Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Idea for a JtR game - on here!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Games and Miscellany » Idea for a JtR game - on here!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I've noticed on this page there are several topics for board games, video games, etc, which are all great things, but I thought it would be interesting if we created our very own interactive game to play - from this site!

So, I have devised a game. Here goes:

In each game, there is a minimum of 5 players, and a maximum of 10 players.
We have 1 person to start off with playing Jack the Ripper, and 4-9 other people playing various women (the prostitutes.)

If we can find a decent map, we will use that. If not, I'll just draw one up. There will be blocks and streets, as in the real city. Each player in the game must draw on their map where exactly they want to place themselves each turn.

There is a co-ordinator in each game (in this first game, me) who will compare the maps from each player and then update everything. Each player will then receive an updated map.

The game works like this:

The aim for the women is to make it from the first street on the map, through a maze of blocks and streets, to the other end of the map without getting caught.

The aim for Jack the Ripper is obviously to catch as many of these women as possible. However, obviously the odds are against him, so when he catches a woman, the woman then turns into a second Jack the Ripper, and it goes on like that. We could end up with 8 Jack the Rippers and 1 woman, for example. But we start with just 1.

Jack and the women start on opposite sides of the map. Jack can only catch the women if he lands on the same block as one of them. If there is 2 or more women on 1 block, then he can't touch them.

Each turn, both Jack and the women can only move forward 1 street, but can move sideways to a different block on the same street as far as they want. The women can NOT move backwards, but Jack can.

The game is over when either all of the remaining women that haven't been caught by Jack make it to the end of the map, or Jack catches them all. If there is 4 women still alive, for example, and 2 make it to the end, the game is not over till the other 2 make it.

Jack must also mark his place on the map, so the women know where he is. Remember, the more women left as the game goes on, the more chance there is of them winning. And remember also, that each time a woman gets caught, she then transforms into another Jack the Ripper. But you can only get caught if Jack is on the same block, and there will be many blocks.

Rules of the game:

Not many rules are needed, but just a few basics:

1.) You can converse with your own team mates, but obviously no cheating on either part by sharing information of where you are going that could potentially get back to Jack.

2.) Men can play the women too, that doesn't matter. Women can play the part of Jack too, it really doesn't matter.

3.) Your maps must be returned within 1 week of them being sent out, to keep the game moving. If they're not, I will do them myself, and that may not be a favourable outcome.

4.) It's a simple matter of "The early bird gets the worm." Whoever takes the positions first gets them. And there can always be other games in the future if it is popular enough.

OK, I think I have explained everything.
I think it would be interesting to have a game like this where some teamwork is involved.

If you are interested in playing, please post back on here with your e-mail address and who you would like to play. If you don't want your e-mail to appear on here, then PM me. But obviously if Jack is already taken, for example, let's not have 5 people putting up their hands for Jack. There is up to 10 positions available, so we need some good participation here guys.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Regards,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.