Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The ripper (1997) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Movies » The ripper (1997) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 906
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi this film is on next wed 8th of sept at 12 midnight on ITV1 UK TV

i think they are the correct details
premier!!
Jenni
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 884
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jennifer

If it is the movie I think it is, I reviewed the 1997 Australian TV movie "The Ripper" starring Patrick Bergin as Inspector Jim Hansen for Ripper Notes some years back. Unfortunately, I found the flick to be a pretty dire effort, hammily acted and with many of the old clichés. Don't expect much.

I won't be a spoiler, though, if you want to approach it with an open mind. Let me mention a couple of howlers to be seen, however, just for fun. At one point, they show a shot of Tower Bridge. . . The bridge was not built until 1894. And check out the evidently 1930's to 1940's steamship at the end of the show.

Jen, the movie has been rated on that useful site, the Internet Movie Database, if you want to learn more about the movie before delving into those dank alleyways looking for Jack. . . laugh

All the best

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 920
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,
I'm just the messenger. I can reveal a total of two stars in the tv listings mag (thats three whole stars less than the blob got!)

I like to watch all these films when I get a chance mainly to shout a lot at the screen.

Yes it is that one you say staring Patrick Bergin.

I bet come weds i forget it is a whole week away!!

Jenni

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni
Spose it may be worth setting the vid for so we can have something to grumble at!
Cheers
Suzi

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 950
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 5:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonight, this is on,

thats all

Jenni

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 4:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, how cr*p was that. I fell asleep half way through. My complaints and questions (due to my falling asleep):-

1) They seem to have completely forgotton about Polly Nichols's completely.

2) How on earth was Annie Chapman's body spotted by a man with a horse and cart when her body was in an enclosed backyard?

3) They actually showed Prince Albert Victor doing the murders!!

4) Who on earth was that Miss Lewis? (I actually want to know this as I fell asleep. Was she important?)

5) This Miss Lewis, was her prostitute friend Mary Kelly? (Yup, a real question as I fell asleep)

6) Miss Lewis (can't remember what her first name was) was the one who interrupted the killing of Liz Stride (who wasn't being killed in a yard by the way).

7) When Inspector Hansen was showing Miss Lewis some photos he showed her the Mary Kelly murder when that hadn't even happened yet.

8) I'm also sure that one of the policemen were Australian trying very hard to be an eastender.

Ok, I'm sure there are more but can't remember off hand. I did not like this film at all as you can probably tell and I think "From Hell" was much better, I mean at least they had most of the facts down whether their Jack the Ripper was part of a conspiracy of not.

I'm surprised this film even got two stars.

Sarah
Smile and the world will wonder what you've been up to
Smile too much and the world will guess

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 961
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 4:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,
i havent watched it yet but ive videoed it hopefully, so i'll let you know!

Jenni

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 5:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

something went wrong there oh well!

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

You watched it yet? Your comments?

Sarah

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 968
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,
my video went wrong!!!!!

Jenni

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

Oh well, it saved you from a horrible Ripper film at least.

Sarah

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 898
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Sarah

I did try to warn you. blush

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Howard Brown
Detective Sergeant
Username: Howard

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 8:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ms. Long and Jenn:
I saw the movie too.
Bergin was pretty good in the film,Mountains Of The Moon, a film about the Speke-Burton expedition to find the source of the Nile River { somewhere in Northeast Philly,I believe...}.
Its a pretty decent flick...Bergin plays Sir Richard Francis Burton,who was actually second to Speke on the expedition....

Carl Burrows
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 8:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer,
I watched this film last night and thought it was really bad,the acting was really hammy and used so many cliches and half truths ( the shiny coins next to the victims)I'm not quite sure what it was trying to be.Its suprising how many ripper based films have been made ( some here )
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/search/movie.php?search=the+ripper&searchby=movies

you might be suprised to know theres a film called Jill the Ripper starring Dolph Lungren, although I dont its about the 1888 Jill suspect.
I think the whole Royal/masonic angle has been done to death on the big screen and I think there are more credible and intersting suspects who could be used as subject matter.
Although I dont personally subscribe to them as being the Ripper, suspects such as D'onston, based around a black magic theme would make an interesting film, or perhaps Tumbelty covering his early exploits in America.

Nick Cook
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 7:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They started construction of the tower bridge in 1886, it took 8 years to complete so was completed in 1894. Depends how much of it was constructed 2 years into construction in 1888, i doubt it was anywhere near looking finished though.

Eric J. Matatics
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 8:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaking of the Ripper in the media, people should check out the 1972 "thriller," Terror in the Wax Museum, which features a wax figure of Jack that, during various dream sequences, "comes alive." Jack wears the typical top hat, etc. It's a silly flick, but if caught in the proper mood, it can be mildly fun.

The film seems to be geared for the twelve-or-younger set, yet stars an elderly cast including Ray Milland, Elsa Lanchester, and John Carradine.

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah
I stayed up to watch this cr*p too, but I wish I'd had the good sense to fall asleep like you!
I think it was supposed to be a work of fiction based 'loosely' around the murders.
I think Florrie Lewis was supposed to be based on Mary Kelly ( she was living alone in a downstairs room in a small court and was Irish?), although in this film she survived the Ripper and sailed off to America with the detective in charge of the case.
The funniest part was that the detective managed to identify Albert Victor as the Ripper because he smelt of apricots ( something to do with his syphillis treatment!)
I cringed all the way through it, hoping it would get better.
I wish someone would make a film that centred around the lives of the victims and less daft half baked theories
I wonder when there will be a film with Maybrick as the ripper.
Debra ( feeling a bit tired after wasting my beauty sleep)}

James Jeffrey Paul
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought that Sam West was excellent as Prince Eddy, though--he was so frightened, vulnerable, and mad!

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was on again the other night and i managed to see it.

Its the weirdest thing ever.

I liked the bit where he burnt the horse (wtf!!).

I was guessing all the way through the the killer might be (NOT!)

Jenni

ps well I'll just have to tape over it then!
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my momma taught me better than that."

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 841
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gabrielle Anwar's talents are totally wasted in this.

(She has talents, I swear.)
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which one was she then?

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 842
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The potential Ripper victim/lower class female/investigating officer love interest.

Funny how that's a common role in these things.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2857
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see i think her name was Florrie

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 276
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love it when you talk dirty Jenni. Actually, I didn't think the film was all that bad save the tired old silly ending. When it comes to movies about JTR, two stars puts it near the head of the field.

Goodies,

Stan

(Message edited by Sreid on August 21, 2005)

Gareth W
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Dan about Ms Anwar's talents - both hers and Samuel West's excellent performances were what made this concoction tolerable for me. Credit is also due for the depiction of life in the East End - more authentically reconstructed here than in "From Hell", for instance.

Unexpected bonus point for having "Jack" (aka Sam West as the Prince) torching his horse alive. It's not uncommon for psychopaths to be cruel to animals, so if this was a deliberate touch (rather than merely gratuitous horror) then it carried some degree of psychological insight.

Bergin's accent was dreadful which only served to highlight the lumpen dialogue given to him and most of the others.

What annoys me is that, even if the script-writers needed to invent characters like Mary's friend, Florrie Lewis (Anwar), even if they changed Abberline's name completely, why do they also feel compelled to distort *utterly* the sequence of events otherwise? Surely there's enough interesting material in the simple facts, even if you then go on to hang a "Royal Conspiracy" plot around them.

By the way, Jenny, not only was her name "Florrie" but she worked in a cotton mill!

Come to think of it, were there any cotton mills within walking distance of Dorset St anyway...?

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Chief Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 707
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 5:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jen

I saw the film a long time ago and took it for what it was. A commercial attempt to attract an audience based on what the producers thought would fill the seats during that time period, with acting, a script and special effects to match. Nevertheless, it was about "Jacky" so why not watch the thing, errors and all.

All The Best
Gary

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2866
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 6:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sat down to watch it with my family, and even they did not like it.

It had a twist at the beginning

Jenni

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.