Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New Release Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Trial of Jack the Ripper (Macpherson, 2005) » New Release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3223
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a quick snippet of information on this forthcoming book. Euan has previously done extensive research on Bury, so its a fair guess that will be the subject of this one:

quote:

EUAN MACPHERSON shows, in The Trial of Jack the Ripper(Mainstream) that the infamous London serial killer was a Scot hanged for another murder in Dundee.

More info as it becomes available...
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3261
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

<I>
Mainstream is delighted to have acquired the rights to THE TRIAL OF JACK THE RIPPER - The Case of William Bury (1859-89). In this sensational and groundbreaking book, Euan Macpherson challenges all the myths that have built up around the mysterious figure of Jack the Ripper. In an astonishing piece of logical detective-work, he traces the accused to Dundee where a shocking and brutal murder took place. Could it be a coincidence that William Bury arrived in London before the start of the Jack the Ripper murders and left for Dundee around the same time that they ceased? Could it also be a coincidence that the murder in Dundee carried all the hallmarks of a 'ripper' murder? This book presents the evidence that the long arm of the law really did catch up with the notorious Jack the Ripper. And he was, in fact, tried, found guilty and hanged. Macpherson has written a number of publications for the UK and the US. World rights are available.</I>

(Message edited by admin on June 07, 2005)

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 3:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a cheek claiming originality in this book! Doesn't he realise that this suspect was quite extensively investigated in Bill Beadles excellent book 'Anatomy of a Myth'.

Unfortunatel this book is now quite rare so if you have a chance to get a copy - grab it!!

Bob Hinton

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3268
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 9:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob -

I wouldn't necessarily think that Euan himself wrote that summary - most often its the publisher who writes them, trying to find a unique angle to sell the book. They probably didn't even run it by him before releasing it.

It is fair to say, however, that Bury is indeed Euan's suspect. My books are in storage at the moment so I can't check for sure but I believe Euan was the first to "rediscover" Bury as a suspect as far back as 1986, when he penned an article on the subject. Unfortunately it took him nearly 20 years to publish his theory in book form, and so now it appears to the general public that he's just rehashing an old theory.

If anyone has their A-Z handy I seem to remember he has an entry in there which might provide more detail.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3269
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to update my above post - Euan Macpherson revived Bury's candidacy as the Ripper in an article published in Scot's Magazine in 1988.

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen

The entry for Euan Macpherson in the a-z reads:

"Researcher and theorist. Drew attention to W.H. Bury in 1986, and published an article on him in the Scots Magazine in 1988. His sensible and responsible choice of a suspect who had been identified by the New York Times in 1889, but thereafter virtually forgotten, makes us regret that McPherson has not produced the book length study which Bury's case seems to merit"

My copy of Bill Beadle's bok says it was published 1995.

Rgds
John

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2651
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 3:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill Beadle's 'Anatomy of a Myth' was published in 1995 by Wat Tyler Books

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 379
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 9:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sweet, so how can we buy this book?

Tom

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3270
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amazon UK should have it available in the 1st/2nd week of August according to the publisher...

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3284
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just an update, this book is now slated for release on 9 September.

David Burns
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 3:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi im the illlustrator for the book, i will give you more info on the book when i recieve my advance copy of it (Aug 18th).

David Knott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw it in Waterstones (for those in the UK) earlier this week.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.