Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Earliest audio recording concerning J... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Audio Recordings » Earliest audio recording concerning Jack The Ripper? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weird - I am just playing a 1920s 78 disc (REGAL G7066) I bought recently, a comedy sketch of the sort they often did supposedly talking on the telephone where everything is misheard. It's called COHEN IS ARRESTED FOR EXCEEDING THE SPEED LIMIT. It's terrible, and horribly un-PC, but I was amazed at one point he mentions Yom Kippur and says "No, not Jack The Ripper, Yom Kippur!". Could this be the earliest recorded mention of his name?

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 226
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil...
Maybe..and maybe not.

It may be the first account of a Jew with the pedal to the metal !

"Step on it Harry ! We're late for canasta...you know how The Feldmans kvetch !"

"Kvetch ? You want I should go 30 ? What do I look like ? That Henry Ford ? Just sit there in the back seat and make like a mannequin..oy,this woman !!"

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howie,

I love that rebuttal!

Oy vey!

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 6:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,
I do not know if this is the earliest mention of JTR on radio(circa 1920). But it is unusual to hear of a humourous treatment barely thirty years after the event.
I am interested in a related sub-text.
Does anyone know of a listing of early radio and television programmes about Jack The Ripper?
Probably more 1950's than 1920's.
I am specifically trying to discover if Colin Wilson and Dan Farson did radio talks on JTR in Britain. I know, in late 1959, Farson did his celebrated two-part T V programme on JTR for ITV.
Also, Colin Wilson was Farson's first T V guest for his T V interview show FARSONS GUIDE TO THE BRITISH.What date would that have been?
(Sorry, should I start a separate thread with this one?).

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 321
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 6:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John - without checking I think the Farson's GUIDE TO THE BRITISH was either 1956 or, more likely, 1959.

This is the thing that shocked me - I mean, I know the comedy discs of that era were always very uncomfortable (and I don't just mean bad - because they were!) in their treatment of racial minorities, but I was - as you say - pretty surprised to hear a comical mention of Jack The Ripper on such a disc. That would be like making a joke reference to Brady & Hindley on one today (that is taking into account sensibilities - a mention of someone like, say, Sutcliffe wouldn't have the same repellant value in line with the times).

I'll have to play it again and transcribe the relevant part onto the boards. I could upload an MP3 - but I don't know how you would be able to do that (probably not at all on the Message Boards - maybe I could e-mail it to Spry?).

Remember Orson Welles did his TALES FROM THE BLACK MUSEUM in the late 40s - early 50s and they definitely did one on the Ripper there (you can buy MP3 discs of the series on eBay cheaply), but they were all given fictional twists.

Anyone else got a view on the importance of my nasty little 78?

PHILIP

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil...
Distaste for a disc containing "jokes" about the two slimeballs Brady and Hindley would probably be still considered distasteful 1,000 years from now...they were child killers...Jack wasn't.
Just kidding here for a second..your little nasty 78 ? I thought you had a big 10 inch 78 !! Such a humble tour guide.....oy !

As to the MP3 suggestion..maybe thats something in the near future for a talented computer whiz to check out. Hint...hint.

(Message edited by howard on February 06, 2005)

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 326
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard - I wasn't trying to dumb down the Brady/Hindley reference. I deliberately chose them as the most reviled killers I can think of; it is the closest for repulsion in the modern day I can find for what must have been felt for Jack 30 years after the murders. As we are all so anaethetised to serial killers now, I can't really see many others having quite the same 'taboo' (again, no lightness intended here).

We won't go into the subject of my big 10 inches, but I'm glad to see my reputation is intact.

Anyways, I have to fly - some of us have to go out tour guiding in the East End tonight!

PHILIP

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4042
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 1:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip, you're right about Farson's Guide. The Times lists it as seemingly starting in July 59 and running well into 1960, given that the various regions weren't in synch with one another.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4043
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 2:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In fact, it's in the Casebook Timeline as being from 1959 - although the Timeline thinks it started in November.

Robert

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 280
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 8:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm confused! Can you elliborate (I think I just made that word up)

Bestest,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 281
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 8:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did! I made that word up! I think I meant elaborate!

Bestest,

Lyn (who has absolutely no clue!)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4044
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 3:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn, can who elaborate? And on what? Could you elaborate?

Robert

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn has been sending me e-mails about my big one. I don't think she has grasped what the subject is here. Look at the top of the thread, dear!

PHILIP
x

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

Lyn, can who elaborate? And on what? Could you elaborate?

'Fraid I haven't the foggiest, Robert! Was a tad hammered when I posted that last night, and truly can't remember why now!

I need to ease up on the Tetley, I know....

Lyn

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oooooooooooooooooh here you all are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right God knows what this is about will have alook later but dont ask Lyn to elaborate.........she will!!!!!!

He he

Suzi xx

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heh, heh, Suz!

You know me all too well!

Love,

Lyn

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oooooh God just had a quick scan here..........PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!..........lets not get into programmes that were or were not aired!!!...RE PREVIOUS THREADS.. I feel one coming on as I type!!! aaaagh!
Suzi..

Lindsey Millar
Inspector

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 7:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

Reading back a few posts, I think it was probably in reference to Philip's reference to his ten inches...

Since this isn't pub talk, I won't go any further..

Bestest,

Lyn

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 331
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erm... actually, folks, this thread was about a 78rpm disc I recently bought which dates to the 1920s and mentions Jack The Ripper briefly in a joke context. I was wondering if it was the earliest recorded audio reference to him.

PHILIP
(With no sense of humour)

PS : Big plops!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 4:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil
Oh god thats how it starts with people wondering!.....

Seriously (hmmmm) You may be right what does the line say?

Cheers

Suzi (humour???????wassat?)

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 333
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 6:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A man who knows (go figure...) has e-mailed me to say the earliest reference he knows of is 1912. Which is annoying. But then I am only guessing my disc is 1920s. These things weren't dated. So I'm going to try to find out.

Suzi - it's nothing amazing. He's pretending he's on the phone and being misheard and he says "No, not Jack The Ripper - Yom Kippur!".

Some cats arrived through my letterbox this morning.

I am going away for a few days, chaps, so I may be quiet!

PHILIP

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 7:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did some searching on Google today and I've narrowed it down - it's older than I thought. The disc dates from the first half of 1915!

PHILIP

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 8:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, Paul Begg's article in issue 54 of Ripperologist discussed Jack on Old Time Radio.

You can read it at http://www.casebook.org/dissertations/rip-oldtimeradio.html

Regards
Adam
Ripperologist magazine
www.ripperologist.info

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil! Whoo hooooo any luck!? Have a few days peace eh?

Adam
Thanks for that

Suzi

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 373
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've found the text to BRANSBY WILLIAMS 'THE CARETAKER' on-line. I have also found a copy for sale. Not cheap, but I may well go for it in time. If you want to read the text of the oldest known recorded mention of Jack, click :

http://www.monologues.co.uk/The_Caretaker.htm

PHILIP

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip

In regard to your ten inch, I will have you know that Liverpool was for some time famous for having the biggest organ in the world. This was in fact in St. George's Hall where Florence Maybrick's trial took place. The organ, which was built for the Crystal Palace exhibition in 1851 is going to undergo a restoration. It's said that at one point Queen Victoria visited and was going to touch the organ but was told off by the organ player who reputedly was thereafter denied a knighthood because of his perceived insult to Her Majesty. embarrassed

Best regards

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 780
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, sorry Phil. A man who knows... I'm presuming its the same man who knows the same things... played me that 1912 recording and it does indeed contain a performer talking about all the ghosts in Jack the Ripper's house.
"All I know of morality, I learned from football" - Albert Camus
Visit my website - http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 7:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan

If you don't know my source of 'The Man Who Knows' by now, you never will!

The ghosts in Jack The Ripper's house... now THAT I should use next time I deliver my paper on THE GHOSTS OF JACK THE RIPPER!

Chris - Queen Victoria never touched another organ after Albert died.

PHILIP

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George!
Oh really!!! info please!!!!!!
Suzi

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 388
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 6:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi - you are mad. MAD I tell you.

My dear nutcase, what is it you want info on? 'The man who knows', Ghosts of Jack The Ripper or Queen Victoria's penchant for large organs?

PHILIP

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.