Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

London Correspondence Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » General Discussion » London Correspondence « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 659
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

I sent Ripperologist and Ripper Notes updates on the book front but I notice the new Rip which arrived today still says "not much information at present" so they must not have got it in time for going to press. So I thought I would post an update here.

The book, London Correspondence: Jack the Ripper & the Irish Press, is due for publishing in February. It's currently with the editor and I'm waiting for his suggestions for amendments etc before locking down a final draft. The publishers are the Ashfield Press. They are based in Ireland and as yet I only have an Irish distribution deal so I don't know if it will be in UK or US bookshops (although I am looking for distributors in both areas) but it will be available through Amazon and all other usual online book outlets. Also I'm planning to set up a site to sell it myself (cos that way I get to keep the bookseller's cut as well as the author's!) To entice you to use this method, all books ordered through my own site will be signed!

Anyway, I will keep you informed and send Stephen the cover art as soon as it is done. I also don't have a price as yet, but it's coming out directly in paperback so I imagine it will be around a tenner or so.

Cheers all!
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 417
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations and best of luck, Alan.

Dave

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 932
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan

Excellent news. Thanks for the update. We will certainly include the updated information on the release of your book in the November issue of Ripperologist, on which we are now working.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3045
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 2:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations Alan. Hopefully the book will also boost Kelly research in Ireland.

Robert

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 8:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan,

I look forward to ordering your book (through your own site, of course!), but please tell us a little more about the book, and what its contents pertain to aside from the obvious.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 9:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

REVIEW - 'London Correspondence: Jack the Ripper & the Irish Press' by Alan Sharp.

I can't recommend this book enough. Alan has scoured virtually all of the Irish newspapers throughout the period of the murders and provided a truly fresh, unique angle to the crimes. Primarily, the book discusses how the Irish press used the murders as a propagandist tool to further their own political agendas (I guess the Irish hate the English). It helps if you have a working knowledge of the issues between Ireland and England because I - who does not have such a working knowledge - was a bit confused by this part of it. As for the Ripper crimes, some of the Irish papers had their own correspondents in London at the time who were writing exclusive reports for them, so here you have reports - and details - you won't find anywhere else, including one reporter who apparently witnessed Polly Nichols's corpse first hand AND accompanied the inquest jury in a tour of Mary Kelly's room. For readers who are tired of reading the same descriptions, book after book, this work by Alan Sharp will be a breath of fresh air. Definitely one of the best and most important Ripper books to come out in some time, and also very well written (apparently Sharp conceived, wrote, and saw the book published all in one year, which kind of makes slower folks like me wanna kick his azz, but since his book is so good, I won't). My copy also came personally autographed, since I ordered through him, so I recommend you do the same. Again, you're not a serious reader/researcher into the Ripper case if you don't buy this book.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 4:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Tom. The cheque is in the post!

Seriously, I have of course been a nervous wreck waiting to hear what people think of my work, so it is very nice to get such positive feedback.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" - Hunter S. Thompson (1939-2005)
Visit my website - http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.