Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jack the Ripper -Spanish book (1911)... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » General Discussion » Jack the Ripper -Spanish book (1911) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found a listing at the British Library for a Spanish language book published in 1911 by an author named José Antonio Campos. I have searched the Casebook site and have not found a mention of it. The info from the British Library site reads as follows:

Integrated Catalogue - Holdings

CAMPOS, Jose´ Antonio.:
Jack the Ripper. Rayos cato´dicos y fuegos fatuos ... Segunda edicio´n corregida e´ ilustrada. [With plates.].
2 tom. Guayaquil, 1911..
8º..

To decipher this a little:
The title is odd - literally translated it means "Jack the Ripper: Cathode Rays and Will o' the Wisps." I have no idea what this means as far as the content is concerned.
The next line simply means - Second edition, corrected and illustated.

The next line says the book was published in 2 volumes at Guayaquil in 1911.

I assume that the last entry means "octavo" and refers to the paper size, but that is only a guess.

Does any one know anything about this oddly titled book please?

Chris

(Message edited by Chris on September 12, 2004)

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 408
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris

Perhaps Eduardo Zinna might be one to ask?

Dave

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant
Username: Howard

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris:
Here is a URL, en Espanol, for a fan of J.A.Campos http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/1155/jacampos.htm

I will send you the person's e-mail address. Perhaps he knows more about the writer.

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From my reading of an imperfect computer translation, this was simply an Ecuadorian journalist who chose Jack the Ripper as a pseudonym and wrote about everything that journalists would normally write about and not anything about the actual Whitechapel Murders. The book in question appears to be a collection of his essays on everything under the sun.

Click for Google translation in new window.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Howard and Dan
That is very useful information and prevents wasted time on research
Very much appreciated
Chris

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everybody,

Dan Nerder is right. I actually went through Campos's book at the National Library in Quito, Ecuador, several years ago. No connexion with the Ripper except for Campos's nom de plume.

Cheers,
Eduardo

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.