Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Special offer on Ripper Notes back is... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripper Notes » Special offer on Ripper Notes back issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 932
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You've heard other people talking about it. You've seen the covers. When people are debating topics here on the boards you've seen the references to the research published in the magazines. But for whatever reason you just never got around to subscribing to Ripper Notes.

Well, you're in luck, because we're making it easy for you to catch up on what you missed. In honor of the Brighton conference this week, we're running a 5 Pack Back Issue special: All five issues of the magazine since it came out with its new format in July of 2004 for the price of four.

The five issues in question

These issues contain all the essential research and analysis that put Ripper Notes at the top of the field, being called "the best of all Ripper related periodicals" by the Whitechapel Society 1888 Journal and rated #1 with 4 1/2 stars by the Casebook reader poll.

Although we're running this special in honor of the conference, you don't have to be there to take part. All you have to do is go to the following link and follow the directions there: http://www.rippernotes.com/fivepack.html

In case you are wondering, the threads in this section contain more info on what each of those issues contain, and there's also the full table of contents and sample articles available at the Casebook's Ripper Notes page.

...and by the way, we've also got big news on some of the contents of this month's issue being announced at the conference. Be on the lookout for more details to be announced there, here... and everywhere.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 937
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've had a few people already take advantage of this 20% off special, but for those who still might be interested keep in mind that this offer will only be available for a limited time.

And for those who asked, no, this offer is only for these particular five back issues and not for subscriptions or renewals, sorry. Part of the reason we can discount these issues by that much is that packaging them all together saves on postage as compared to sending them one by one as new issues come out.
Dan Norder, Editor

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 5:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahem...perhaps a brief list of the articles within each magazine is in order,Mr.Norder.

How Brown
Prop.
WWW.JTRForums.com

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 939
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 4:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard,

I briefly noted some of the highlights on the page the link above goes to, but the full list is pretty impressive:

July 2004 - "America Looks at Jack the Ripper"
1892 Dr. Robert Anderson interview rediscovered (Dan Norder), comprehensive in-depth report on the Carrie Brown murder in New York focusing on suspects and if she was a Ripper victim (Wolf Vanderlinden), Ripperology and the use of technology (John Hacker), Dr. Hewitt and how suspects get named (Stan Russo), Lusk kidney's origin questioned (Tom Wescott), a Ripper-like mutilation murder in modern-day Philadelpha (Howard Brown), plus the regular contents (news briefs, reviews, The Inquest by Jennifer Pegg, letters and puzzles).

October 2004 - "Madmen, Myths and Magic"
Serial sadistic stabbers (Jan Bondeson), brief look at earlier serial killers (Amanda Howard), more self-professed Ripper psychics past and present than you can shake a dowsing rod at (Wolf Vanderlinden), Mrs. Maxwell's milk run meeting with Mary (Paul Begg), Jack compared to horror literature figures in the news (Wolf Vanderlinden with kind of a forerunner to his news morgue feature), Polly Nichols was killed where 'witches' were tortured (Bernard Brown), Vesica Piscis symbol as seen in Ripper murders and Lindbergh kidnapping (Tom Wescott), finding patterns in the crime scenes (Dan Norder), Stride's murder was a change and why (Antonio Sironi), Ripper hysteria all the way to a Colorado mining town (Roger Peterson), the usual features (Jennifer Pegg's The Inquest, news briefs, reviews and letters, including the very amusing Poultry of a Killer response to Cornwell's book) and a map of the East End on the back cover with the five canonical murders marked.

January 2005 - "How the Newspapers Covered the Jack the Ripper Murders"
Journalist mistakes in reporting Mary Jane Kelly's death (Don Souden), Irish press views on London police (Alan Sharp), contemporary news reports that make you go hmmm (Wolf Vanderlinden), "When the People Were in Terror" - a complete reprint of a comprehensive series of 1929 newspaper articles covering the whole series of Whitechapel murders and its after effects (Norman Hastings, with intro by Nicholas Connell), update on the R.J. Lees psychic story (Stewart Evans), the Ghost Club talks Jack (Jennifer Pegg), the Cloak and Dagger Club celebrates the season (Caroline Morris), the debut of the news morgue clips and comments column with part one of Jack in America (Wolf Vanderlinden), and all the rest (Jennifer Pegg's The Inquest, news briefs, reviews and letters - with a long one from Paul Begg expanding on parts of his book The Facts in response to the review in October).

April 2005 - "Murder by Numbers"
Criticizing the conventional wisdom on Chapman's time of death (Wolf Vanderlinden), Factor X: what captured serial killers can tell us about the Ripper (Amanda Howard), the police officer who thought he almost caught Jack and got wounded in the process (Bernard Brown), two mysterious prostitute murders in London just a few years before 1888 (Jeffrey Bloomfield), were there two Mary Jane Kellys? (Des McKenna), puppets in a Ripper play and the discussion afterwards (Robert J. McLaughlin), the regular features (part 2 of the news morgue on reports of the Ripper in America, the debut of the vintage art vault, Jennifer Pegg's The Inquest, news briefs, reviews, a letter and the return of puzzles) and cover art by Jane Coram.

July 2005 - "Suspects & Witnesses"
The comprehensive case against Druitt (Andrew Spallek), Hutchinson's status as witness and suspect examined (Stewart Evans), Barnett and Billingsgate Market (Leanne Perry), Tumblety facts from fiction (Wolf Vanderlinden), Dr. Cream's confession debunked (Jeffrey Bloomfield), the unreliability of Ripper witnesses (Don Souden), the two conflicting Conder theories (Des McKenna), Thomas Jones - linked to a Ripper-like attack or victim of a false witness? (Tom Wescott), news morgue clips and analysis of reports that the Ripper was locked up in an asylum (Wolf Vanderlinden), the regular features (the Inquest by Jennifer Pegg, news briefs, reviews, the vintage art vault, etc.) and cover art by Jane Coram.

That's a lot of Ripper content!
Dan Norder, Editor

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That sure is,Dan...

...and it could all be yours for free.

Thats right...free.

While encouraging those of you who don't get this great periodical to subscribe or to take Dan up on this offer [ think 5 years down the line,when you may not be able to get one or have to pay treble what they cost now...] Big Daddy Brown has a deal for the ages for you..Oh,I must be nuts to do this !

Nuts or not,here's the deal:

JTR Forums.Com is in operation for the fledgling writer or theorist [ just like this site,of course...heh heh..]...as well as all other areas of Ripperology.

I'll buy a 5 Pack deal for the best story,thesis,or article not currently in print that is submitted from now....until November 9th...when the contest closes.

We don't play favorites with people,so don't worry what your subject is on...

I'll even get an independent [ non-RN staff or myself ] judge to determine the best story. Like I said...no favorites played.

Carry on, Mr. Norder.......

Our web address is www.JTRForums.com

How Brown
Prop.
WWW.JTRForums.com

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 433
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 8:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man, I'm tempted to take Howard up on this offer. Even though I have these issues, I'd like pristine copies to collect and a set to read.

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly,Colwell...thats what I want you to do...take me up on it. I'm good for it.

Take the case of Stewart Evans for a moment...

He actually got rid of his original Ripper collection and then had to go out and re-buy it in the late 1980's...some things he was not able to recover in the reestablishing of his collection. Sad.

...one added feature of this promo is that not only will the best story be rewarded { I am going to ask this website's owner,whathisname Ryder,to be the judge when he gets back from Brighton ] with a free 5 Pack...but the staff of Ripper Notes may want to include that story in a future issue...

...the gauntlet has been tossed.

And if YOU don't enter,Tom...it would be a shame.
How Brown
Prop.
WWW.JTRForums.com

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 941
Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 5:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey How,

Sounds like a great offer. The special discount won't last until Nov. 9 (interesting choice of dates for the deadline) but I'll save a set for you.

Hi Tom,

Well, as the editor I'm not typical, but I do have a set of issues by the computer for easy reference an then another set I put on the bookshelf in the Ripper section of my library because they look so good there. Stacked together they are thicker than most the books there. More up-to-date too.
Dan Norder, Editor

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 956
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 5:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those who were actually at the conference and so didn't see this announcement, and for those who saw and thought about it bit didn't act yet, I thought I'd pop in and remind people about this special. In a while here we'll close it off so the price will go back up.
Dan Norder, Editor

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.