Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Mary Jane Kelly (Chauvet, 2002) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Mary Jane Kelly (Chauvet, 2002) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3174
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MARY JANE KELLY: La dernière victime
Didier Chauvet

Avec cette première biographie de Mary Jane kelly, jeune et jolie prostituée irlandaise à la personnalité si attachante qui fut la dernière victime de Jack l'Eventreur, l'auteur nous replonge au cœur du Londres de la fin du 19e siècle, et dresse un portrait sans fard des mœurs, des soubresauts de l'époque, des conditions de vie inhumaines des déshérités de l'East End, ces quartiers maudits dans lesquels Jack l'Eventreur va frapper en 1888.

ISBN : 2-7475-2524-4 • juin 2002 • 90 pages

Prix éditeur : 9,5 € / 62 FF

As best as I can tell, this is a non-fiction biography of Mary Kelly. My copy is in the post - will put up more details once I've actually seen the real thing.

Available for purchase from the publisher at:
http://www.harmattan.fr/index.asp?navig=catalogue&obj=livre&no=10806

Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It will be very interesting to see where the author got his "facts" about the slippery Ms. Kelly.
Mags

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Spry and Maria

Thanks, Spry, for this. As I read the French blurb, with my admittedly incomplete knowledge of the language, it sounds as if the author Monsieur Didier Chauvet will be focusing to a large degree on the social conditions among the "unfortunates" and the East End generally. This might have enabled him to generate a book-length manuscript by supplementing the meager facts on MJK with material on the prostitutes and others in the grim streets of the East End.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3178
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris -

You're spot on in terms of the translation of the blurb. We'll see whether Monsieur Chauvet takes a stab at identifying Mary, or if he focuses more on the general conditions Mary would have faced during her time in Whitechapel.

Either way I'm surprised this book escaped our notice, considering its been on the market now for nearly two and a half years!

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3179
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS: The back cover of the book tells us Monsieur Chauvet was born in 1966 in Bordeaux, and he currently works at the Mérignac library. "This book is the fruit of many months of labor exploring the word of Mary Kelly."

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a quick translation of the "blurb":
Mary Jane Kelly - The Last Victim
Didier Chauvet

With this, the first biography of Mary Jane Kelly, the young, pretty and endearing Irish prostitute who was the last victim of Jack the Ripper, the author immerses us in the heart of late 19th century London, and creates a portrait which includes the customs, the upheavals of the period, the inhuman living conditions of the disinherited of the East End, those accursed districts in which Jack the Ripper would strike in 1888.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris and Spry

I find it interesting the Neal Sheldon, who has produced fine monographs on certain of the victims, has held off from doing a biography of Mary Jane Kelly, and apparently, from what I understand, does not plan to do one. Neal, please correct me if I am wrong.

To some extent, given the realities of Ripper publishing, it is surprising that someone has not before now published such a book, although from all the unknowns about Mary Jane's early life, it is not in the least surprising.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Chris, it does sound like MJK's going to be just the starting point for a discussion of the Abyss.
Mags

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris
Oddly enough I am working on a publication at the moment entitled "Will the Real Mary Kelly...?"
This is NOT a biography of Kelly, as I am convinced that in the current state of knowledge this is simply not possible. Rather, it goes into as much detail as possible on all the claims made by Barnett and others regarding Kelly's background and examines various possible claimants to be kelly and puts the case for and against.
All the best
Chris

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Indeed, I do think there is room for such a book as you have described that you are working on, examining all of the stories surrounding Mary Jane Kelly. Good luck with it, Chris. You might want to reference some of the wilder theories such as those expounded by Des McKenna in Ripperologist and Ripper Notes.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris (Scott)-- what a great idea. Are you also going to address the preponderence of Kellys in this case?
Mags

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Having most of the Ripper Notes and, now, ALL of the Rips, I've had the chance to read Des McKenna's articles, 90% of which are crap. I would recommend avoiding them like the plague! As for this book, it's not exactly a "book-length" manuscript. It's only 90 pages.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Neal Stubbings
Inspector
Username: Neal

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,
You're completely right, I've never found anything out about Mary Jane Kelly's life story so I wouldn't consider writing a publication about her. I wouldn't even consider Elizabeth Stride, and have given up all thought of publishing one on Nichols, but compared to Kelly there is a reasonable amount of information on their lives that can be read on this site and in books.

It would be good to read a thoroughly researched book that produces new and accurate details about Mary Jane Kelly's life. But when or if it will ever happen??

All the best
Neal

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3189
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mary Jane Kelly: La derniere victime
Didier Chauvet
Harmattan, 2002. French.
Softcover, 90pp. Bib.

In this short little book, Didier Chauvet (a librarian from Bordeaux) provides a quick but excellent overview of the generally-known facts surrounding the life of Mary Jane Kelly. Researchers have yet to locate the real Mary Kelly in census and birth records (though several putative Mary's have been found), but Chauvet presents the 'facts' of Kelly's life as given at her inquest and in police testimony.

A quick overview of East End social conditions begins the book, followed by Mary's 'biography' and an extensive look at the general facts surrounding her murder. Then a quick overview of the canonical Ripper murders (or, as Chauvet calls it, "The 71 Days of Terror") ends the book. Interspersed between the chapters are short poetic vignettes about Mary, written by the author.

Why a French book on Mary Kelly? I'm not sure. I'd hoped there would be some snippets of new information, possibly on the time she allegedly spent in France prior to settling in the East End. But alas, that wasn't the case.

There is no new information here, and Francophones would get a much greater overview of all aspects of the case from the writings of Stephane Bourgoine, but there is a certain quaintness and empathetic tone in this little book which makes it worthwhile reading. It is clear from both his prose and his poetry that Chauvet was deeply moved by Mary's story, and his enthusiasm shines through on every page. Again, nothing new, but an enjoyable read all the same.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.