Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Is this the best / worst non-fiction ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Jimmy Kelly's Year of Ripper Murders (Morrison, 1988) » Is this the best / worst non-fiction Ripper book ever? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 599
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just had a beautiful mint copy of this book turn up.

It is truly hysterical. Does any one else have it? The history is an amazing work of fiction, full of non-existant conversation and false deductions, the images cut and pasted from newspapers (modern), the text typewritten, full of errors and Banda printed.

I understand it is a really rare book these days. I love it.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3818
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Hutch,

I haven't read it, but as I understand it is a self-published typed volume on photocopies.
As far as the content concerned it is supposed to be one of the worst JtR books ever written (although the author John Morrison himself is said to have stated that it's one of the best researched books on the Ripper -- oh well...), not necessarily because of the subject (James Kelly) but -- as you refer to -- because of the bad research and the fictitious claims - like James Kelly once should had been Mary Jane Kelly's girlfriend and been killing her because she had turned into a prostitute and then ripping up all her friends as well because they asked him of her whereabouts etc. Of course, nothing of that has any basis in reality, and I agree it's hilarious.

For those who wants to study James Kelly, Jim Tully's book Prisoner 1167: The Madman Who Was Jack the Ripper (Robinson, 1997) seems more relevant.

I would really like to read Morrison's weird publication, though, just for its curiosity status. And for the fun of it; I can certainly understand why you love it for that purpose. I would assume (since it was practically unpublished) that it would be a rare item today; can't think that the edition might have been that large.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on July 27, 2005)
G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 600
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You got it spot-on, Glenn.

I wonder is Morrison still with us?

I might get some of the best bits of text and put them up here for comedy value. Happy to jpeg you the entire book, Glenn, should you want it.

Here's just one gem, typos retained :

She was Swedish, and spoke with a broken English accent. In answer to his question "Do you know the whereabouts of Mary Kelly?' - Much to his surprise she replied "Yes" - "Kelly woman has 'pitch' in Mitre Square" which was some half mile away.... In his excitement he killed Elizabeth Stride, but did not mutilate the body. This led to the police believing that he had been disturbed, but had that been the case they would have found her body far sooner than they did.

Of course, discovery of a murder a few minutes after it has occured is a ridiculously long and inefficient time to wait.

At the opening of the book Morrison writes :

This is the most authentic account ever of the Whitechapel Murders. Authentic because it is the only version that would stand up in a British Criminal Court. All other so-called "theories" would not get into the charge room. Unlike those brilliant "Ripperologists", as they like to be known, the author of this booklet sets out on his three year long investigation to seek only the truth. Sensatialism and the fast buck were at no time part of his mental make-up.

Oh, it's a JOY!!! Even the cover is made up of cut-outs from newspapers!

PHILIP

Kelly Robinson
Inspector
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently the consulation of actual reference materials and the ability to spell were at no time part of his make-up either.
Sounds hilarious. Do post more!
-Kelly
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3819
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hutch,

No disrespect to Mr Morrison, in case he is till with us, but I must admit I laughed so hard from those quotes I had to roll around on the floor in pure stomach pain.
You're right -- it IS hilarious!

Sounds like you've caught a real treasure there. :-)

All the best
Sweden

Judith A. Stock
Sergeant
Username: Needler

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 1:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Must argue that Patricia Cory's mess is worse, but NOTHING approaches this one for sheer laugh value!! There is one for sale through Loretta Lay books if you want to track down a copy. This one reminds us all that we should ever strive to have a sense of humor!

Cheers,

Judy

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3821
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 1:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed, Judy.
We could all use a little laugh sometimes, and I would assume that is this particular publication''s greatest asset.

Thanks for the tip. Loretta is great and her stock is remarkable; she seems to have almost everything, so I am not surprised.

All the best
Sweden

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2807
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post the whole damned thing!!! am in bits here and away to Spain on Sat am!!!! keep me laughing eh?

Suzi x

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3822
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 4:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I don't know... isn't there some kind of copy-right to consider...?
Or how does it work? I think you should have the author's consent, but I may be wrong.

All the best
Sweden

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2332
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny that, the bits that Phillip posted reminded me just so much of two of the posters on these boards.
Stand up and be counted boys, one day you too could have photocopied trash like this polluting any real attempt to resolve a purely historical issue.
Way to go... mine's a double Spanish, no ice.

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 6:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi,

Spain where? If you land anywhere near Malaga, I'm always willing to stand a fellow Ripperologist a drink.

Eduardo

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP,

I think I know whom you refer to.

All the best
Sweden

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 601
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 8:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm so glad you all think this is funny.

Honestly, some people have no respect for serious work.

I just had about 50 people on my walk tonight. The weather was perfect. Drizzle. Lovely atmosphere. I couldn't go to bed without giving you some more gems from the typewriter of Mr Morrison...

Meanwhile James Kelly laughed his way back to Liverpool and another district known as 'Whitechapel', near Lime Street. It was from there he sent the first-ever 'Jack The Ripper' letter. He gave his address as 'Prince William Street', Liverpool. This was a corruption of two seperate streets that run indirectly off Whitechapel in Liverpool Central. He posted this letter wrongly, thinking that it would be franked 'Whitechapel', but it arrived in London bearing the postmark 'Central'. The letter boasted that the writer would be back to commit further murder. Satisfied that no 'Prince William Street' existed, the police decided the letter was a hoax, and went about their futile search for the East End killer in the wrong Whitechapel.

Oh all right then. One more for tonight.

Luring his victims down the various alleys and out of the way places was simplicity itself. He proffered one of the many gold sovereigns that he had stolen from Broadmoor - a small fortune in those days.

I could go on and on. And I might yet. I'll leave you for now with a copy of the cover. I think our own Jane Coram could learn a great deal in artistry from this supreme gem.

Cover

Now, now, people. Remember this is the only one that will stand up in a Court of Law...

PHILIP

PS : Glenn, I wish I could see your face when you see the above cover for the first time.

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3824
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooooh, Hutch.
Nice graphic design indeed. Very distinguished work. When was this done again? 1970? :-)

Don't tell me... it's A4 size...?

And who is 'Marie'?
I guess he picked that from the morning paper because 'Mary' wasn't available...?

'Slain by Killer'.. Is that the name of the publishing company?

That girl there in 1970s style is supposed to be Mary Kelly, I guess?
From where did he cut that out? An issue of Marvel Comics? Or a Barbie Benton LP?

I also like the typography. Very original...

I think it is amazing that all those things he claims have been lost to all of us. Naturally, there is evidence of all of it -- I see it now. We just missed it. Hmmm...

Totally hilarious. I must get that.
Thanks for giving us this, Hutch. It's priceless.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on July 27, 2005)
Sweden

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2808
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Love the cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eduardo- will be in Granada,Seville and Barcelona over 2 weeks!!

Suzi

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 445
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

John Morrison’s book “ Jimmy Kelly’s Year Of Ripper Murders 1888”, is a slim volume of about 40 pages in A5 size, the style and quality of his writing may not be very good, and the layout and design can only be described as amateurish.

But what Morison did do, is to come up with an original and plausible candidate for the Whitechapel Murders, and for this at least, I think he deserves our respect. The author has done his best to present his case to the best of his abilities and includes facsimiles of replies he has received from Broadmoor Hospital and the Home Office records department, as well as copies of MJK and James Kelly’s death certificates. On the last page he also lists briefly his sources. He also set out to convince “the authorities” to remove the word prostitute from MJK’s death certificate and to erect a headstone on her grave, the latter he seems to have achieved and he includes a photograph of himself at the grave with his newly erected memorial.

Author James Tully credits John Morrison as having been the first person to identify James Kelly as a possible suspect, and expanded upon Morrison’s theory in his book “Prisoner 1167 The Madman Who Was Jack the Ripper”.

I bought my copy of this book from Loretta Lay for a fiver, and quite honestly feel that I got more for my money, than from a higher priced book by a world famous author [who shall remain nameless].

Rgds
John

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3826
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,

Well, I think the main problem with the 'book' is that the conclusions Mr Morrison draws from the sources seems totally unsupported by facts and irrelevant. From the little I've read so far.
It is actually known as one of the worst researched books in the Ripper field -- in contrast to Tully's book, which is said to be the total opposite.

I haven't read this publication in full, I admit that, but I am hardly prepared to take fiction seriously in this context. And that is what Morrison's publication is, even though he might have tried to pass it off like something else.

There exists no evidence whatsoever that verifies any of the fictitous deductions and elaborations that Morrison appears to make regarding the Ripper crimes. It is all complete fantasies and not supported by any facts whatsoever. The quotes above in Hutch's post says it all; I mean, what kind of scientific approach is that? What lead him to such conclusions? What did all the rest of us miss in the sources?

If it really was Morrison who first suggested Kelly, he indeed deserves praise for that.
I can certainly think of worse suspects and I find James Kelly very intriguing; it is not his suspect that I feel is questionable.
As far as several of his arguments, I can't -- maybe except for the information regarding James Kelly and his particular case -- see any values in the publication besides pure humoristic ones and for the entertainment. One can't just simply take the speculations regarding Mary Kelly and the letters seriously for example.
He deserves kudos for giving Mary Kelly's unmarked grave a headstone, though.

Oh, so it was A5 size...?

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on July 28, 2005)
Sweden

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 804
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

The cover looks rather charming in an retro-punk anarchy 'zine kind of way. Reminds me of some of the treasures I found as a teen in alternative bookstores in Madison when I visited from the sleepy little town I grew up in.

As a self-publishing effort it's not too out of line for its time. This was a little before people could come up with professional layouts on home computers that were indistinguishable from the ones big companies did (of course even now it's not as easy as many people assume).
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Kelly Robinson
Inspector
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I swear to God that picture of Marie came from a wig ad! I've seen it!
-K
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3827
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 1:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, no one said the cover wasn't charming... Because it is... in it's own special way... :-)

All the best

Sweden

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 1:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi,

As I said, I live near Malaga, which is not far from Granada. Please email me at eduardo@ripperologist.info. Who knows, we might coincide somewhere round here.

Best,
Eduardo

John Savage
Inspector

Post Number: 446
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

In his book Morrison has a picture of somewhere called "The Clerk's House", which he claims was formerly the undertakers premises of Henry Wilton who paid for Mary's funeral & burial. He does not, alas, name the street in which it is to be found.

Sugden states that Henry Wilton, verger of St. Leonard's Church Shoreditch bore the cost of the funeral.

I was wondering if anyone had any more information about this, such as its location and was it really the premises of Henry Wilton, and was he an undertaker by trade?

Below is Morrisons picture and judging in by the car in the foreground it is relatively recent.

henry wilton

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 968
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,

The Times, 14 Nov 1888, gives Wilton's address as 119 High-street, Shoreditch. The Times, 20 Nov 1888, describes him as the clerk of St. Leonards (for over 50 years). People wishing to donate to MJK's burial fund were encouraged to send subscriptions to Wilton at the church.

Cheers,
Dave

(Message edited by oberlin on July 30, 2005)

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 605
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 7:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John -

I clearly wouldn't put much store by what Morrison says here. It sounds like (from David's post above) he got it all jumbled up, just like the rest of his book.

Likewise, I think you will find the various primary source material from various local newspapers is nothing to do with historical archives and all to do with the numerous cuttings relating to himself and his quest he reproduces in the book.

Finally, though his respect for MJK is admirable, we have to look at another aspect of his actions. By petitioning for the removal of the word 'prostitute' from MJK's Death Certificate Morrison should NOT be applauded. All this action serves to do is distort the facts. It is clear historical revisionism.

If you read his book between the lines you will see he had little respect for the victims, but obviously an obsession with MJK. To refer to the others numerous times as 'toothless old hags' he was constantly bolstering the image of MJK at the expense of all the others. He makes them all out to be stupid, dirty, slovenly old whores... yet Mary was a clever, beautiful victim.

I don't think that shows a great deal of respect myself.

PHILIP

John Savage
Inspector

Post Number: 447
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 8:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave,

I have checked the 1881 census, and Henry Wilton is listed as age 60, occuptation undertaker and address as 118 1/2 High Street Shoreditch. I have also done a quick internet search and this is the address of the "clerk's house", which today appears to be some sort of art gallery, so it looks as though Morrison was on the right track.

I wonder if he ran his undertakers business from this address. Has anyone got access to a Kellys Directory of the period?

Philip,

I am not suggesting that Morrison's book should be taken as seriously researched, but as I said before he came up with a new candidate for JTR, that James Tully was able to flesh out into something as plausible as many other suspects.
I note your comments about "toothless hags", and of course you are absolutely right, it does not show much respect.

Incidentally he lists one of his sources as the St. Leonards Archivist (London), so perhaps he researched Hernry Wilton with them.

Anyway, however poor his book may be, I have learnt a little about the undertaker who paid for MJK's burial, so I should be grateful to Morrison for that.

Rgds
John

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 606
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 4:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John

Yep - that's fair. I'll go along with you on that.

No one can doubt Morrison's intentions for MJK, or that he proferred James Kelly (and now, it seems, he produced something on Wilton though the latter would have been accessible to anyone who wanted to look).

I think, however, we can all agree he should never have attempted to write a book when he clearly knows next to nothing about the facts! He should have been one of James Tully's researchers. I think we would remember him more fondly had he not gone all the way.

PHILIP

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 1:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

Dig a little deeper into your Black Musuem. If you go in far enough you should find a trio of books... well, not books actually; stapled, photocopied pages between coloured covers. Have you found them yet? Why don't you post from these gems by John Pope de Locksley.

And while you're at it, where's the requisite quotes from Wallace, Wilding, Spiering, Feldman, Cory, Tyson, Ball et al.

I don't see the necessity in singling out Morrison for this thread? A general "What is the worst Ripper non-fiction book?" would have sufficed.

Maybe it's just me but I think less of books on the Whitechapel case by learned people than I do from a man with mental health issues.

Robert

AWood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

Loretta Lay has a copy available for Ł10 over at www.laybooks.com

Adam

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 814
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Yeah, didn't Morrison have some sort of woo woo thing with sleeping with the Kelly gravestone? He seemed (from what I heard anyway, didn't meet the guy) like one of those white knights obsessed with saving some poor damsel who wasn't at all like the perfect and pure image he had. Of course most of them at least pick living women to obsess about, this was a bit more out there than that.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 613
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert - I have about half the books you mention and some of them I haven't read because I know it would be a waste of time! I read the Morrison simply because it would take no time to read it, and every glance I took before sitting down to do so was hilariously funny in an academic way.

I have read one of De Locksley's offerings. He is actually a very nice guy. Mad as a hatter, of course. Several of us were handing it around in The City Darts a few weeks ago and it too was hysterical, not least for the spelling being truly atrocious, especially of suspects' names.

The difference with Morrison and De Locksley, at least, is that De Locksley has never claimed his was the only one that would stand up in court and attempts to discredit Ripperology in the same paragraph.

One has to question just how out of touch with reality Morrison was. I think he was unhinged and obsessive, but I don't know if that should thus be regarded as mental illness.

I concur with your view - if I understand it correctly - of thinking less of work by established authors than by the psychologically disturbed if the quality of the work is the same by both, but obviously I wouldn't understand your reasoning if you are saying you would think more of Morrison's book than an Evans!

I started this thread because, in my experience, it WAS the worst Ripper book I had ever seen, and no one had ever posted up any information about it on Casebook though the thread has been on the boards for some years. It was blank and awaiting comment.

Should I get around to reading the others and I have something to say on them I will do so!

Hope this squares things up.

PHILIP

cliveniall
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried unsuccessfully before to post this. My great great grandfather was Henry Wilton and he was the sexton of Shoreditch Church. An obituary for him that the family has somewhere states that he allowed prostitutes sanctuary in St Leonard's Church. My grandfather, also Henry Wilton, was born in the Clerk's House in 1891. SOme years ago we gave a painted portrait of my gg g'father and his wife to the church there but I don't know what happened to them thereafter.
Clive

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 879
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 8:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh, nice link, Clive! You just KNOW that loads of us are going to be asking you questions now you can't possibly know the answers to.

PHILIP

John Savage
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 529
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 5:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Clive,

Thank you that most interesting post, perhaps you could arrange with your family to let us know the content of Henry Wilton's obituary, it would also be great to see a picture of the man.

Rgds
John

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry Wilton (born circa 1821)

1901:
118 and a half High Street, Shoreditch
Head: H Wilton aged 80 born Frome, Somerset - Parish Clerk
Children:
Lavinia Lawrence aged 46 born Shoreditch - Servant to father
H Wilton aged 45 born Shoreditch - Upholsterer

1891: Not traced so far

1881:
118 and a half High Street, Shoreditch
Head: Henry Wilton aged 60 born Frome, Somerset - Undertaker (Widower)
Sons:
Charles Wilton aged 31 born London - Cabinet maker
Henry Wilton aged 23 born London - Cabinet maker

1871:
Same address as 1881
Head: Henry Wilton aged 50 born Somerset - Undertaker
Wife: Emily Ann Wilton aged 46 born London
Children:
Charles aged 21 - Cabinet maker
Lavinia aged 16 - Cook
Henry aged 15 - Fishmonger
Walter aged 11
All born in London

1861:
119B Shoreditch, London
Head: Henry Wilton aged 40 born Frome, Somerset - Parish Clerk and Undertaker
Wife: Emily A Wilton aged 34 born Shoreditch
Children:
Arthur aged 8
Henry aged 5
Lavinia aged 6
Walter aged 2
All born in Shoreditch

1851:
16 William Street, Shoreditch
Head: Henry Wilton aged 30 born Frome, Somerset - Sexton, St Leonard, Shoreditch
Wife: Emily Wilton aged 24 born Shoreditch
Children:
Emily aged 3
Charles H aged 1
George H aged 4

Death:
The only entry so far found that fits with age (born 1821) and location is:
Shoreditch
June 1907
Wilton, Henry aged 86

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 1:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this brief entry about the Clerk's House:
1181/2 Shoreditch High Street, which was built in 1735 as a house for the Parish Vestry Clerk, stood in splendid isolation until 2001. It is now propped up by a new building, by Richard Griffiths Associates, to provide rented accommodation for the single homeless..

Here is a picture of St Leonards and the Clerk's House as they are today:

John Savage
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 531
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting those details, and also the picture, nice to know the house is still standing.

Rgds
John

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.