Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

An 1888 movie? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Movies » An 1888 movie? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stanley D. Reid
Sergeant
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all

Yes, indeed; at least two in fact and they were both shot in England during the month of October 1888! These movies were made in the Leeds region of Yorkshire by film pioneer Louis Le Prince and are believed to be the first ever made.

The first film, a garden strole, as far as I can find, only now exists as a single frame. It features Le Prince's Mother-in-law, Sarah Whitley who died weeks after the movie was made.

The second, "Traffic Crossing Leeds Bridge", still exists, in fact, if you go to the Internet Movie Database, you can link to a site and view a two second clip of this movie. It was shot at 12 frames per second; the rate of a modern day animated film.

I was facinated. Just think, although the chances are very remote, you could be watching the actual Jack the Ripper walking across this bridge while on his October holiday from killing in London!

Louis Le Prince vanished on September 16, 1890 while traveling from Bourges to Dijon, France. Neither British nor French police were ever able to determine his fate. Since it's popular to accuse people who presumably died shortly after the murders stopped of being the killer, how long will it be before some one comes up with a Le Prince Ripper theory?

Regards,

Stan

Jack the Rapper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 7:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Damn, I'd love to see this. Too bad he didn't think of filming some scenes in East End. Better yet, filming on the scenes of the Ripper crimes... How fascinating that would have been to see the places as they were at that time, even if he filmed them days or weeks later!

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 360
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jack,

Yes, one of history's great missed opportunities.

Stan

Adam Went
Inspector
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 349
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stanley,

Wow, very interesting. Thanks for posting that up!

I have a question for you, which you might know something about.
It's a long shot, but worth a try.

In the documentary "Jack The Ripper: The Whitechapel Murders" , in which Francis Tumblety is investigated as a suspect, and includes interviews with Stewart Evans and Paul Gainey, amongst others, right near the beginning of the docco, I remember seeing what looked like very, very old footage of a bridge with traffic and people crossing it. It only ran for no more than a couple of seconds, but as I said, it looked very, very old.

It's a long shot, but do you know if that is the same piece of footage, or am I way off target?

Regards,
Adam. :-)

"...Since then the idea has taken full possession of me, and everything fits in and dovetails so well that I cannot help feeling that this (George Chapman) is the man we struggled so hard to capture fifteen years ago..."

- Inspector Frederick Abberline, March 1903 interview, Pall Mall Gazette .
Hmmm.....

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 366
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam,

I didn't see that program but it sounds a lot like it. Like I said, you can go on to the IMDb site and get a link to actually watch the movie.

Best regards,

Stan

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 367
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

Too bad Met didn't get Le Prince to set up a surveillance cam outside of Millers Court.

Stan

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 351
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan,

I'll try and check out that IMDb clip later on, though I don't know if my slow old computer will have the capacity to view it properly!

As for the docco, it was on the History Channel a while back. Definitely worth checking out if you ever get the chance.

Regards,

"...Since then the idea has taken full possession of me, and everything fits in and dovetails so well that I cannot help feeling that this (George Chapman) is the man we struggled so hard to capture fifteen years ago..."

Hmmm.....

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 352
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mmmm....Infra-red surveillance cam outside MJK's place back in 1888, eh?
Well, if that was the technology back then, I'd like to know what our world would be like by now!! :-)
(Or maybe I wouldn't....)

Cheers,

Hmmm.....

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 368
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam,

I don't know how I missed it. Shall keep an eye out for a rerun.

Best regards,

Stan

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 353
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan,

Yes, watch out for it, they quite often repeat programs several times.

Just a tip, though - unless it's different where you are, the docco doesn't actually come up as just "Jack the Ripper: The Whitechapel Murders" when you're scrolling through channels, it comes under a different heading first. I can't remember what that was now, but I have a feeling it might have been "History's Mysteries".

Anyway, good luck with finding it! I hope you do!

Cheers,

Hmmm.....

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK Adam, will do.

Stan

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 6:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck again, Stan!
If I see it advertised or in the program guide again or something, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Hmmm.....

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 374
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Adam; I'd appreciate it.

I did see a JTR program, perhaps on the History Channel, that was called something like 'Jack the Ripper: The Phantom Fiend' which had some stuff in it on Tumblety. If that's the show that you're referring to, I don't remember seeing the 1888 Le Prince film in it.

Best wishes,

Stan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.