Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

HBO's "Deadwood" Ripper Connection?... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Television Programmes » HBO's "Deadwood" Ripper Connection? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Sean Browne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings,

I just discovered this site and am in the process of registering for proper membership but I wanted to know if anyone here watched the recent episodes of HBO's "Deadwood"?

Reason being there is a character that within the last two episodes of the show took a straight-edged razor to three prostitutes (within less than an hour of "Deadwood" time) killing them all.

This season of "Deadwood" takes place several months after the murder of Wild Bill Hickok which happen approximately on August 2nd 1876. This is, of course, 12 years before the Whitechapel Ripper killings so I realize there is a big difference in time between the fictional "Deadwood" murders and the actual Ripper slayings; but I can't help to wonder if the producers of "Deadwood" are in their own way trying to show the birth of the Ripper as an American who will eventually cross the ocean to ply his bloody trade in London. Since this show seems to enjoy mixing reality with fiction, the thought just crossed my mind.

Did anyone else see this show or have similar thoughts?

Thank you,

G.Browne

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 818
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi George,

That's a great show, isn't it? I saw the episode you're talking about--the character's name is Wolcott, I think. Something tells me Mr. Wolcott's not going to make it out of 1876.

I think it would be a hoot if they had Tumblety stroll into Deadwood (and didn't Tumblety go through a Wild West phase?) Forget the Ripper connection, he's just a colorful character out of history. It would be fun to see what Calamity Jane would make of him.

Anyway, great show. Ian McShane is terrific. The scenes with Swearengen and Wu are awfully fun.

Cheers,
Dave

Paul Reiners
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just thinking the same thing myself last night, when I was watching the final episode. I wasn't sure of the relative dates between the Deadwood episodes and the Ripper killings. I knew that there were theories that Jack the Ripper had emigrated to America after the Whitechapel killings, so I was disappointed to find out that these episodes preceded the London killings. But I guess this time sequence makes sense too. He kills in the U.S., moves to England and kills there, and then maybe moves back to the U.S.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.