Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

*Annoyed* "From Hell" - Who is that a... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Movies » *Annoyed* "From Hell" - Who is that actor? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 4:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

This has been bugging me for a few days now, and I'm hoping that someone can answer my question.

In the DVD version of "From Hell", there is 21 deleted scenes from the movie on it. One of them is set at the time of the Elizabeth Stride's killing scene. A policeman walks into the start of Dutfield's Yard, before Netley meets him, and he is then driven off by the Ripper (not chased, as in talked away.)

I could have sworn that I have seen the guy playing the policeman in something else before. And since he is in a deleted scene, I can't find his name listed amongst the credits anywhere.

So, for anyone who has seen that, can anyone tell me the name of the actor playing this policeman?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

thomas schachner
Sergeant
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 3:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi adam,

i have seen him before aswell, but don't recall his name.
anyways..here's a picture - maybe someone else can help.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam, Thomas,
now it is irritating ALL of us!!

Jenni
"I wanna really really really wanna zigazig ah"

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2564
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed, Jennifer.
I wonder if I'll ever sleep tonight now.
The worst of all is, I actually think I recognize him from somewhere too on the screen. Looks like a rather young chap, though.

Nice picture there, Thomas.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Nina Thomas
Inspector
Username: Nina

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 7:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam,Thomas,Jenni,Glenn,

List of of constables "From Hell" DVD
I have no idea which of the six he is.

Nicholas McGaughey ... Officer Bolt
Danny Midwinter ... Constable Withers
Steve John Shepherd ... Special Branch Constable
Gary Powell ... Constable #1
Steve Chaplin ... Constable #2
Dominic Cooper ... Constable #3

Nina

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2567
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Nina.

None of the actors' names ring a bell, I am afraid.
Unless the constable is named in that particular scene, I'd say it's one of the four excluding Officer Bolt and the Special Branch Constable.

So that would leave Midwinter, Powell, Chaplin (sic!) and Cooper.
Any ideas?

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 7:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

None of them ring a bell with me either. Thanks for bringing the list down to four. Someone out there must know!

Nina

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 7:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again, Nina.

I also noted on the photo, that there's an "H" on his collar -- maybe referring to the H Division...?
Well, not that it helps, I guess... but nevertheless...

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

His name is Dominic Cooper.He has appeared in several West End Plays including one I saw-Midsummer Nights Dream in which he played Puck.
Pretty sure its him.
Best Natalie

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2570
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 7:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Natalie. Adam will be pleased.
And I can sleep tonight. :-)

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Glenn he has quite turned the heads of many young girls already----so YOU may be able to sleep but they sleep"perchance to dream"----
Sleep well Glenn-Night Night-I"m off too!
Nats

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nats,

Thank you so much I've been searching all night. Once I get something in my mind I just can't quit.

Dominic Cooper

25 year old Dominic attended Thomas Tallis School in Kidbrooke, where one of his acting roles was was that of the Emcee in a performance of 'Cabaret'. Dominic then went on to train at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts.
Film
Breakfast On Pluto...Disco Squaddie
From Hell....Constable #3
Boudica....Foot Soldier
I'll Be There (also known as Family Business)....Boyfriend
Anazapta....Clerk
The Final Curtain....Young Priest
TV
Down to Earth....Danny Wood
Sparkling Cyanide....Andy Hoffman
The Gentleman Thief....PC Merryfield
The Infinate Worlds of H.G Wells....Sidney Davidson
Band of Brothers....Allington
Theatre at the National Theatre, London
Mother Clap's Molly House....Thomas/Josh
His Dark Materials....Will Parry
The History Boys....Dakin
Other Theatre
A Midsummer Night's Dream (for the RSC)....Puck
Caryl Churchill Events (at The Royal Court)....Man

Now I can get some sleep too.
Nina

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 6:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers Nina!
Glad I was of use! I dare not say who[on here]but one of my family found him very exciting indeed!He is very cute I must admit!
Hope that Adam can now get some sleep-things like that bug me too-its half the attraction of this site-I need to know who it was!
Take Care
Nats

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 6:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you again Nina and Natalie!
Adam is pleased. I know what you mean about something bugging you - I can't sleep anyway until I have my daily rant at Glenn about the difference between Abberline and Swanson.

Now I remember seeing Dominic in "Band of Brothers", which was excellent (And was a series of several long parts, IIRC).

Thanks again all!

Cheers,
Adam.
*Bowes down to you all*
The Wenty-icator!

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nothing escapes our intrepid sleuths! Good work, Natalie and Nina! applaud

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Julian Sark
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 7:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!
we would just like to add that johnny depp is beautiful. that is all. thankyou.

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it helps anyone I don't recognise that guy at all.

P.S. I like the sound of you Julian.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.