Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Curse Upon Mitre Square = Nonfict... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Curse Upon Mitre Square: A.D. 1530-1888, The (John Francis Brewer , 1888) » The Curse Upon Mitre Square = Nonfiction? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 735
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 7:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find it strange that this book is listed as non-fiction here. The main character is a spirit from beyond the grave. It tells us that a ghastly ghost of a mad monk killed Kate. It's made up, creative writing, a penny dreadful, or, in a word, fiction.

Oh, and since I'm posting anyway, the ebook version that used to be for sale is now apparently free. The website used to have a link to purchase it through PayPal, but now it's just a download link. See for yourself by clicking this link.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

By your standards, most Ripper books would also have to be listed under 'fiction'. There is a factual basis for the whole 'Curse on Mitre Square' thing. The author just spiced it up a bit.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 737
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry, please tell me you're pulling my leg.

If an episode of the X-Files with aliens implanting black slime into people takes place in Washington DC, the fact that DC is a real city doesn't make the story non-fiction.

The Curse Upon Mitre Square features fictional characters doing fictional things. It is written as straight fiction meant to entertain instead of educate (or mis-educate, as is the case with poor quality non-fiction). Heck, it's even known historically as the first example of Ripper fiction.

That makes it pretty clearly fiction by any definition of the word.

Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Helge Samuelsen
Detective Sergeant
Username: Helge

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 2:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, this is fiction allright!

Interesting read though. Or should I say, fascinating?

Helge
"Please, Spock, do me a favor ... don't say it's `fascinating'..." Dr. McCoy

"No... but it is...interesting..." Spock (The Ultimate Computer)

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 571
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 4:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks.

I shall be mentioning this book when I talk at the Brighton Conference.

Tom - I'm afraid the only link with reality in this book is the fact that The Priory Of The Holy Trinity stood on this site. That is it. The rest is indeed a work of fiction, not least for the fact that the altar, where Brother Martin is supposed to have killed the fair maiden who had been allowed into the church to pray (which wouldn't have happened anyway - this suggestion of her being allowed to approach the High Altar by herself), would actually have been in Houndsditch.

The layout of the Priory means that Ripper's Corner, which according to Brewer marks the spot of Brother Martin's attack, could actually have not been any further from the actual spot if it tried!

Dan - I'm very keen on getting an actual copy of this, but the link is great news!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.