Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

'ideal' JTR film Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » General Discussion » 'ideal' JTR film « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys,
you know this talk about a bbc drama staring Shane Ritchie (!!) has got me wondering what would our ideal JTR movie be like.

I always think my ideal JTR movie would have Robert Lees in it only briefly walking out the police station after being called a madman!

But that's not a very long film now is it!?

So anyway what do you guys think?

Jenni

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4077
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 1:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni

I'm just wondering whether to do the case justice a film would be too short. Perhaps a six part TV serial (but not, for Pete's sake, a soap opera).

I am not au fait with the film and TV world, but if Stephen Spielberg could direct it in the same manner that he did "Duel," and if they could find parts for Ron Moody somewhere, and for David Jason as Abberline, then that would be a start.

Robert

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 8:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No Ripper film would be worth doing without me in it.

I am the living embodiment of the late 19th Century pseudo-Dickensian squalor (well, George is). And as I'm a pro actor it is about time I should have more on telly than not winning The Weakest Link, not winning the competition on So Graham Norton (came close on both though!) and being thrown out of a pub by Dennis Waterman in The Canterbury Tales!

And now, Philip coming back to the real world...

I would just like to see people playing the parts who look and sound like the people we know about ('sound' is being generic - I am referring to a longing for some proper Apples & Pears Me Old Sparrah voices).

I'd like to see some really good naturalistic UNKNOWNS doing it. I like Robbie Coltrane, but Hagrid should never have been in The East End. Not after having seen him in drag in The Fruit Machine!

Failing that, we could have the cast of Hollyoaks doing it and then we could actually feel good as they get picked off one by one.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 3:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
how about JTR the musical!

David Jason - excellent choice!

Philip,

you like Hollyoaks then?!

Yes look like the people, that would be good.

and probably an unsatisfactory no idea who Jack is ending!!

Jenni

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4087
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 7:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know, let's make it a comedy. Philip can play a tour guide from 1888, leading puzzled police around London and showing them the sites. He'll be a great friend of Lees, and this will enable him to take Kelly on a tour, and point out to her the place where she'll be murdered. Jenni, how do you feel about singing "Only A Violet"?

Robert

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 7:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert - I pride myself on being the only Ripper guide who actually sings 'Only A Violet' for my tourists (not the whole 5 verses!) - before I get any charges of transvesticism, remember it was originally meant to be sung by a bloke!

Oh, what it would be to see London in 1888... I seriously wonder if I would be able to do a walk, seeing how much so much has changed. I think I'd be OK except for the part where I currently leave Bell Lane and go through Tenter Ground where there were previously houses (never mind, I could always walk up to White's Row). Am I rambling? Yes (no, you're walking...)

Jen - Yes, I love Hollyoaks. As much as I love (The) Spice Girls (and Charles and Godzilla). And there are already several musicals on Jack (and even a ballet). So NER!

A comedy on Jack. God, how weird. A big rubber knife...

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Phil Hill
Detective Sergeant
Username: Phil

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To me the "ideal" Ripper film would be a factual one - in a "police procedural" vein. It would focus on investigation as accurately as possible, and also feature the rivalries and politics of Scotland Yard and the Home Office, and dip into the East End as Abberline and his colleagues do. We would meet the witnesses and suspects as as the police do, and see the victims in flashbacks as the police put their stories together.

The culmination would be the frustration and lack of agreement among the police in not nailing "Jack",and perhaps a hint that there was a story that no-one was being told.

The style would aim to capture the period and background in detail - distrust of the police, Warren's attempted reforms, the Fenian angle, in a manner reminiscent of the TV series, The West Wing or Spooks, (busy multi-layered, complex, driven, but with an appropriate Victorian atmosphere and tone.

A short series (six episodes or two long ones) might be better to achieve this than a single feature film.

Phil

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil...
Its strange but I was thinking about something like what you just said today,but from the p.o.v. of the working folks ! Damn ! It sure would be a great undertaking.

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 7:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Style is everything for me. I loved From Hell just for the atmosphere it created.( I was watching Shakespeare in Love the other night and was thinking about how the money they put into it to try to get the atmosphere right made it so interesting for me in spite of the silly plot).

I'd like the movie to be as factual as possible and to really give the idea of what the place was like and especially what the people were like. I suppose that wouldn't be very commercial,though, would it?
Mags

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4103
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 8:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the issue of being commercial, I don't think there'd need to be an American actor playing Abberline or whatever. As long as a popular American actor played Tumblety, hopefully that would bring in US sales.

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 4:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

I like your idea. I'm thinking Will Farrell!

Jenni

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4106
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 4:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni, thanks. I'm thinking who he?

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 5:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I beg your pardon, Will Ferrell!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002071/

Elf

Jenni

Stef Kukla
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If only Bruce Robinson WERE writing that film...

Though I'm too young to portray JAMES Maybrick, I'd love to play MICHAEL----particularly if Charles Dance had the part of 'James'.

Whatja reckon?!

Amazing...the effect a tash & a hat can make

By the way, I SWEAR this photoshoot was 100% spontaneous!!!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.