Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Keyword Search on Sugden's Complete H... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Complete History of Jack the Ripper (Philip Sugden, 1995) » Keyword Search on Sugden's Complete History « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3204
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone -

If you refer to Sugden's Complete History on a regular basis (and if you're reading these boards, its a good bet you do), you'll probably agree that the one major flaw of the book is its somewhat paltry index.

Well, we've launched a new tool on the site that should help fix that problem. Starting today, you can now run keyword and phrase searches on the full text of Sugden's Complete History right from the Casebook. The engine will then return all page numbers and locations where your search query is found, along with short contextual abstracts for each match. It'll even tell you whether to look for your keyword near the top, middle or bottom of that page.

(Page numbers returned are valid for all editions of Sugden, though pages 472-480 are found only in the 1995 paperback).

Note, you MUST have a copy of Sugden for this to be of any value. You can not read the full-text online. This is just a tool to be used in conjunction with a hard-copy of the book.

There are bound to be some bugs in the system, so please let me know if you experience any difficulties.

The engine can be found at:
http://casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/non-fiction/jtrcomp.search.html
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 694
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 9:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How'd you do that? I bet an awful lot of work went into making this valuable tool. I'll be using it a lot and was just thumbing through the index only this morning.

Thanks,
Dave

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3205
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Dave -

Actually all the "heavy lifting" was done a while back just by scanning the book digitally and running text-recognition software on it. I've used a home-made digital version of Sugden (for private use only) for about 2 years, running keyword searches whenever I needed to scan quickly for a fact or tidbit.

For obvious copyright reasons I couldn't post the full-text to the site, so I figured this would be the next best thing. I actually got the idea for the search from Amazon.com, which now allows users to run keyword searches on the content of many of their books, displaying short extracts when matches are found. Google is also planning on doing this on a grand scale in conjunction with several large American libraries (which I suppose will make this redundant very soon!)

Anyhow, if you want to know the technology behind it, it all runs on a database backend which stores the content and runs algorithms to figure out where a keyword/phrase is found on a particular page. Its actually a pretty simple script ... its the grunt work (scanning and text-recognition) that takes the most effort.

This is sort of a test-case... if it turns out that this is something people have a need for, I may turn it towards other books in the future. I figured Sugden was as logical a book to start with as any.

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2853
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A great idea, Stephen. No doubt that will come in handy. I applaud this effort.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Paul Jackson
Inspector
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

So its kind of like a tour guide index. YOu know what the scary thing is.....If you gave me a topic or a name from that book, I could probably find it in less than 30 sec. Thats pretty scary! My Girlfriends thinks Im nuts....but its just such a good book that but its easy to remember where things are. But Im sure the new idea will be great for a lot of people. Thanks

Paul

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"(Page numbers returned are valid for all editions of Sugden, though pages 472-480 are found only in the 1995 paperback). "

Wow! What a wonderful tool! I've thought that something like that would be a great help in dealing with the Ripper letters, searching for common phrases or mispellings...

A question, as I have a later edition of The Sacred Text - what do p.472-480 in the '95 edition deal with?
Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3206
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert -

Pages 472-480 contain the "Addenda to the Second Edition". Obviously there wasn't such a thing in the 1st (1994) edition. In the 2002 paperback it was removed, and the "Introduction" was included (at the beginning of the book) instead.

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 4:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Stephen!
Another question, as I offered to scan D'Onston's Patristic Gospels for you...How the heck do you scan an old book without destroying it? It's an awfully fragile copy.

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3207
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert -

Unfortunately, its damn near impossible to scan extremely old/fragile books without causing some degree of damage to the originals.

That said, you may want to check with a local University library. There are special copiers/scanners made specifically for rare book departments which don't require you to lay the book flat while copying/scanning. They may be willing to help.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen

Thank you for making this wonderful resource available to us. Most appreciated!

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

Again, top move.

Just a query. Sugdens book is a fine book and I understand the reasons behind this move.....but....

...Would it be possible to do similar job on the Ultimate Sourcebook?

Or is Monty asking for Milk AND Honey?

Monty
:-)
"I tell you I didnt do it cos I wasnt there, so dont blame me it just isnt fair....now pass the blame and dont blame me..."- John Pizer

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,
it is great!

Monty,

give the bloke a chance!

Jenni
"All You Need Is Positivity"

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn,

Spry wouldnt want to rest on his laurels.....look what happened to Mr Banston. Pickle, sweet pickle, spicy Pickle, smooth pickle, rich and fruity (a bit like me).

Thats why nobodys heard of Mr Piccalilly anymore. One dimensional. This is because he didnt have anyone to drive him on..anyone to say "well done Tony, thats top stuff that...but why dont you progress onto other sauce/vegetables/fruit/vinegar based relishes and or condiments?, If you do you'll be rich I say....RICH !!!!!"

You gotta keep movin.

Here endith Montys lesson for today.

Monty
:-)

PS Besides, I was just asking !!!
"I thought we'd agreed, I thought we'd talked it out, Now when I try to speak, She says that I don't care, She says I'm unaware, And now she says I'm weak ."- Joe Barnett

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

I wasn't saying he should rest on his laurels, did i say that. nah! i just said give him a chance!

I mean Spry he said he would like to do it in the future, right?

I think the book you suggested is an excellent choice.

I guess there are also many ways to have pickle!
I wasn't having a go really - sorry

Jenni
"All You Need Is Positivity"

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,
I think finding useful work for others is an under appreciated managerial art form.

Personally, I'd love the ability to search all the alleged Ripper letters for common phrases, etc. I assume the letters are in the public domain now, no?

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3208
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, before I extend this functionality anywhere else I first need to make sure there are no copyright laws being broken. At first I thought it would be kosher but the more I think about it the more I wonder if this sort of thing might be frowned upon for books still under copyright.

Anyone happen to be a copyright attorney? :-)

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 704
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen,

I wish I was an attorney :-) I suggest you check with Mr. Sugden directly--I'm sure you know a few people who are in contact with him; maybe they would be willing to forward a message for you.

Cheers,
Dave

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3209
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To be on the safe side, I've temporarily removed this feature from the site. Sorry guys... didn't mean to be a tease. :-/

I'll check with the author/publisher to make sure this won't infringe on any copyrights, and with any luck I'll be able to put it back up once we've got confirmation.

As a sidenote, its actually pretty simple to digitize an entire book (as long as you're willing to tear it to shreds in the process). I would estimate a 500 page book would take about 4 hours to enter into this system - and most of that "work" is just waiting for the OCR to process. Which means, assuming I can nail down the proper permissions with the copyright holders, its quite feasible to expand this system to 5, 10 or even 100 Ripper books (not to mention Ripper magazines), all searchable at the same time from the same database. Now, that would be something!

So, the technology is there, and its reasonably simple to execute... its just a matter of securing the proper rights to release something along these lines, and making sure we don't step on any toes along the way.

MTR
Detective Sergeant
Username: Rigby

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this project killed then ?

Mike.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.