Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Murder By Decree Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Movies » Murder By Decree « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andy Pandy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 9:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh come on. 'Murder by decree' is THE single best film ever of the Ripper Murders. Dark, menacing, heroic and tragic. James Mason complaining about his pea being squashed... what more could you want? I only live a few miles away from where it all happened! I've wandered the streets and seen the places. When I see that film, I feel as if I was there. Never felt the same with any other film.

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too like this film - which is a good Sherlock Holmes story too (much better, in my humble opinion, than From Hell or the Michael Caine film which have the same denoument). I could never understand, though, why Gull becomes Spivvey though.

It was an imaginative way of filming the Knight book, and has loads of atmosphere and a strong cast. That said, a little more effort to get the details right (for instance, the look of the East End) would have been appreciated.

Phil

Throb
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe Gull became Spivvey for a legal reason or maybe because it made for a good story but the producers did not want to name an actual person so changed the name.

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 402
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the original Shooting script Gull and Netley retained there original names. The most interesting change was that Inspector Foxborough was originally supposed to be Inspector Abberline. The original shooting script is available on the region 1 dvd in pdf format.

Rob

Holger Haase
Sergeant
Username: Holger

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 5:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally saw that movie yesterday. No idea why I never caught it before although I am both a Holmes and Ripper buff.

It *is* a great movie and deserves all the praise it got over the last two or three decades, however, I did find the name changes quite annoying.

I also hoped that Holmes would be doing some more deducting. Holmes ends up the one following up on psychic leads much to Watson's chagrin. Also: Much maligned as it is, FROM HELL actually makes more sense when it comes to the whole royal child sub plot, something that is shamefully ignored in MURDER BY DECREE, e.g. we never really find out where the child really ended up.

Mind you Plummer and Mason (nice last name given the topic, eh) are giving excellent performances!

Holger

Gundy Plucker
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Hell is the most accurate film

Trishymouse
Police Constable
Username: Trishymouse

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably the most accurate, but I do love MURDER BY DECREE - great show!

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 515
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just managed to get Murder By Decree.

Totally loved every moment of it. The acting was superb, Mason and Plummer worked so well together that they made the ludicrous plot almost believable. I agree the name changes were annoying, but I can see perhaps why they did it,

I know the streets scenes were inaccurate, but the whole atmosphere was first rate. There were some genuinely touching and great moments in it. Watson's endearing bumbling was a winner.

Definitely the best Ripper movie. A good few stars for trying so hard to get it right, even though they did fail rather dismally at times.

Highly recommended.

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Murder by Decree is certainly not the most accurate Ripper film and I've seen most of them including two from the silent era. It might be the best but in a field of the mediocre what's that worth?

Best wishes,

Stan

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 516
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stanley,

Sadly that is totally true..........I suppose at the end of it a truly accurate film would not be that entertaining.

The problems in making it hang together would be insurmountable.......and it would probably end up a tangled mass of snapshots.

It would be really interesting though to see someone tackle one that was intent of getting it as close as possible to the reality. I can't see it ever happening though.

I just took Murder By Decree for what it was, a well made, well acted bit of hokum that left me feeling mostly satisfied.

But if anyone had a few million spare and wanted to make a new version I would be happy to design the sets!

Jane

xxxxxx

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 249
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 5:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

I might be an exception but I think I'd be entertained by an "accurate film" and like you I wish someone would at least try it once; who knows!?

If you want to throw accuracy out of the window, I'd rank The Lodger(1926), Die Buchse der Pandora and The Lodger (1944) as my favorites along with Murder by Decree.

All the best,

Stan

Eddie Derrico
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stanley

I agree. The lodger was a good scary Ripper Movie. The only thing they goofed on was having dancers murdered instead of prostitutes. If my memory serves me well.

Yours Truly

Eddie

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eddie,

Yes, like I said, I was throwing accuracy out of the window.

The 1988 film was probably the most accurate, which isn't saying much. It had a very dumb ending in my view.

Best wishes,

Stan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.