Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New Release Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Jack the Ripper: End of a Legend (Knight, 2005) » New Release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3338
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack the Ripper: End of a Legend
Calum Reuben Knight
December 2005

Details coming soon...
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Dan Norder
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 5:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting... that one stumps Google on both the title and the author name. I am curious to see what turns up on this one. I know the "Knight" part makes the hairs on the back of my neck stick up.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3339
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the publisher:

I’ve got no time to tell you how
I came to be a killer
But you should know
As time will show
That I’m Society’s pillar

Jack the Ripper, 1888

Victorian London in the year 1888 – and a homicidal maniac known as Jack the Ripper is stalking the streets.

Over one hundred years later the identity of this killer remains unknown. In Jack the Ripper – End of a Legend, Calum Reuben Knight provides an ingenious new interpretation, and solution, to a mystery of enduring fascination.

Knight convincingly argues that Jack the Ripper wasn’t one person but three, and that one of the three was a French woman who successfully masqueraded as the final victim – known to posterity as Mary Jane Kelly. In this book Knight reveals the true identity of the three individuals, profiles their respective lives and explores their motives.

From terrifying descriptions of bloody murder to a portrayal of the broader historical context, which transports the reader from the bleak streets of London’s Whitechapel to the dark and dangerous rues of Paris, Knight provides the documentary evidence to reveal the most feared killer in the annals of crime.

This is Jack the Ripper as you’ve never seen her.
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 478
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh goody! A Jill the Ripper book. Stephen Knight meets Gloria Steinem in the streets of Whitechapel. And it was a French woman Caroline Maxwell spoke to in the street, no Mary. Cool. I wonder if this 'French woman' is the tailoress that Le Queux puts in Berner Street as an accomplice to the Stride murder. Hmmm... Should be a fun read.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 936
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 5:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Note to self : put this book on list to read shortly after Cornwell, Knight and Williams.

There are some books which are easy to acquire I have never bought and have no intention of buying because they will teach me nothing new and only serve to attempt to cloud issues. This is one of them.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Eddie Derrico
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eddie

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 8:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip

I agree. I'm a strong supporter of Equal Rights for all but this sounds ridiculous.

Yours Truly,

Eddie

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant
Username: Needler

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must agree with all the above opinions, and especially with that of Dan.......Knight??? Lemme see...does that name inspire confidence?? Not really!

And, Eddie.....as to equal rights, while this particular theory may be ludicrous, a woman can be just as eligible as a man for the all of the following descriptions: murderer, thief, sadist, cold, calculating, and bereft of humanity....any other additions are welcome! I THINK that's what you meant, so I don't want to hassle you....I mean simply that a woman is as capable of foul behaviour as is a man. Sex is no determinant of "niceness", and is no guarantee (nor should it be) of "special treatment" in any form. THAT ought to get the conversation going, don't you think? Before anyone jumps on me and begins to beat me about the head and shoulders, I'm gonna say it once......if women want to be treated as equals, we had better get used to the idea of being treated equally in ALL AREAS.......full stop. Sound fair??

Now, go to it, guys........take your best shot!

Cheers, happy Christmas, and a great New Year to all! Hope to see everyone in Baltimore in April.

Judy
http://www.casebook.org/2006

Eddie Derrico
Inspector

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Judith

I just watched the crime story about the woman who murdered her husband and cut his head off because he wouldn't fit in the box. Gotta put that lady right up with the best.

Yours Truly,

Eddie

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ABSOLUTELY!!! We can get really creative when confronted with a disposal problem!

Cheers!!!

Judy

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 4:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,

Was the husband dead when she cut his head off? Because if he was, I've seen worse.

Best,
Eduardo

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

EDUARDO!! good to hear from you again! Other than the obvious problem of getting the husband to hold still while she shortened him, dead or alive would render the same result. Except for the mess.....who's gonna clean up that mess???

This is getting weirder and weirder.........I love it!

And happy Christmas, Eduardo!

Judy

Eddie Derrico
Inspector

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eduardo

yeah, she killed him first then cut his head off.
Here's a better one. Judy Buenoano. She poisoned her husband and a few of her boyfriend's. Then she poisoned her stepson, but he survived. He was very crippled from the poison and he had to wear heavy metal braces on his legs. So then she took him out for a canoe ride and dumped him in the water and he drowned. Her last boyfriend survived poisoning and having his car blown up. Read about her. She was Ruthless.

Yours Truly,

Eddie

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Killing him first makes a lot of sense....not so much oocky stuff to clean up, but Judy sounds a bit dull after the the first one, Eddie! Give me a Lizzie any day.

Seems a bit goofy to wish the best of the season after this conversation, but I will anyway; never let it be said I didn't have a warped sense of humour.

Cheers,

Judy

Eddie Derrico
Inspector

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy

Yeah, I know what you mean. The poisoners aren't gruesome like the ones that use the axes and knives. Happy Holiday to you too.

Yours Truly,

Eddie

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Judy, hello Eddie,

Good old Rudyard Kipling - whom nobody reads anymore - knew what he was saying when he wrote:

The female of the species is more deadly than the male.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Eduardo

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 700
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

So who killed Chapman and Eddowes? That's JTR. Who really cares about the others when it comes down to the final analysis. The rest are just the netting on the ham.

Goodies,

Stan

Thomas C. Wescott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 511
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 9:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got my copy today. According to Amazon.com, this book has been out since July and they've got new AND used copies available. If that's true, Knight loses 10 points for poor marketing. However, he makes these points back - and then some - for having scored a Cuban drug connection. There's no way this guy's stuff is cut. From perusing the book it seems a good part of his 'evidence' is an anagram derived from the street names where the bodies were found. Inexplicably, he uses Berner Street (not Dutfield's Yard) but eschews Dorset Street in favor of Millers Court. Incidentally, Marky Kelly is the Ripper, with two guys. I presume them to be Hutchinson and Barnett. But, again, I haven't read the book yet. Just wanted to share these tidbits and let you know the book's for sale at a very cheap price for a Ripper book - under 11 books in U.S. dollars. If nothing else, it should be a fun read.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Andrew Spallek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got mine yesterday and at a glance it looks pretty weak. For one thing he reproduces a gravestone on Mary Kelly's grave and represents it as being current. That headstone is no longer there and a completely different one is now in place. Doesn't inspire confidence.

Andy S.

Thomas C. Wescott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 519
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read about a third of the book, and I believe it's an intentional farce, meant to be a throwback to the 70's. It even has Robert Paul called 'John Paul, Charles Cross called 'George' and Nichols spelled 'Nicholls' like old school Ripperology. And then there's the fiction-style narrative. It really reads like a spoof on Stephen Knight, Frank Spiering, etc. And I truly hope that's what it is. If approached from this viewpoint, it's actually an enjoyable read, as Calum Knight is not a bad writer. But it certainly cannot be taken seriously as a theory.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.