris

Thomson Hicks
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you do Bruce Robinson a disservice.

He is not only known for fiction. He wrote the screenplay for the Oscar winning film 'The Killing Fields'.

I don't think that he made up the Khmer Rouge, Pol Pot and the genocide in Cambodia, do you? He has proven that he can work with source material and carry out his own research.

I for one will be reserving my judgement until I see his book

shirley harrison
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVE JUST NOTICED THE MENTION OF THE DIARY MOVIE ON THE BOARDS. tO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE - AND I HAVE BEEN IN TOUCH WITH WILLIAM FRIEDKIN OVER THE YEARS - IT HAS NOT BEEN DISMISSED. IT IS SITTING ALONG WITH ALL THOSE OTHER HOPEFULS ON THE HOLLYWOOD SHELVES.IT IS AT THE BACK OF MY MIND BUT NOT FORGOTTEN.

Shirley Harrison

Newsman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like the new Bruce Robinson book, published by Orion, will be out on 19 April. Wait for all the hype and publicity - case solved yet again.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.