Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

MARY POPPINS LIVED IN WHITECHAPEL! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Movies » MARY POPPINS LIVED IN WHITECHAPEL! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andy and Sue Parlour
Detective Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well what a surprise,

Watching the film Mary Poppins with the grandchildren on New Years Day, I never expected a Ripper connection with the film.

When Mr and Mrs Banks 2 children get lost in London Mr Banks is on the phone to the Police, when there is a knock on the front door and a friendly policeman appears with the children explaining he found them while on his beat. On the Policemans collar the Division letter is 'H' and his number is 43.

The Banks family lived in Whitechapel!

What a scoop!!

AS

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3447
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And do you know who H43 was?

wow i thought they were rich having a nanny an all
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution"

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5486
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, they got that wrong - the house should have been watched by a City policeman (just a spoonful of Sagar helps the medicine go down).

Robert

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert:

That last joke penetrated my Thick head !! Good one ! I'm on one knee,Neil-ing down in laughter !

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5487
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How, it's pretty clear that Donston had trained Poppins in the black arts - hence her magical powers - and that Dick Van Dyke entered Kelly's room via the chimney, which he was cleaning at the time.

After the murder, the room was suppsed to tidy itself with various organs flinging themselves into drawers and cupboards, but Poppins goofed and the police discovered the terrible scene....

The Goulston St message was supposed to read "...not be blamed for supercalafragilisticexpialidocious" but the miscreant ran out of wall and had to settle for 'nothing'.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3534
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Case closed then!!!!!

That would settle Annie,Liz and Mary BUT........
Its got to be Julie Andrews in her Sweeps outfit for the rest I'd say!

Suzi

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 3027
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course I'm assuming that you do all realise that the family Mary was looking after was very much part of the Cutbush clan?
On the New York side.

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert:

Brother,who doesn't know of the definite connections between Dick Van Dyke and Stephenson?

They both liked their sauce...they both served in wartime efforts..they both dabbled in magic...and while one peddled beauty creams,the other had a t.v. series sponsored by beauty creams.

It is in this spirit...sniff..that I humbly nominate a new suspect to the mix..

Roslyn Poppins

A.P.

Are you serious over there? Thats new to me at least...

(Message edited by howard on January 02, 2006)

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 971
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it was Julie Andrews, then the murders stopping can be explained by her shortly afterwards entering an Austrian nunnery.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 683
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 3:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those hills were a mirage, Philip. Let's face it, both movies combined were rather odd.

Love,

Lyn x
**Nicotine withdrawls are evil**

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3536
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LYN!
That signature CANT be 'true'...........can it??????

Suzix

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 685
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe it is, Suzi.

Today sorta sucks.

Love ya x
**Nicotine withdrawls are evil**

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that some most important information is being revealed here.

Let us stop for a moment and recall that at one time it was suspected that an American was possibly the Ripper.

Here we have a certain Dick Van Dyke who is an American pretending to be a Cockney. Didn't he do the same in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Now if that's not suspicious I don't know what is.

Case solved I reckon.

Bob

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3031
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How, yes, I'm afraid so.
The von Trapp family - the 'real' family on whom the film was based - and Cutbush family of New York, Philadelphia, Austria and Switzerland are the one and same family... with relatives in London during the LVP.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 975
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob - I'm sure Martin Fido could make something of the errors in the names here.

If you look hard enough you will see that Dick Van Dyke's paramour in the film was, if he is to be believed, called Maouri Parpinz - a Jew from New Zealand.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everybody knows that Mary Poppins was in fact Eliza Doolittle. As for Dick Van Dyke, he never tried to pass himself off as a Cockney.

Did he?

Eduardo

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A.P.

Two things here to mention.

1. Do you want me to [unless you already have ] check into Cutbush clan members here in Philadelphia and Montgomery County [where the rich folks live...] ? Just tell me.

2. I think you have the wrong film...You mean the Sound of Music.

Dear Bob:

Van Dyke,a.k.a Roslyn Poppins, might be deserving of a 3 A.M. wake up call by Special Unit cops equipped with... a thick local phone book, sledgehammer,Chevy van, an abandoned park lot...and a tankful of gas. Worked wonders on tightlipped suspects in Philly back in the 1970's. Its called the Philadelphia Lie Detector Test.

We might have our man....

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3034
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks How.
Shows you how much I'm in contact with the modern world.
I thought the Sound of Music was Mary Poppins!
Are you really telling me that they made two movies like that?
I must get in touch with the modern world.

Re you kind offer from Philly. I am still very interested in tracking down the London relatives mentioned in the Cutbush wills on record there.
And I am still very interested in Cutbush the ship carver who is also mentioned in the archives there.
More my time period.
I get lost in this modern world of moving images.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3550
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP-
You mean there are TWO films about a nanny!

"Kosminiski Kosminiski Was he a Jewe???? "Did I make that up?Or see it written somewhere???? Sure it was something like that!

"Oh My Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"may JUST .....JUST have been misheard too I suppose....especially in that accent!

He he! thanks A ands S for this wheeze!

Suzi

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3460
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er

im a little confused

doesnt dick van Dyke solve murders in diagnosis murder?

Jenni

ps I'm a student - let me off!!!
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution"

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 489
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 6:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

Yes but in Diagnosis Murder he is a surgeon! We now have an American who pretends to be a cockney and is also a surgeon.

No need for a trial - away to the Tower with him.

Bob

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 5497
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 6:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't forget that he might well have made his getaway in a car that could fly - hence no sounds of carriage wheels or horses' hooves were reported.

Robert

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3467
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The plot thickens

thats what i think
"The sun'll come out,Tomorrow,So ya gotta hang on Til tomorrow, Come what may"

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2448
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dick Van Yawn the ripper?

He didn't need a knife - he could have bored 'em to death.

Love,

Caz
X

PS Did you know the Invisible Man has found his ideal Invisible Woman? Trouble is, the kids are nothing to look at.

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good ones Caz...

Dear A.P.

Which archives do you refer to here in Philly? I will be more than happy to check into those matters for you.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3559
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crap movie though eh!!!!!!

NOW...Mr and Mrs Darling..THEY were dodgy that Mrs D dressing up Mr D in his bowtie for a N I G H T O U T Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Suzi

jason_connachan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 3:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who'd have believed it! Mary Poppins was a mad abortionist.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.