Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

50 Most Signif.Individuals In Rec.His... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Other Books by Ripper Authors » 50 Most Signif.Individuals In Rec.History- Stan Russo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 802
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Gang..

If you're like me in that much of your reading is Ripperologically related or your rare free time is spent re-reading Ripperologically related material,you know that it has to be a good book for you to spend time on it....

Stan Russo has written just such a book that I thought I'd start a thread devoted to discussing it here in General Discussion.

The 50 Most Significant Individuals In Recorded History is the title of Stan's very fine book. In ascending order, Stan discusses the 50 people that he felt from his research that earned the right to be on this illustrious list. Stan goes into the backgrounds of many of these people that will surprise you.

I've lent it out to three people and had to ask them repeatedly for it back. They were engrossed in the book that much.

Examples you say ? How about # 35, Ignac Fulop[ John Phillip ] Semmelweis...the Hungarian [ yeah, there's one of my tribe in the list..] whose insistence on hand sterilization by medical personnel,led to the creation of the germ theory and eventual implementation of antiseptic measures during surgery. Old Ignac [ pronounced, Ig-Notz ] is directly responsible for saving millions of lives.

Many of the people on Stan's list won't surprise you [ Jesus,Edison,Pasteur,Gutenberg ], while some will [ Odo De Lagery, Elizabeth The First, Ibn Sina ...].

I have issues with how some are ranked myself. For example, how on earth could Hitler be rated only 36th...behind the aforementioned Semmelweis! Hitler may well have been the most important person of the 20th Century. Had Hitler reversed his anti-Slav and anti-Jewish platform after obtaining power...oh,the possibilities ! Much of 20th century technology came from the theoretical work done by emigrant "enemies of the State" and by Nazi's themselves. The moon landing..jet engines..polyurethane foam..the list goes on...

...and then there is the omission of Uncle Joe Stalin,whose evil ranks right up there with Hitler and Chairman Mao, the list-omitted author of the Little Red Book.

Stan culled through over 500 people in creating this book. For the history buff,its a handy reference work...for the parent,its a great tool for writing book reports,research papers and the like. Last school year,my daughter wrote a book report on Pasteur [ in the top 5 ] while in the 4th Grade.

Tom Wescott has read it [ and you know he doesn't read much besides Ripper material...] and sings the book's praises as well.

The 50 Most Significant Individuals In Recorded History [ISBN 0-9759129-9-2],published by the fine folks at Inklings Press, and is available on Amazon.com

Hopefully,Stan will re-emerge on the boards to discuss his book and explain to me,an East Coast guy, how in the world he could have left off the inventor of the cheesesteak..the hoagie...twist top beer..and Marlboro reds !

Its a very good book,folks.

Stan Russo
Inspector
Username: Stan

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 1:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

Thanks as always for your kind words on the new book. I am getting some great reviews and just glad that people like it and are discussing it with friends.

One minor correction. The book is in descending, not ascending order. I did that specifically, ranking them from 50 down to 1, to allow the reader the opportunity to join along and almost become a part of the book, as they try to imagine where there favorite historical figures will end up.

As far as the cheesesteak, hoagie and Marlboro, please. Twist top beer? Maybe I screwed up.

SJR

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a big fan of the book as well, How: I haven't been able to get it back from my oldest son (13) since I let him borrow it. It is clearly not written with the children's market in mind, but I think the format of a book - a list - and the brief, hard hitting descriptions of why each individual belongs on the list catches the attention of those suffering from teenaged ADD.

In short, buy a copy for yourself and one for your kids.
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

Thanks and I'm glad you like it. I know a guy that can get the book back for you, no questions asked. Just say the word.

SJR

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 678
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

Doesn't this thread belong in Pub Talk?

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 834
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Don,

Yeah, the General Discussion up at the tippy top is labeled for JtR stuff only, but a lot of things that get placed here are a bit of a stretch. This book is by a Ripper author and published by a normally Ripper publisher (although neither of those facts was strongly stressed in the original post), so it fits a little better than some things here.

I could also see Other Mysteries (it's a little off for the normal threads there, but maybe), the Books area or perhaps Pub Talk. To be honest none of them is a perfect fit. The final determination would, of course, would be up to Stephen. I'm sure the thread starter, the author and that zany publisher guy would support a move to anywhere that might be more appropriate should it be deemed advisable.

My big question was going to be why Jack didn't make the top 50. After all, who would all the serial killers be trying to live up to if he hadn't been around? Who else could the people who don't want to go all the way to calling people Hitlers refer to when they want to insult someone? Who else could manage to links foreigners, doctors, lefties, Freemasons and snappy dressers to brutal acts of homicidal savagery? Certainly that ranks above people who started world religions and made revolutionary scientific discoveries and such, right?

Well, if nothing else as publisher I have a free copy to read myself to see why he didn't make the top 50. I guess some of these people did some important things. Wonder how many of them had goofy anagrams made about them or inspired engraved watches selling on eBay?
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

Thanks for the kind words. I would have said that in response to Don's post but I'm still searching for the kind words, or any words that would actually warrant a professional response.

How do you know within this book the true name of 'JTR' does not lie? (eerie voice in the background)

SJR

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 680
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

I agree with you that there are a lot of topics under the General Discussion rubric that don't belong here; some would have fit neatly into Suspects or Victims or the like and other threads ought never have been started. I can also see how you as publisher don't mind the publicity (as long as everyone's name gets spelled right, eh?).

The problem, though, is that everyone with a non-Ripper book (I've got a couple) might want to get their friends to start posting favorable comments here and as we have both observed, the General Discussion section is already suffering a population explosion.

My suggestion, for what it is worth, is that in the Ripper Media section Stephen establish an area where registered posters non-Ripper books can be discussed.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 681
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan,

Glad to see you lost none of your charm during your recent recent Casebook hiatus.

Don.

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,

Waiting on permission to do what everyone knows and is hoping I should do. Until then, be patient. And I don't recommend my book for you. It has big words.

SJR

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 682
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan,

Waiting on permission to do what everyone knows and is hoping I should do.

Harming yourself isn't the answer.

Don.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3290
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the 'tudes to email, please.
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3291
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the suggestion - have created a "Books by Ripper Authors" subtopic and moved this thread there...

Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you kindly Stephen.

SJR

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 807
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan.....

How long did it take you to accumulate the original 500 people on your list?

...and how long did it take for you to narrow it down to the 50?

Thanks

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

I spent over three years researching the book. when I say over 500 people, that was the total amount of people who had been on the list during the entire process.

The first list only had about 15 people that made the final list. So the lists were where the people got juggled off and on, as more and more history research was conducted. I kept all the old lists, so I counted them and it came close to 500 different people.

The final 50 was made final three days before printing. I made one change on that day, and had to write another bio. If I had delayed it a month longer I'm sure I would have made another change.

So one got bounced and one got pushed on late. It might have been a mistake, but thats the beauty of the book, I feel. I'm not right, because there is no right, just discussion.

Hope that helps.

SJR

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

My review of this book appears in the new Ripperologist. I had every intention of creating a thread such as this, but have been so backed up (I haven't even finished reading the new Rip yet!) that it totally slipped my mind. I'm glad Howard had the initiative to do so. And I seriously doubt he was prodded at all by Stan. I certainly wasn't. Everyone knows Stan and I have our differences, but a good book is a good book. I'm certain even Don Souden would get something out of THIS book, and I'm not saying that to pick on Don, whom I certainly have no problem with. But I'll bet he would find it interesting and it would be nice to see his feedback.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 7:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you liked the book. Some people can put differences behind them and review the book objectively, as you have done. Others will always remain hateful after they are showed up. This is one of life's certainties.

I look forward to hearing more comments on the book and am glad that people are enjoying it.

SJR

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 518
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this yours, Don ? I see this on Abebooks.

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=519406061
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 685
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir Robert,

Yes, I checked and it is. But I don't want to intrude further on this thread which should be devoted to Stan's book.

Don.

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 278
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,

From a professional standpoint, good luck with the book. Feel free to discuss ordering possibilities here. Any press is good press. It's not going to take away from my book. Maybe I'll buy it myself. I'm a sucker for mysteries, as you probably know.

If you like history check out my book, and if you want provide an honest opinion here, even if you don't like it. That's what my book is for, discussion.

SJR

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 519
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Feel free to discuss ordering possibilities here"

I second that emotion. How do we go about ordering our autographed copies, Don ? When we get it, we can discuss it elsewhere but this is as logical a place as any to discuss ordering. I've tried Amazon but so far, no go.
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir Robert,

I'm surprised at Amazon, but B&N says same-day delivery in Manhattan for the paperback version. The hardcover is now harder to find, but if anyone is interested they can email me personally at Souden667@aol.com and I can arrange for autographed copies.

Don.

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 520
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You've got (e)mail, Don. Thanks.
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3940
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 6:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can surely recommend Don's book; it's a good mystery and well written.

I haven't read Stan's book, though, I am afraid, so naturally I can't comment on it. Maybe I'll get the chance later when things have calmed down a bit in my end.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 7:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

Jennifer Pegg has copies for sale, as does Dan Norder and amazon.com. if you do get it I hope you enjoy it and feel free to discuss the book. That's what its for.

SJR

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Stan! I havent had a chance to get a copy yet, but I remember you and I discussing the concept back in Balt. in 02. I think this would be a great chatroom discussion. Im off both Mon. and Tues, is that OK by you? You have my email, or you can reply here. Im sure both Vila and Thomas will get aboard on this one, even though its not Ripper related. Give me a call...even though Im still pissed at comming in at 51....Brad PS...Ally is pissed at being 52...be scared...be very, very scared

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 5:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brad,

That is right. We did discuss it at the table. I would be more than happy to discuss it in the chat room if people want to. And even though you were #51, Ally was not #52, she was #51 A. I am scared.

SJR

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 831
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally couldn't crack my top 50 "toughest chicks I ever met" list. Proof of that to be on display in April......when she tries to crack that list.

Stan....Who are some of the people you did have to leave off there,paisano?

(Message edited by howard on August 20, 2005)

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 5:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

Some of the people left off that I would have loved to put on somewhere were

Thales of Ionia
Ibn Rushd
Norman Borlaug
Ganger Hrolf
John Hawkins
Hiram of Tyre

and of course

Porphyrus

Hope that helps.

SJR

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.