Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Does anyone know the name of this 'mi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Television Programmes » Does anyone know the name of this 'mini series' « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Allcock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings to all,
on page 124 of Philip Sugden's 'The Complete Jack the Ripper' he speaks of a mini series depicting George Lusk and the Mile End Vigilance committee as a bunch of hooligan-esque band of brothers marching the streets. I was wondering if anybody knew the name of this series as I am interested in the perceived role vigilantes took in the case of Jack.
Many thanks for any assisatance offered
Ben Allcock

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben,

The mini series was called 'Jack the Ripper' staring Michael Caine. It came out in 1988 to mark the 100 years since the killings.

Below is a shortcut

http://w1.860.telia.com/~u86010716/jack.html

As for Wickes depiction of the commitee, well lets just say that if I was one, and I was 144 years old, Id sue the shirt off his back. It was a totally false representation of an organisation that tried to do something positive.

Monty
:-)
Face cream.....now thats just gayness in a jar...

Sophia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could someone please tell em the role of the Mile End Vigilance Committee in trying to capture Jack the ripper? Did they help or hinder the police?

Sophia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could someone please tell me the role of the Mile End Vigilance Committee in trying to capture Jack the ripper? Did they help or hinder the police?

Martin Halbach
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello fellow Ripper students,

i am sorry to tell you that Monty is wrong.

The Mini Series was called JACK THE RIPPER or
otherwise THE RIPPER FILES from 1973 !

It is mentioned in the article about the Royal conspiracy here in casebook (the series searchers found Joseph Sickert and his story, which later, after the series, was put in bookform by Stephen Knight in 1978 ... ).

People mix it up with the TV-Play/movie JACK THE RIPPER from 1988 (mentioned by Monty above) because both had the same director : David Wickes (in 1973 co-director with Calder & Lewis).

The 1973 TV series JACK THE RIPPER was, as i believe, in 2002 shown in Australia as THE RIPPER FILES.
It is made up of six 50 minute episodes
("The First Two", "Double Event", "Butchery",
"Panic", "Suspects" & "The Highest in the Land?")

An IMDB user "blackhood" from Perth states about the mini.series from 1973:

-------------------
"The finest documentary ever made about JtR!!!!
The popular detectives of BBC's "Softly, Softly" - Det. Chief Supt. Barlow (Stratford Johns) & Det. Chief Supt. Watt (Frank Windsor) - take a "busman's holiday" as they take a week off their busy careers to read over the files of the infamous Whitechapel Murderer - Jack the Ripper - in an attempt to discern his probable identity from the evidence provided.
JACK THE RIPPER (a.k.a. "The Ripper File") by John Lloyd & Elwyn Jones is truly a milestone in both JtR Documentary & Drama, where the key players (in true BBC style) vocalise only what was said on record
------------------------------

So far on the 73 mini series JtR, that was kind of predecessor to the 1988 movie JtR, because Wickes from then (1973) went pregnant with the idea of a TV play on JtR.

There is a DVD Special Edition with the 1988 movie by David Wickes and you can hear his commentatory on the movie and his 1973 JtR TV series and his views on JtR and the Ripperology in the second english language channel (when you start the movie (not the other extra stuff, i mean the main movie itself) you can select from various languages, and there is english 1 and english 2.
on english 2 he comments on JtR, his view, on the movie and so on while the movie runs. He is interviewed by a moderator and accomponied by his assistant, Sue Davis (said to be a 4-year-researcher on JtR for the movie).

He talks quite condescending about other Ripperologists ("most know nothing"), but has also some quite interesting stuff to tell (f.e. about him/Sue Davis first having had access to the Ripper papers, still locked in 1973 and 1983-87 while researching for the mini series and later the movie, and that even while they researched still papers were missing from week to week (papers they saw were not there next time etc.).
He also states hat this loss was of course going on since the beginning and that there are only some files instead of rooms full of papers of evidence ("at a time there were over 400 detectives working on the case in 1888/9").

If you believe what he says (and concludes) or not, it is quite interesting to hear (though only partially on JtR, and partially on the movie-making and -details.

I only wonder why it is so hidden, i only found it by accident when i changed the language from german to english, then i saw that there is an "english-2". It is not referred to in the DVD menu or anywhere else on DVD or package.

Wickes had worked for the TV (BBC?) and made this mini series in 1973, which is mentioned in the Royal Conspiracy Chapter here.

You can find details about the series of 73 as well as the 88 TV play/movie and other movies by this name "JtR" at www.IMDB.com (Internet Movie Database), just search for "Jack the Ripper" and both are among the results : the 1988 TV movie/play with Michael Caine and the 1973 mini series (among others).

Links :

1973 TV mini-series JtR

1988 TV play/movie JtR (w/ Michael Caine)

As i said, the 73 series is referred to in the casebooks page on the Royal conspiracy in the suspects chapter

The Royal Conspiracy

I hope this info cleares the mix-up of the 73 TV mini series and the 88 TV play/movie
Anyone interested in more details might listen to the 88-JtR-DVD commentatory i mentioned above.

Oh, and btw a personal thought :

i think in the 88 movie (i never saw the 73 series though i would love to) the vigilante committee, especially Mr. George LUSK is not very realistic played.
Just watch the actor that plays Lusk (Michael Gothard, about whom Caine as Abberline says: "he looks like an anarchistic artist")
and compare it to the real photograph of Mr. Lusk.
The historical Lusk looks rather straight to me.

I think what you see in the 88 movie is maybe what the police thought of and felt about the vigilantes, but not what they really were like.

But of course, this is just a personal view, i wasn't there at the time (if only i could :-) )

Martin Halbach

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.