Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Most Haunted Live! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Television Programmes » Most Haunted Live! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 25, 2005MTR50 10-25-05  5:56 am
Archive through October 29, 2005Suzi Hanney50 10-29-05  12:17 pm
Archive through October 31, 2005Richard Brian Nunwee50 10-31-05  3:28 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3147
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 3:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Good to see that Jack's proving as elusive to Mr Derek and team(!)....don't think I could BEAR it if he actually came up with something credible or remotely thought provoking!
Max may stand a chance though.......

Suzi

Jeff Leahy
Inspector
Username: Jeffl

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 5:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah ha Oh joy oh Joy

Havnt watched it yet but lets hope you are all correct...perhasp there's a chance yet..

Neil I managed to find a VHS copy of an edit of your reading..havn't watched it yet...I'm afraid copies of VHS tapes are very poor but you can borrow this if you promise to look after it.

Perhaps if most haunted have by-passed the subject we could still be in with a chance.

Living won't be happy if Derek didnt speak with Jack, and i cant imagine Derek would have been in much of a mood to co-operate given this weeks publicity...

The game is afoot

Jeff

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2253
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 9:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

Regarding your synaesthesia, which makes you see people as colours, I see numbers as colours and, to a lesser extent, letters too.

I had always assumed everyone saw the same colours as me, until a recent documentary explained that although it's a fairly common condition, it by no means affects all, and it comes in many forms.

Some people see numbers as shapes, or for others, a certain word will conjure up a distinctive smell. It's quite odd though, isn't it?

For instance, Jeff's post numbered 287 - I see that number as clear as day like a flag coloured cherry red, royal blue and canary yellow!

Love,

Caz
X

PS Ooh and this post (2253) is an even deeper cherry red, then deep purple and leaf green.

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 608
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Caz,

Oh thank goodness for that........I thought I was an aberration.....I only see people as colours, although by daughter sees days of the week and numbers as well.......

I'm sure you agree that It's actually something that most synaethesetes wouldn't swap for all the chokkie bikkies in the world, because it does add an extra dimension which is a blessing and not at all detrimental.

For instance in my case it alerts me to danger in a way that none of the other senses can........haven't a clue how it works, but it does show people for what they are.......and has actually never let me down. (People will definitely never speak to me again now!)

You by the way Caz are a very deep damasc colour.........most fetching.

I am going to watch the programme tonight just for the hell of it because I just want to see how much worse it gets!

I have only had one really serious brush with Jack, although countless minor feelings and intuitions about him.....

The main encounter though was a dream......which did feel like one of the 'odd' dreams I get for want of a better word, when there is a distinct feeling that it is more than just the norm.

In it I had the sense that I was in Mary Kellys room and I actually felt myself standing by the bed and watching Mary's killer pull down the bed clothes......only a fleeting thing, but put me in a cold sweat, because I could really feel what he was feeling momentarily and it was the worst experience I had ever felt in my life.....

It may well have just been a dream.....nothing happened after the event to make it provable, and I would never take it as more than just a very scary nightmare because of that......but something I don't want to go through again.

I have to say that if Derek is able to pick up on any of the elements of the Ripper case, he is a braver person than I am because I would not want to repeat that experience.....not ever.

I can see the point that they could hardly traipse around Mitre Square with camera's and lights etc., but surely there are such things as hidden camera's and they could have done it discreetly.......but where are they going to go tonight? Surrey Quays perhaps......The Monument? No wonder it's called the Hunt for Jack the Ripper!

Jane

xxxxx

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tower Bridge off course has no conection that I know of to the Ripper crimes and the Bridge itself was still under construction at the time these murders were commited.

However I beleive there was originally a tunnel under the Thames somewhere in this area at this time.

what a wasted opertunity better start for home.

Jeff

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

I'd be very interested in your colour code, and what it tells you about an individual.

Days of the week, yes I can relate to that, and months of the year too.

Going from October beige to November dark blue...

Love,

Caz
X

Alan Hunt
Sergeant
Username: Mews

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 2:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i thought the funniest bit so far was the first night on tower bridge! they all go into the bottom of one of the towers into a room clearly marked "Mortuary" on the wall and door and what does mr Acorah say when asked what he can see? the answer was Bodies! very astute mr Acorah!!
what next? ghosts of dead animals in smithfield market?

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3149
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz
The colour thing is interesting.....January.definately silver.February dunno.........March...........sort of chrome yellow......April ...so yellow,ALMOST LIGHT GREEN its not true..... Maybe the lightest greeny/ yellow you can imagine!!!!! May,June July,August despite containing my birth month...
Will have to think about them!!! but agree on October being beige (ergh!) and November Dark Blue.......There is a RED about December though I think going from a Scarlet at the beginning, to a Dark Crimson towards Christmas!!!

Blimey More water with it MAYBE!

Hey Good thinking tho eh..going to ask more people tomorrow and see what they think......may be interesting!

XX

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3150
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 3:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Feb...thinking about it a sort of light ocherish brown,sort of light nut brown...May.has to be white.....June working through to a sort of rose pink into July with more a Fuchsia into a sensationally strong pink for August which 'oranges' into a wonderful terracotta for September!!!WOW how abt that!!! eat your heart out Mr Derek!!!!

Suzi x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3151
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gosh!!!! new thread for us Chromos coming on maybe!!!

Suz x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3152
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 3:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well maybe if we started it on Pub Talk it may be interesting to see how people see... Have to scribble em all down first though....what do you think?

Suzi x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3154
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Done it!!!! CHROMO thoughts on Pub Talk! will be interested to see what we all think!!

Suz x

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gang,

Are you guys watching the programme right this minute and getting the same thoughts going through your head that I am?

35 - 40 years old, slaughtered and very sad? killed in 1888?

And haunting a pool table.......

They have got to be joking.........

Jane

xxx

(Message edited by jcoram on October 31, 2005)

Neal Stubbings
Inspector
Username: Neal

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,
There's no need to send me a copy of the video of the medium with the Catherine Eddowes descendant that I brought to IPM. I was watching my copy of it last night. I noted the pants thing, but to be honest I didn't ask her about that so can't comment. She did hold back that the medium had got it wrong about him supposedly contacting her father when he was in fact still alive.
The one thing that I noticed on the video last night was that the medium brought up well worn information about the victims in this case Catherine Eddowes having "knowledge that a baby was born, and given up for adoption". Which most on this site would recognize as very similar to the Royal baby stories of the Clarence, Gull etc theories.
The only problem is that when the medium was with Paul Begg on the other video he seemed to be referring to things associated with Maybrick, such as a woman named Florence, name of James, and another beginning with M etc. I also seem to remember that a couple of things mentioned by the medium related to Tumblety.
This mixture of everything and anything Jack the Ripper, led me to think of the recordings with this medium as almost "The Greatest Hits of Jack the Ripper". And this for me made it completely unconvincing.
No need to send me the video of Paul Begg with the medium, I just thought that perhaps a transcript could have been put on Casebook.

Jim DiPalma
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jimd

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 5:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi Jane,

Just caught a few minutes of the show. According to the "Most Haunted" team the murders were committed by two people, James Maybrick, and Dr. Pedachenko (I think - the presenter garbled the last name a bit). I can't recall whether the investigators claimed the two were actually accomplices, or merely colleagues, I was too busy ROTFLMAO.

That's it, mystery solved, we can all go home now.

IMHO, that show is among the funniest on television.

Jim

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neil

I beleive that the pants and main contact were referances to her grand father, which Tony claims 'feels like ya dad' and when i interveiwed her at a later date she seemeed happy with this.

However its been sometime since i watched it I admit...Again with this stuff it all comes down to interpretation...actually the vague stuff from a programme point of veiw is better because it gives you room to flag up different stories...the baby comments where from the reading at the cemetary and Tony made it clear these are not the best places for contact or information. Again this illustrates the interpretation theme well...yes it could have been a referance to the edie Story but in a later reading Tony says the baby is Kelly's...perhaps a referance to Bertie...whoever we have no idea whether Marie Kelly had ever had any children, its not an impossibility.....You just have stuff...which could make an intersting story.

Yes I agree the Maybrick stuff was far more worrying and more unbeleivable. However if Tony had of cheated he must have done some research...especially the deaths of black women that he linked to the crime.

However if he went to this trouble why did he not bother to iron out the basics? Everyone knows Maybrick was a lone killer dont they and strangely why did he only ever mention Maybrick when in the presence of Begg....It was odd i admit.

I think we all know that the match box wasn't emptie. Perhaps the psychic simply had cotton in his ears.

However I think its unreasonable to base to much on a few snippets and test shoots...the idea had only ever been to shoot a pilot that would lead to a full investigation covering as much known Ripper sites and conections as possible..It was just a beginning...I think it demonstrated that the most interesting stuff was always about the victims and what the locations looked and smelt like in 1888. The Ripper thing is so much a red herring as its almost impossible to find a psychic that dosnt know something about Jack, even if its in the subconcious...

Anyway Neil my offer still stands if you want, I think what I have is an actual edit rather than a play out from cam1. I'm afraid I nolonger have access to the masters and until it looks totally impossible that this programme cant go forward in some form I think it unlikely the production company will releaase them as some time and finance went into the production of the pilot.

I better get back to work 'The great British psychic challange' starts channel 5 on December 4th...and I have alot of tests to organize... so you can all continue the debate and join in then.

Catch you later Jeff

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim are you claiming Derek also claims Maybrick was the Ripper? and didn't work alone??

No dont even go there....

Jeff

Jim DiPalma
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jimd

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi Jeff,

As I mentioned, I only caught a brief glimpse of the program, literally less than two minutes worth. I may have gotten the context wrong and mis-understood what was going on. What I saw was a male member of the crew, apparently re-capping something Derek had just said. He said, 'so, there were two people involved in the murders, James Maybrick and a Dr. Peda...something' and he began to struggle to pronounce a Slavic surname. I assumed he meant Pedachenko, at which point I started howling with laughter. I mean Maybrick was outrageous enough, but Pedachenko?!?! He hasn't even been proven to have ever existed, to my knowledge. They could scarcely have picked two less likely suspects, to my mind.

I don't know whether they claimed the two were actually accomplices, or just shared a common interest in murder and mutilation. My wife came into the room at that moment, said 'oh please, we're not going to watch *that* are we?', and proceeded to change the channel. So, I only caught a glimpse, just long enough to enjoy a good chuckle.

Perhaps someone who saw the show in its entirety would care to comment here.

thanks
Jim

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3307
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff -

From what I saw, Derek basically said the Ripper was two men - Pedachenko (he called him something like Penlachenko but it was obviously the same guy), who killed five women, and James Maybrick, who killed four.

The psychics really seem to love Maybrick - as I recall, Pam Ball also fingered Maybrick as part of a duo-Ripper-team in her psychic book.

So Jeff... does this change your opinion of Derek at all? :-)

- Stephen
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 293
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psychic's do indeed seem to love the name Maybrick...and Yes I find this most unlikely and yes I have been given this name by more than one psychic...in each instance other basic facts seemed to contradict the basic Maybrick story...and even more strangly in each case the psychic claimed maybrick was not working alone...a fact that anyone who knows anything, contradicts the basic Maybrick story...

If they are cheating there simply not doing it very well...

And no..I've just seen Derek do to much good stuff on 'Antiques ghost show'...and I do not hold your expectations of psychic ability and I do not beleive they are frauds in the way that has been suggested by some.

Besides he's the best guy to go drinking with after a shoot.

Tin Match box emptie.

Jeff

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

Watched the whole weekends worth.

My concern is not the fact that Jack was rarley mentioned, even though we were promised in the weeks build up that Jack was being investigated.

Nor the debate about Dereks abilities or cons.

No, my concern was that on Sunday night, at 11pm, my TV viewing switched from Derek rolling his eyes to some topless female telling me Ive only 10 minutes to subscribe to a triple X porn channel!!!

As a rule I wouldnt mind (y'all now Monty by now) but the transition was so swift that first of all I thought 'blimey, thats one hell of a possession Ahcora has pulled off!', then I thought M'ary Kelly had dark hair, didnt she?'.

Did anyone else have this intrusion?

I was most perturbed...I rang my cable network. Want to know the reason why my viewing was interrupted by Satans love prancers?

No?

Tough, Im telling you anyway. It was because they forgot to put the clocks back !! Should have appeared at midnight !!!!

Not that Im complaining you understand.

Monty

It begins.....

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My favorite parts were Joseph Merrick's elephantitis and Harry Potter.

Cheers,
Dave

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3059
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yo
Why have I missed out on this!! Lol I mean Derek before you lot start. I guess I dont have cable. i need for it to be on noramal tv stat. i could use a laugh!!

yo
Jenni

ps monty it sure sounded like you were complaining.
"Don't you know it's true what they say, Things happened for a reason,"

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its repeated on FTN on free serve if you've got the new box from tescos £29. That also gives you access to UK History which last night featured the Gun Powder plot and the charms of Professor Hutton...had a bit of a panic about the number of barrels but looks like the first programme got it wrong...phew

Jeff

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 843
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In Pamela Ball's 'JACK THE RIPPER : A PSYCHIC INVESTIGATION' she names Maybrick as killing Stride, Barnett as killing Eddowes and Kelly, and she couldn't identify the killer(s) of Nichols and Chapman.

She did not claim they were a team but that Maybrick was a mythical pimp-like figure in the East End known to the girls as 'The Catcher'. Stride's murder was apparently not connected to the others. She claims Barnett killed Eddowes by mistake (the questions this assertion brings are obviously manifold) and shortly afterwards killed Kelly.

Needless to say, the book is not on my recommended reading list to people who ask!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3065
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 2:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yo Philip,

is it not? Why ever is that! lol
yo
Jenni
"Don't you know it's true what they say, Things happened for a reason,"

Neal Stubbings
Inspector
Username: Neal

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 2:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,
I'll just have to correct you on the baby thing, it was definitely said on the video that I have with Catherine Eddowes descendant and the medium at the reading at IPM's base. The medium talking about Catherine Eddowes says about her having "knowledge that a baby was born, and given up for adoption". Whether the medium also said it at the cemetery I don't know because I don't have that video?
It would of course be convenient for the medium to suggest that it was Mary Kelly's baby rather than a royal one, but I'm sure all of us could call ourselves mediums and come up with five or six different ways to interpret the same information.

I'm not sure about the pants and grandfather thing. I do know that she went along with some things the medium came up with that I knew wasn't correct.

I don't know why the medium got information wrong in his book as well though? The section about the reading with the descendant doesn't even cover one page. And yet, he made mistakes?

kiemurr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was Derek Acorahs last show for Most Haunted tonight. I tend to think hes a great medium. Why would he put his reputation on the line just to make a mockery out of his profession in a show that makes no difference whether he names the ripper or not? I think theres something in what he said tonight thats not to be taken too lightly and makes me think alot more about the diary than i previously had! I had never even thought of James Maybrick as a serious suspect before and thought that the theory on Barnnett and the backround of Kosminski were a more plausable direction to head toward in the case. But i do believe in Derek and know hes very good at his job. Maybe 6060 people were right in thier votes after all!!

Richard Jones
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 7:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

I'd just like to say that the channel,Living TV, were more than happy for me say that Pedachenko most certainly was not Jack the Ripper. I chose instead to say that he was "a largely discredited suspect." As for Maybrick, again the channel were more than happy for me to say that he was not Jack the Ripper, in fact the exact words to me were I must give my honest opinion, even if it disagreed with what was coming up.

I felt however that we had to convey something of the history of the case and I wanted to ensure that viewers came to understand that at the heart of the Jack the Ripper mystery are five women whose lives ended in a very tragic and undeserved manner. The channel were more than happy for me to say this on air.

The problem for the producers as to the sites was simply that they cannot be out of doors since once viewers learn the location they flock to the site, which would have created a security nightmare. For the show we looked at doing the cellar of the White Hart, The Ten Bells, The London Hospital Museum, The Former Working Lads Institute, The Princess Alice, The Bucks Row Board School, The former Commercial Street Police Station and even George Lusk's House! Several weren't interested, and those that were proved logistical nightmares.

All of you who know the area will agree to find a spot on which to locate the necessary broadcast trucks from which to beam a south pointing signal(I think that's the term!)for broadcast is an absolute nightmare.

The programme was never meant to be a documentary but a live ghost hunt that had to keep viewers attentions for 3 hours over four nights. That is no mean feat and the fact that Living TV were willing to take the risk shows that they are one of the few channels willing to attempt to create something original as opposed to copying every other reality Tv show.

I am happy that the show was broadcast because it has encouraged millions of viewers to take an interest in the Jack the Ripper case and has inspired them to start reading books on the subject.

After the show on each night many members of the audience came over to me and asked me to suggest a book they could read to gain a better insight. I was able to suggest Philip Sugden's History of and Paul Begg''s facts plus the A - Z. I was also able to suggest they log on to Casebook.org. ThusI hope, I did my part in steering viewers away from the sensational theories.

I have now left the show, a decision I had made in June,but which I postponed when I learnt they were doing a Jack the Ripper special over Halloween.

As far as Derek Achora goes, I agree 100% with Jeff, he is one of the most decent and professional people I have ever worked with and he is a great guy to have a drink and chat with.
In the 22 months I have worked with him I have found him to be a caring person and there have most certainly been occasions when he has confounded me with things he has revealed one on one. Aside from what you think of his abilities there can be no-one who has met Derek who cannot attestto his warmth and charm.

Before we start slagging off Most Haunted Live let's all remember that, no matter what you think of the programme, it has created an interest in the subject and if you were to do a google search for Jack the Ripper, see what comes up first. Surely that can't be a bad thing in helping dispel the myths and untruths with which the subject is imbued?

My only regret is that we never got more of the Jack the Ripper history in, but at least I got to link prostitutes and sea men. I also think Living TV have created an interest in the subject that can only result in people learning "The Facts".

Jeff would you fancy a drink sometim}e?

Richard Jones

Former Historian Most Haunted Live

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 4:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,

Firstly, and I can only speak for myself, I appreciate you taking the time to post and clarifying the situation both personally and from the programmes viewpoint.

Secondly...seamen...need I say more?

A lifetime on TVs most naughtiest blunders beckons.

Cheers,
Monty
:-)

(Message edited by monty on November 02, 2005)
It begins.....

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 5:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard I would be happy to

There are loads of questions I'd like to ask you.

As you may or may not know I've spent at least the last three or four years on this trail...

It was a shame that you did not approach me before hand as there are a numbr of areas I could have helped with...particualarly with reguards to reconstruction footage of the crimes. I hope you will watch next weeks programme with Dereks Quest for Guy Fawkes.

However I guess i was taken back by dereks Maybrick suggestion....as this is not the first time this name has arisen in a psychic investigation.

Obviously this has lead me into some research into the subject and my conclusions have lead me to beleive that the Diary is a fake. However I have nomore idea who, why or when this happened. I think it fairly unlikely it was created by the supposed forger Mike Barrett. But let me make this absolutely clear...NOBODY HAS EVER PROVED THAT THE DIARY IS A HOAX: FACT (Not even John).

The damn thing is the bane of my life, why did Derek go there?

For what its worth my veiws on the Ripper are well known on these boards. I count 8, including Tabram. Jacky was in his early thirties, fair gingery mostache, wore a peaked hat, was probably working or street class. Lived in or near to Montigue Street. He was a lone killer who probably had a history of crawlty to animals, petty crimes and attacks.

As none of this information has ever appeared in any psychic reading I've been involved in at leaast i hope I can deflect some of the critisisms that I've ever cheated or fed information to the psychics i was involved with, which I have not.

Let me repeat what they get is what they get.

What it is they do exactly...I also have no idea.

Neil I think I've made it quite clear information is often garbled, or contradicts it self. It is flow of random information, and sitting on every word ad verbatom is piontless. Tony introduced the baby theme at three seperate places and in each the story altered....in the last he claimed the Ripper came and took a featus.....something not support by Dr Bonds autopsy report as we well know.....however not totally out of any realm of possibility. Psychic information is simply never rocket science. Its just stuff.

I simply do not beleive that these people are frauds as has been suggested by some.

And Richard is of course correct. Living TV are infact one of the better and braver of commissioning channels....and raising interest in the subject and only do good not harm.

A lot of young people watch this programme, and love the psychic programmes put out on Living TV.

I for one have always taken great care to insure historical information is totally correct in programmes I've worked on.

Note that the BBC incorrectly stated the night before last that Guy Fawkes used 30 barrels of Gun Powder, he used 36. Not that we should knock the BBC...but on their budgets they should get this stuff correct.

Anyway the diary should be tested. I blame John Omilar for not doing enough about it (only kidding John).

It can a could be tested...I have offers from a well known american lab, who would do this and the Vineland map and Voynich manuscript for NOTHING if some TV company would put up the money to cover costs it could be done...I'm still waiting.

Richard I would love your veiws on 'the Great Briticsh Psychic challenge' I'm currently working on. My private email is: jeff.leahy@btinternet.com

No I'm not going back to Maybrick land I have a headache just keeping up with your posts..I need a holiday.

Jeff

MTR
Detective Sergeant
Username: Rigby

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 5:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kudos for Richard for taking the time to type that and post. (Remember, the price of a stamp to the US gets you 'proper' posting rights around here).

I just want to say that I watched most of MHL and the behaviour of Yvette towards Derek was despicable. Though I do doubt Derek's abilities, she has basically lived off the fella for years and now it appears that she and her production team are trying to turn his exit into a demise. From a professional POV her attempts to trip Derek up were indefensible (I'm thinking of the "How many fingers am I holding up ?" debacle, with poor Derek anxiously trying to squint through his shut eyes without being seen).

As much as I'd like to see Derek face some sort of charges for being a fake (AFAIK, there's no such thing as a "real" medium so they all are - and being a thoroughly nice chap is no defense), I'd be far happier if Antix and the producers of MHL were to face some kind of fraud charge. Because, essentially, they are attempting to defraud in the name of entertainment and revelling in the financial rewards and the loyal following of feeble-minded nutcases.

With magicians it's different. You can buy books to learn (most of) their tricks. Promoting a belief in the afterlife is essentially harmful. Making money out of it is essentially fraudulent.

Mike.

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 5:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike thank you for those kind words of enlightenment.

I just trust your aloud to be the main prosicutor so that we can all have a real good laugh.

Jeff

MTR
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 5:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If only I could be, mate. If only I could be. I'm not sure who'd be laughing though.

I very much look forward to all Derek's programmes in the coming months as he is top entertainment value if nothing else.

Oh, and are you not going to comment on his 'squinting' ? Did you see it ? Here's what happened: When Derek was 'taken over' and his eyes were shut she asked if he (i.e. "the spirit in Derek's body") could see her. Derek (oops, I mean "the spirit in Derek's body") replied "Yes" (in one of Derek's standard Possession Voices). Yvette, barely with enough time to blink, held her hands up to Derek and asked "How many fingers am I holding up ?". Clearly, this was a pre-meditated setup. Derek grunted and tried to peek (naughty boy). Then he answered incorrectly (or rather he gave the correct figure for the hand he could see but not her right hand which would have required a further squint or a dodgy head-turn). Evidently, Yvette was trying to 'out' him as a fraud.

Do try and rewatch that bit and try and tell me that Derek wasn't trying to peep. I really want to think you are as open-minded as you claim to be and are not just backing Derek because you believe him to be sincere or because he's a good laugh down the pub.

Mike.

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 6:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw this on Monday night on Ftn. One problem I saw was that, even if Derek did contact Jack then what were the odds of anyone believing him. The case is just too documented for anyone to take him seriously. Even when he was picking up Polly I was thinking "yeah right, you could have read about her", but then most people who study Jack the Ripper would think that. He did get her age wrong and I was wondering why on earth she would be haunting a pool table, but still. I don't really know what to believe when it comes to mediums. Sometimes I think that they could be real, but then my sceptical side just yell at my other side and says "don't be stupid, it's a con". I also still do not believe it was James Maybrick.

On a side note, now this is going to sound silly, but I've actually been feeling very anxious about the anniversary of Mary's death approaching. I've never given it a second thought before and it's usually gone by before I even remembered, but this year feels different. I have no idea why. Also, and please try not too laugh to hard, we don't want any casualties, it spooked me out that here in London was the warmest October on record since, you guessed it, 1888. I just keep feeling spooked out at the moment when I think about 9th November this year. I've been waking up scared and sometimes hearing things in my room and feeling like someone's looking at me (blimey no wonder I've had trouble sleeping!) Anyway, it's probably nothing, but that's how I've been feeling. I'm sure I'll feel better when 9th Nov has passed.

Sarah

P.S. Feel free to call me crazy. I do!
Smile and the world will wonder what you've been up to
Smile too much and the world will guess

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 6:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We'll actually Mike I make no appology for judging people by how they appear down the pub.

In my experience its the best your going to get.

We simply have no way of actually knowing what anyone really thinks 100%. And at the end of the day and some piont we have to trust our sences and have faith.

If you do not understand this I feel sorry for you.

I simply have no idea what psychics are doing or how they do it, I can only report what I have personally witnessed. I am also aware how little I know..'I know that I know nothing.'

for some the world is simple and black and white.

For others there is just endless posibility.

what I refered to however was your ability to make your claims stand in a court of law, given that these programmes quite clearly advertise themselves as entertainment and carry a disclaimer at the end.

Perhaps it is you that should read the small print.

Jeff

MTR
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 6:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry, I'm usually pretty good at small print. I don't think I ever claimed that anything would "stand in a court of law", did I ? I openly wished that certain people could be prosecuted. There's a difference.

For you Jeff, is there an endless possibility in the sum "2+2=" ? Or is the answer clear ? Are you really as open-minded as you claim to be or is your mind closed to obvious solutions (even when such answers are relatively boring) ?

Wouldn't it be great if people could communicate with the dead ? It would be headline news and yet, it isn't because thus far in Earth's journey through space and time nobody has ever proved that there is a verifiable 'Beyond' and that is the only rational POV for me to adhere to. The revelations on the site-you-wish-to-not-discuss-here only reinforce my assumption that all mediumship is smoke, mirrors and preparation. Oh, and emotionally-desperate relatives can play their part too.

I'm actually very open to the idea of an afterlife and that people can 'sense' it in some way but I'm not prepared to turn my brain off to discuss it with you or anyone else. In fact, I positively refuse to think without it (most of the time)

Mike.

Steve Swift
Detective Sergeant
Username: Swift

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MTR,

As I pointed out before, it was not so very long ago that a man was ostracised for claiming humans descended from apes, because someone tried to jump on the bandwagon with Piltdown man does that mean Darwin was a fake too?

It would be headline news and yet, it isn't because thus far in Earth's journey through space and time nobody has ever proved that there is a verifiable 'Beyond'

But using the same rationale, nobody has proved that it does NOT exist either have they.And just as their belief in its existing does not make it true,your belief does not make it false.

Its a good thing that not all human beings 'adhere to a rational POV' otherwise we would very much still be in the stone age.

Please explain to me the 'Watseka Wonder' of Illinois, explain 'Eve'.....you cant,nobody can because a 'rational' explanation does not exist for these events in history....but they happened none the less.
Bill Shankly to a Liverpool fan:
"Where are you from?"
"I'm a Liverpool fan from London."
"Well laddie . . . . What's it like to be in heaven?"

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 8:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The revelations on the site-you-wish-to-not-discuss-here

As you no perfectly well I am happy to discuss any subject on any terms what so ever...

'I might not agree with what you have to say but I will defend with my life your right to say it'

I think you will find that it was not me that threatened to prosicute casebook.

I agreed NOT to mention these people again, and I think you will find that I have kept to my side of the bargain... I am a man of my word.

Personally I was bought up to beleive in freedom of speech and fair play, that is the British way.

As for being open minded, yes I am, I simply have know idea what it is psychic's do, it is therefore very difficult to comment on. I know for a fact that I have been supplied with information that was not available in any book or computer referance..thats just fact. Could there be another explination...well yes there could, its called LUCK...he could have gotton lucky....it happens people have survived falling out of areoplanes.

I still would never dream of accusing anyone of fraud without tangible proof.

I just dont know what their doing, however, I do know that people with closed minds and who's only purpose seems to be to debunk, riddicule and destroy...I find very borring because they have nothing intelligent to offer expect critisisum.

If you wish to join the debate and contribute something then 'the Great British psychic challenge' starts on channel 5 very soon....we will attempt to answer these questions as openly as fairly and with as much expert and sceintific advice as possible.

Try utterlizing your energy for something positive. Life will just seem so much better.

Jeff

MTR
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve, There are rational explanations for any paranormal phenomena (many sceptics would deny the veracity of parts of the Watseka story for instance). Proving rational theories is the hard part. And then again, people will often believe what they want to believe. If some prefer to think of the world as having a spiritual other-side then that's fine. But belief without foundation is 'faith' and/or misguided ignorance (take your pick).

Jeff, I honestly don't think I'm being nearly as negative as you perceive me to be....I'm just trying to drag you towards the middle ground but you're resisting (again). In fact, I am very much looking forward to the Psychic Challenge programme and plan to watch with a (very) 'open mind'

Mike.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff,

But let me make this absolutely clear...NOBODY HAS EVER PROVED THAT THE DIARY IS A HOAX: FACT (Not even John).

John who? It was the late Melvin Harris who did all the work trying to prove his own very early hoax claims. And as far as I am aware, no one else has brought to the table a single solitary speck of original evidence for a modern hoax since Melvin claimed to know all we ever needed to know.

It can a could be tested...I have offers from a well known american lab, who would do this and the Vineland map and Voynich manuscript for NOTHING if some TV company would put up the money to cover costs it could be done...I'm still waiting.

When you pull this one off, Jeff, you will have my sincere admiration and thanks.

Love,

Caz
X

(Message edited by caz on November 02, 2005)

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz not certain what your saying here?

Do you have proof the diary is a fake?

Yes pulling stuff off on the diary, as you say, requires a mirracle but i would not state that I have these offers unless i had..

Its simply a question of raising the money, it is possible, but I am under no illusions how hard this will be..and obviously if that money was available I would hand it to someone capable of doing the job..

I make no bones about the fact that I am interested in being there with a camera to document the process if it ever happens.

Must go, big Kisses all

Jeff

Spiro
Sergeant
Username: Auspirograph

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 1:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An excellent idea Caz! Have Derek Acorah interview Melvin Harris as the living have no original evidence for a modern hoax.

It's worth a try isn't it?

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 9:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff,

Do you have proof the diary is a fake?

I wished! I'd be off to prospective publishers like a shot.

Love,

Caz
X

Jeff Leahy
Inspector

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oY zac

So nothing has really changed in Maybrickland.

I see Mr P has narrowed down some idea's of possible ink tests.

The diary is a problamatic thing...The Voynich is pritty simle carbon dating, the Vineland map is probably a genuine map with the out line of America added by a forger at a later date. It could be dated useing the latest magnification of, I beleive, 'yellow' lines. The casement Diaries is a relativly easy process using a new Canadian hand writing computor programme...then there's your damn Diary which will probably cost as much as the rest put together..

Out damn spot..

Good luck Caz

PS OY dyslexia rules KO.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed it does, Ffej.

Dyslexics of the world untie.

I appreciate your good humour, as well as all your efforts with the damned one.

Vole,

Zac
XXX

matt will
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah- I have been feeling the same way this year and I don't know why either. I have always been interested in this case since I was about 6 or 7 years old. I had heard about Jack the Ripper, but seeing the film Jack's Back in 1988 really peaked my interest. it's not the best example of a Ripper film, but c'mon, I was only 7. I have seen most of the movies and television specials on the case. Over the years I have remmebered the dates but this year does seem different. I have spent the last few months on the casebook more often than before. then there was this Most Haunted show that I never really watched before. who knows, maybe the game's afoot. We'll soon find out.

matt will
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah- I have been feeling the same way this year and I don't know why either. I had heard about Jack the Ripper when I was younger, but seeing the film Jack's Back in 1988 really peaked my interest. it's not the best example of a Ripper film, but c'mon, I was only 7. I have seen most of the movies and television specials on the case. Over the years I have rememebered the dates but this year does seem different. I have spent the last few months on the casebook more often than before. Then there was this Most Haunted show that I never really watched before. Who knows, maybe the game's afoot. We'll soon find out.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.