Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jack the Ripper: A Confession (Ripper... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Fiction Books » Jack the Ripper: A Confession (RipperArt, 2005) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3289
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is showing up on Amazon.com and Amazon.UK ... more info as it becomes available
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2400
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, at least it is cheap.
The publishers would probably be a bit upset to find out that the majority of Spitalfields whores in 1888 were under the age of twenty; and Mary Jane would have been considered well past her prime.
What was that song she was singing as she got ripped?

Stan Russo
Inspector
Username: Stan

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP,

I'm just guessing here - but I think it was "Enter Sandman" by Metallica. Great Song.

SJR

P.S. - it was "a flower I plucked from my mother's grave"

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 6:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't that blurb difficult to read, white against a black and white background?

For a moment I thought the authors were threatening to expose the underbelly of a Victorian English whore...

Chris Phillips

John Malcolm
Sergeant
Username: Johnm

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 6:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"True Crime: Fiction" What the- ?...

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 804
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 7:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks...

The two gents who wrote this book are the mapmaking guys from Ripperart....hence the "RA" on the binding.

Sherlock

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 6:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How - seems a shame then that the people who could make such a great resource as the map can put their names to something only one step in regression from THE FINAL SOLUTION.

Stan - So many different names to the song (and, of course, it wasn't 'as she got ripped' - it was with Mr Fat Carrot around midnight). The title I know it as is 'Only A Violet I Plucked From Mother's Grave' but there's loads of others. 'A Violet From Mother's Grave', 'Only A Violet I Plucked When But A Boy' and various other incarnations. Even 'Enter Sandman' I believe is amongst them. Personally, anachronistic though it is, I would have liked her to have been singing 'The Hokey Cokey'. And it has nothing to do with 'You put your left hand in...'

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Stan Russo
Inspector
Username: Stan

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hutch,

I know the song wasn't being sung "as she got ripped". I think AP was either joking or just plain curious about the song. As long as it wasn't anything from N Sync or New Kids on the Backstreet in 98 Degree weather.

SJR

BJS JTR poker
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would hope, all consider this a foray into fiction, correct?

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 658
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 8:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the dilemma, BJS JTR poker (that's a mouthful).

I hope as soon as anyone knows they'll tell us! It is a ludicrous theory, but I have just two words to say to give credence to the suggestion the book wants to be classified as non-fiction. LEWIS CARROLL.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Geoff Cooper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack The Ripper: A Confession
Geoff Cooper, Gordon Punter

Edition: Paperback
Book Description
Jack the Ripper – a person known but unknown. A person of almost mythical stature who stills haunts us today. Many authors have postulated his identity but have failed to explain the terrible motive behind his hideous murders – that is until now. ‘Jack the Ripper: A Confession’ is the chilling account on why the murders occurred and why they ceased so abruptly. It also reveals the identity of the man, known as Jack the Ripper, who, towards the end of the nineteenth century, held the entire district of Whitechapel, London, England, in a grip of unparalleled terror.

Customer Reviews
Nicely Impressed, November 7, 2005
Reviewer: William Walsh from Ireland
Not being a Ripperologist I was nicely impressed by this book. I think it should appeal to all true crime fans, ripperologists and general fiction readers alike.

For general fiction fans the first third of the book might be a little hard going as it contains factual documents and memos relating to the police investigation (I e-mailed the authors to confirms their authenticity, sad I know) but in hindsight they give you a wonderful understanding of the total helplessness of the police force and authorities at the time.

The book describes in vivid detail the dark, seedy world where these poor women were stalked and includes maps to stop you getting lost and to provide you with an idea of how easily "Jack" could have escaped in the warren of back streets and courtyards.

On reaching the last pages of the book you will be left feeling as if you had actually sat in the same room with the Ripper, the theories and motives behind the crimes all seem more than beliveable and although you might feel a misplaced sympathy for Jack you will also feel cheated at not seeing him swing from the end of a rope or lynched by a mob.

All in all an excellent read and has already become Xmas presents for two other friends.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.