Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

"The Victorian Underworld" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » General Discussion » "The Victorian Underworld" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam Went
Inspector
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 6:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!

I'm just wondering, has anyone else here read this book before?
If not, it's one I would recommend 100%, and have recommended it elsewhere before.

It's written by Donald Thomas, and was published in 1998. I haven't got through it all yet, but what I have read, it's a fascinating book, and paints a very interesting, yet quite unfortunate picture of life for people of the class that Jack the Ripper's victims came from.
It starts off with a fair amount of info about the surveys and interviews that famous author Henry Mayhew did amongst the London poor in the mid - 1800's.
The interviews he conducted with people of the poor class, especially youth, are very interesting.
There is also several mentions of Jack the Ripper in the book, along with other famous crimes and criminals, such as James Maybrick, Thomas Neill Cream, and many more.

So, if you haven't got that book yet, and are interested in a very detailed account of exactly what the life and times of the class of people that Jack the Ripper's victims came from in the mid-late 1800's, then I whole heartedly recommend it. You won't be disappointed!

For those who have read the book already, what did you think of it??

Regards,
Adam. :-)
"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once."
- Kirsten Cooke,"Allo' Allo'"

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam,

Yes, I have read this book and would say that it is well worth reading by anone who has an interest in JTR.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the book.

Rgds
John

Adam Went
Inspector
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,

Yes, I definitely agree with you there. A very worthwhile book to check out, and it certainly gives a very detailed view of life in Victorian times.

I'm sure the rest of the book will be just as good. Looking forward to reading it! Thanks John!

Regards,
Adam.
"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once."
- Kirsten Cooke,"Allo' Allo'"

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.