Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New ripper-related illustration. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » General Discussion » New ripper-related illustration. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

thomas schachner
Detective Sergeant
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi guys,

i don't know if anybody of you already knows this cartoon - i think the majority doesn't?! just dug it out from a 1936 true-crime book and wanted to share it with you.

enjoy...
thomas.

Baron von Zipper
Inspector
Username: Baron

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thomas,

Is that an illustration of Howard Brown? Just reading the caption makes me wonder...

(Joshing, man)
Mike

"La madre degli idioti è sempre incinta"

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Thomas

I believe I have seen that picture before. The signature at lower right looks like it might be "Ronald Lawpitt" but I am wondering if it is actually "Ronald Lampitt" who was a well known British illustrator, doing posters for the railways as well as children's Ladybird books. For an example of his work see

http://www.medicate.org.uk/news.html

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

thomas schachner
Detective Sergeant
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

baron..do you see him give her money?? .-))))

chris..i got the illustration from "The fifty most amazing crimes of the last 100 years"..the style of the example shows similarities in the womans face though..

take care
thomas.

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have that book. If I'm not mistaken, this was the book that first attracted Stewart P. Evans to the Ripper case!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3270
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 5:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just tracked down some more Lampitt lovelies,gorgeous arent they??

Also it appears that Ronald did the artwork for Janet and John!!!!:-)

Perhaps the illustration above came originally from 'Janet and John go to Whitechapel'!!

'Do you know what an unfortunate is???'
......John does!

Suzi

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blimey Suzi - Janet and John - that takes me back!

I remember as if it were yesterday the sheer pleasure of discovering I could read the words.

Come to think of it, it was yesterday.

Love,

Caz
X

Belindafromhenmans
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 3:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quite sexy :0)
word word word word word

Phil Hill
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Phil

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz, I have the same feeling. Did the picture with the children and a train come from a book explaining how to read Ordnance Survey map symbols? Anyone remember it - I think it was a landscape format large paperback.

Phil

Lindsey Millar
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 508
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 1:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil,

I think the illustration of the boy and girl with dog came from the Ladybird book, "The Map That Came To Life". (Or something like that. It has been a long time..)

Suz & Caz, I still have my first Janet & John. Never did hand it in.

Lyn
Although present on the occasion, I have no clear recollection of the events leading up to it.
Winston Churchill

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3274
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil-
Youve got it!!!!

Do you know what a topographical symbol is?????

John does!!!

Lyn-That was THAT book!!!! Still oddly recall what PH meant tho!!!! see!!!! didn't all come to nothing!!!

LOL

Suzi xx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3275
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz and Co

This is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!! (especially for us Wogan listeners!!!!!

http://www.togs.org/J&J.htm

Do you get my drift????........

John does!

Suzi x

Suzi

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Baron:

You are rapidly becoming dearer and nearer to my heart ! That was a good one,my man !!!

Thomas:

I was just asking her for directions to the local bar,I swear !

Thanks for posting the picture, Tommy....

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 890
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 9:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah I have the book that illustration comes from. AND the reprint of the Ripper section that came out a few years ago.

But I suppose that was obvious!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3280
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 6:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WHY am I not astounded my dear!!!!!!!!

Love Janet and John..........

Do you know what a bookie is??????

Suzi does!!!!

LOL

Suzi

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 892
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 1:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll bet you do, Suzi.

(See how clever that was?)

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3222
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

not really,

im very not with this?
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my mamma taught me better than that."

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3319
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 5:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni-:-) :-) :-)

You will my dear you will

See the Clever Phillip...

Do you know what a chilly night on a tour is????

Phillip does....... LOL!!!!!! Where's the cat!!!!!!???

Love Suzi x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3320
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni-:-) :-) :-)

You will my dear you will

See the Clever Phillip...

Do you know what a chilly night on a tour is????

Phillip does....... LOL!!!!!! Where's the cat!!!!!!???

Love Suzi x

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.