Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Issue #19 - July 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripper Notes » Issue #19 - July 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The next issue of Ripper Notes is currently off to the press. This is my first time using this printing company, so we'll see how smoothly the process goes. They are supposed to be very highly regarded though.

You might have seen preliminary version of the cover before, but here's the final:

Ripper Notes #19 - July 2004 cover

It's a totally new format, with a slightly reduced width and height but greatly increased page count. It's kind of more professional journal size, assuming the ones I remember seeing are the ones you picture when you hear that.

The star attraction this time around is Wolf Vanderlinden's article with more information on the Carrie Brown case. It is not only very in-depth but also profusely illustrated. Here are a couple of sample page spreads:

CB article page sample 1 CB article page sample 2

There are also articles by John Hacker, Stan Russo, Thomas C. Wescott and Howard Brown; a new column by Jennifer Pegg; News & Notes; book reviews; and some devious little word puzzles in the back.

Oh, yeah, and a recently rediscovered 1892 interview with Dr. Robert Anderson. 1892... Hey, isn't that after Aaron Kosminski was locked up in an asylum but a long time before Anderson's autobiography? That means... Well, it could mean lots of things, so you probably want to see this.

Once the press approves the files, sends the proof and is all ready to go, I have to know how many issues to have printed up. If you haven't subscribed yet, there's still a little bit of time. If you want to guarantee an issue, go to the Ripper Notes web site to pay by credit card or click my name in the signature to email me and let me know that you're mailing check/money order/cash.

(Oh, and Stephen, your email is bouncing, so I can't get the sample article and other files to you...)

(Message edited by dannorder on July 09, 2004)

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Dan Norder
Inspector

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update:

I got a proof copy of the issue today. It looks better than I hoped. I got a rush order in for the full print run (subscriber, contributor, editorial and publicity copies), so people should be getting them probably in another week or so.

(Oh, and by the way, if you see it listed on Amazon.com and so ofrth, the pic they'll probably have of the cover is way, way darker than the actual magazine is. I was kind of freaking when I saw it thinking that they botched the colors on the printing, but it's all good.)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,
glad to hear it.
Jennifer
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 805
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Dan

Looks as if Ripper Notes is going to make an impressive reappearance under your editorship. Congratulations! Makes me want to get off to you the contributions to RN I have told you I want to make. Hope to find the time to do so soon. dogrun

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

W. Vdlinden
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All.

I see where Dan has stated that part three of my Carrie Brown article will be the “star attraction” of the latest Ripper Notes issue. Dan is being kind I think. And if by in-depth he means long winded I have to agree. In actual fact I was forced to edit a much longer piece down to a more manageable, and publishable, size.

What to expect from part three? First it is the logical extension of the earlier parts i.e. part one looked at the victim and the murder; part two looked at the police investigation and part three will look at the suspects. Twelve of them.

Notables include Ameer Ben Ali, where we look at the inquest and trial; George Chapman, where evidence is presented pointing to when he actually arrived in New York; Arbie La Bruckman, the first critical look at his candidacy of being either Carrie Brown’s murderer and/or Jack the Ripper, and others, some of which are in Stephen’s list of suspects we should have more research on such as Charles Holland.

To those of you who are subscribers to Ripper Notes:- I hope you enjoy it.

Wolf.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 570
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wolf,
i'm sure your just being modest.
Personally I am looking forward to your article I hear it is a good one.
Jennifer

Thomas C. Wescott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

The cover looks great, and the layout of Wolf's piece is fantabulous. The content is certain not to disappoint, as well. Though I don't see any real correlation between the Brown murder and the Ripper, it's an interesting saga in its own right. Sorry to hear you ran out of viable contributions and had to run filler from that Wescott chap, but hey, you're just getting started.
A column from Jennifer Pegg? Are you two dating or something?
An undiscovered, long lost interview with Anderson? And Vanderlinden still gets the top spot? Hats off to Wolf!!!! Maybe it's just the cool name. :-)
I can't wait to get the issue (on its way to us this week!!!) and review it for the Casebook. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're not subscribing to Ripper Notes, you're just a pedestrian on these Whitechapel streets, watching your step for the horse dookey while us RNers are barreling down the cobblestones, Netley-style, in our Royal coach. Snoogins.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Dan Norder
Inspector

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, actually, the Anderson bit is the first article, so in that sense it has the top spot, but it's only a few pages long and the editorial comments at the beginning aren't quite the fully detailed analysis I'm sure other authors could come up with -- and probably will in the future.

Wolf's article gets star billing because of the stunning amount of research and the wide ground it covers. The endnotes and sources cited at the end are longer than most articles. That level of Ripper scholarly power is bound to get attention.

And I'm sure I'd have a heck of a lot fewer contributors if dating me was a prerequisite to getting an article or column printed. I don't even think I'd contribute any of my own writing with those kinds of conditions...

Yeah, I mailed out the first batch of issues today from the pile I could get addressed and ready to the post office before it closed. The rest should go out Wednesday. I don't have an ETA on how long it will take to get to everyone, since this is still my first time handling it all. The guy at the post office wasn't too thrilled with the stack I brought in today, they may just go postal when they see the boxes I bring in tomorrow.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 580
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,
not last time I checked!

cheers
Jennifer

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 631
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonder how long it's going to take to go trans-atlantic. Looking forward to Wolf's article, if it is as good as the first two parts it should be a great read.

Dan, having now finished and sent off the piece I was working on for Ripperologist I am starting something for your next issue as promised. My email address has now changed so if you need to contact me please use the mail thing on my profile page.
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Thomas C. Wescott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

Thanks for that. Just wetting my appetite for the new issue. I've always enjoyed Wolf's work. So, you're not dating Jennifer? Cool, then you won't mind if I move in for the kill.

(sprays a shot of bitter, burning, Binaca into mouth) So, Jennifer, what's a girl like you doing on a message board like this? :-)

Yours truly,

Tom the Zipper Ripper

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

Whats this ? You 2 timing me ??

You mail me, asking me out for a coffee on the 4th...then I find out Norder has lured you with a promise of a column (no ennuendo, honest !) and then I catch you being chatted up by Westcott whose line seem to have been stolen from some seedy Dutch filthy film.

I guess I cannot compete with such exotic masculine bravado.

Monty
:-)

No, you cant have one extra on the leg side...but you can have five !

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 607
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,
There was me trying not to draw attention to this!
Honestly, give me a break man!
I do wonder what I'm doing on a message board like this sometimes!
Cheers
Jennifer

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3134
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a note to let everyone know that the Issue 19 page on the Casebook is now available at:

http://casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/rippernotes.2004_july.html

Complete with TOC, cover art and sample article by Stan Russo.

Have to say, I just received my copy of RN19 today and I'm fairly gobsmacked by the production quality. This isn't a magazine, but a book - no stapled photocopies here. A proper softcover, bound book with crystal clear, full-color cover graphics and crisp illustrations within. Even has title and issue information on the spine for easy referencing. No more unstable piles of Ripper magazines - now you can line them up good and proper with your other Ripper books.

Don't ask me how Dan managed to pull this off without dipping into his retirement account!

Hope to have a full and proper re-review of RN within the week. In the meantime, if you haven't subscribed - go, do it. Now.
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I liked the new format but thought the cover art looked like something produced by a fourteen year old doing a horror-zine. Gore and naked women...how cliched for a ripper magazine. The Sickert art could have been nice by itself but when coupled with the blood dolls just seemed adolescent. Perhaps it was supposed to be edgy instead of just tacky?

How Brown
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Mr. Russo's very important piece on suspect worthiness:

What does that really mean though? It means nothing in the long run

Begging to differ, Mr. Russo, despite his humility,HAS shown how the "Moustache Petes" of the Ripper Case, can manipulate information that they know is specious and often false for a variety of reasons.}} Many thanks to Mr. Russo for the obvious time and effort spent in this important piece and to Mr. Norder,for the wisdom to publish it..

Howard Brown
Sergeant
Username: Howard

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty and Tom...Just ask Jennifer who her main man is.

Thomas C. Wescott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally,

You didn't like the pic of Andy Aliffe on the cover? Frankly, I think it's a horrible depiction of Jack, and I want some of whatever McFarland Toys is smoking, because unless you're TOLD it's JTR, you wouldn't know. So, I'm not buying the toy. Although the gore is apparent, I must have missed the naked woman (not something I'm in the habit of doing!). I'm thinking of starting a Casebook calendar with all the Ripper chicks. What month would you like to be?

Monty,

Stay away from Jennifer. She's mine now. I made Norder give her to me under threat of submitting another article for RN!

Howard,

Mr. Russo's article was interesting, though I imagine it will seem confusing to some. Perhaps it will make more sense once he's published his theory.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 623
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do I get a say in any of this?

I thought Stans article to be very interesting - I didn't realise the memorandum differed so dramatically. i look forward to his book
Jennifer

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

Erm....well....its like this......NO!

Monty...who is currently looking for gauntlet and duelling pistol.
:-)
Im off to see the Psy-chia-taay........just to see if Im de-men-taaay. Kiss my bad self.
-Aaron Kosminski.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 642
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,
Just watch it you. This thread is supposed to be about RN.
Anyway I think you'll find that I do get a say ACTUALLY!
Jenni

Stan Russo
Sergeant
Username: Stan

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How,

Glad you liked the article

STAN RUSSO

Howard Brown
Sergeant

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan:
Just giving full props to a very informative piece and for your effort !
Just a note about who these Moustache Pete's are...They're the men that will be blamed for twisting facts for their bene$it....not the Evans,Beggs,Fidos,Rumbelows,Sugdens,or Edwards.
Looking forward to purchasing your book on suspects real soon....Good luck with future articles !!!

Dan Norder
Inspector

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And, for those following along the announcement in this issue about listings on Amazon, they are now live. Copies can now be ordered through Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.

It looks like the cover image and book description didn't get transferred over for some reason, and the list of writers got truncated (especially on the UK site), but it's a step in the right direction.

Thomas C. Wescott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Just a quick note to say that this issue of RN is the single best-looking Ripper mag produced...ever. Not only that, but the contents are top notch - Wolf's piece, as usual, was awesome, and newcomer Howard Brown produced a very atmospheric, thought-provoking piece that I felt was the pleasant surprise of the issue. I hope to see more from him. Norder intends to give Ripperologist a run for its money, and so far so good. If nothing else, he'll end up working for Ripperologist like every other editor RN has had. Ha ha. As good as this mag is looking, Nick Warren will be talking the smack about Dan Norder in NO time! Subscribe or miss out.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Howard Brown
Sergeant

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

..and a big thumbs up to Tom for his piece on the Lusk Kidney..! Thanks for the nice remarks,T.W. !
H.B.

Jack the Scribbler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ripper Notes is certainly the best Ripper mag around. It stays more on-topic than the tired UK mags. I might even write something for it myself.

Yours truly...

Dan Norder
Inspector

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jack...

This isn't an us versus them thing. Like my editorial in this issue said, it's friendly competition. I like the UK magazines too (OK, well, still waiting for Ripperana to show up, I think mine got lost in the mail). If you have the money, subscribe to them all.

If you don't have that much money, subscribe to Ripperologist so you are on board for their 10 year anniversary issue coming up. Yup, that's right, I'm suggesting you subscribe to Rip first and not Ripper Notes, my own magazine, if you can't afford both... Why? Well, because you can always go to Amazon (.com or .co.uk) and pick up issues of RN one by one as they come out when you have the money instead of paying for a subscription in advance. In fact, since they show up as books there, you can add issues to your Amazon Wish List and maybe get friends and relatives to buy them for you as gifts. A subscription saves you some money in the long term, but Amazon gives you some extra options.

Oh, and, Jack? If you do write to me, don't send any human organs or anything like that.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 866
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Dan

Thanks for your kind words about Ripperologist even in the face of an attempt by Jack the Quibbler to boost Ripper Notes to the top of the Ripper mag heap. laugh

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.