Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

1907 film inspired by JTR? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Movies » 1907 film inspired by JTR? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stanley D. Reid
Sergeant
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings

Although it probably doesn't qualify as a true Ripper movie, the 1907 Edwin S. Porter film, "Jack the Kisser", surely was inspired by Jaunty Jackie at the very least as a parody in the title. Do you think there are any earlier productions that might have been influenced by our subject?

Regards,

Stan

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan
This would appear to be the case as I found this comment:
Jack the Kisser involves a considerably higher degree of narrative motivation, and yet simultaneously provides a wider variety of spectacles than can be found in its generic predecessors. I will also investigate the ways in which the film opens up men's ambivalent and problematic attitudes toward women in public spaces in a more overt and less monolithic way than in earlier films such as Personal and Meet Me at the Fountain. I will suggest that this is largely because Jack the Kisser is heavily informed by the 1888 `Jack the Ripper' murders - working both to reflect and deflect fears about modern(ist) sexuality dangers highlighted and heightened by those murders and the publicity surrounding them.

More about this at
http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/nmpft/film100/panel8d.htm

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are the details of a 1909 film that may be of interest as well:

Berlin Jack the Ripper

Release date: 18 October 1909
Duration in feet: 445 to 500
Production Company: Comerio
Distribution Company: Empire Film Co.

Stanley D. Reid
Sergeant
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Yes, I've done a little investigation into "Berlin Jack the Ripper" although, going only by the title, I mistakenly, at first, believed it to be German rather than Italian. Perhaps it's a proto-giallo film.

Thanks for the input.

Stan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.