Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ripperologist issue 53: May 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Periodicals » Ripperologist » Ripperologist issue 53: May 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Cover of the forthcoming May issue.

Rip May04 cover

Adam
Production, Ripperologist
www.ripperologist.info

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once again, Adam Wood & Co.:
What an extremely artistic and intriguing cover.
Hats off for another job well done!

You can all expect my apply for a subscription in a couple of months.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 818
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who wears these hats these days Glenn?
Natalie

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, who indeed, Natalie?
I have a couple of hats, but no beret, I'm afraid -- not even from my days as a destitute painter.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder who the woman is on the cover...
quite a powerful and charismatic photo. Could it be the Anna Anderson (whoever that is) referred to in one of the headlines?

Regardless of which, I'm looking especially forward to read Jan Bondeson's piece about modern crime methods in a historical context.

I better order this issue in retrospect when I subscribe in a couple of months.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Glenn

You're right--that's Anna Anderson. Maybe that's a photograph taken not long after she came out of the river?

Anna Anderson was a woman who tried to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge in the twenties (I'm not sure, but I believe this happened in Germany). She claimed to have amnesia, and then later on claimed to be the daughter of Tsar Nicholas II, Anastasia. She received a lot of attention from the press, and even from members of the Russian nobility, some of whom even met with her and believed her claims. She maintained she was Anastasia the whole rest of her life (I think she died in the nineties). Shortly after her death, some of her tissue turned up in a hospital from when she'd had surgery. DNA was secured from her tissue and compared with relatives of the Russian royal family--it wasn't a match. That hasn't deterred her supporters, though.

It's an interesting story. There were lots of claimants to the Russian throne, but none as colorful as Anna Anderson. I've seen footage of her, and she was very convicing (before the DNA testing).

Cheers,
Dave

(Message edited by oberlin on May 17, 2004)

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info, Dave.
An interesting story. That explains the DNA connection as well. Thanks again.

Al the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kbraun

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is an interesting story. Anna Tchaikovsky Anderson Manahan apparently could have been a body double for Anastasia. Of the Russian nobility who knew Anastasia, only her aunt Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna and uncle Grand Duke Ernest Louis of Hesse doubted Anderson's claims. In 1925, the Grand Duke hired private investigators, who determined that Anderson was probably Franciska Schanskowska, a Polish factory worker.

Anderson died in 1984. In 1991, the bodies of the imperial family were exhumed. DNA testing was done to make sure that the remains were actually those of the imperial family, but also to compare Anderson's DNA and see if it matched. The mitochondrial DNA of the bodies presumed to be those of Alexandra and three of her daughters were compared to those of the Duke of Edinburgh, whose mother's mother was a sister of Alexandra. This proved to be a match. Anderson's DNA, however, did not match either that of the Romanov remains or of the Duke of Edinburgh, making it practically impossible that she was, in fact, Anastasia. Another DNA test, compared her DNA to that of a relative of Franciszka Schanzkowska (the factory worker), was a match.

Anna's DNA was taken from tissue obtained during a 1979 operation Anna had undergone at Charlottesville's Martha Jefferson Hospital for intestinal blockage. About one foot of her intestines had been removed, and about five inches of it, preserved in formalin, remained in the hospital's pathology department from that time. It was obtained by the testers following a long and complicated court battle.

Take care,
Kevin

David O'Flaherty
Inspector

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the detailed account, Kevin--it's been awhile since I've read anything about this. I want to say that the historian Robert Massie wrote about the DNA testing in a book, maybe ten years ago? I might be confusing him with someone else.

I didn't realize they had actually compared Anderson's DNA with the bones of the royal family. It's surprising there would be any samples up to the testing process, considering how they were disposed of.

DNA testing has become a kind of magic bullet, hasn't it? I don't know how things are in Britain, but we see so many shows over here in the States with exhumations and DNA testing that it almost seems a matter of course, when actually I suspect the opposite is true.

On the other hand,I saw one program about the identification of the crew of the Huntley (the Confederate sub which was raised a couple of years ago), and I think they exhumed several people who were suspected of being related to who investigators thought were members of the crew--they wanted to compare their DNA with what was found in the sub. I'd have thought that something a little more concrete would be required by the courts.

I wonder if DNA testing is perceived the same way across the ocean as it does here. From what I've seen on the message boards here, the British and European posters seem to realize some of the inherent legal difficulties involved, while some of the Americans are a little more optimistic. :-) I wonder if the difference stems from some of the programming we're seeing in the States (like those Discovery Channel shows).

Looking forward to reading the article. I think it's a great topic.

Best,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am I right in believing that this lady was present in her factory when there was an explosion (I think it was a munitions factory)?

Maybe she sustained brain damage/psychological trauma, paving the way for her delusions about who she was?

Robert

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 753
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all

As noted, our cover picture for the May issue of Ripperologist is to accompany the article by Jan Bondeson on "Historical Mysteries and Modern Science: Louis XVII, Kasper Hauser, Anastasia, the Cornwell Investigation, and other examples of the use and misuse of DNA technology in the service of history." Dr. Bondeson is a senior lecturer and consultant rheumatologist at the University of Wales College of Medicine and the author of several critically acclaimed books, including Buried Alive: The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear and The Great Pretender: The True Stories behind Famous Historical Mysteries.

Best regards

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

David O'Flaherty
Inspector

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Robert

I'm only half-remembering this, but didn't Anna Anderson have scars that some claimed were bayonet wounds? Perhaps this was from an explosion, if one happened (I don't know).

It sounds like Anderson did suffer from some kind of mental trauma initially, although I'm not sure how delusional she was the rest of her life. Trading a factory worker in for a princess seems like a good deal to me :-) Maybe even more interesting is her acceptance by some members of the family--I guess people believe what they want to, especially when the reality of Anastasia's fate was so cruel.

There had to be a pretty significant suspension of disbelief, considering that Anna Anderson bore no resemblance whatsoever to Anastasia Romanov.

For a sampling of Anastasia's engaging personality, there's a book of her personal photographs, some of which were hand-colored by her. They're accompanied with text from her personal letters. It's almost a children's book, appropriately enough, until you get to the end.

Sorry to go on, especially since I don't really have an answer for you. It's just that the Romanovs intrigue me :-)

Cheers,
Dave

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2454
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave

I don't remember any scars, but I'm only going by a TV programme I'm vaguely remembering. I'll read the article when I get my copy.

It is a fascinating subject, and it's nice to see someone other than Ostrog laying claim to aristocratic origins.

Robert

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave,

There had to be a pretty significant suspension of disbelief, considering that Anna Anderson bore no resemblance whatsoever to Anastasia Romanov.

On the other hand, after Anderson was pulled from a canal at the foot of the Bendler Bridge in West Berlin (not sure about an explosion) in 1920, she was committed to a mental asylum, where staff and patients noted a resemblance. Many of the marks on Anderson's body corresponded with injuries sustained by Anastasia during her lifetime. Anderson had a scar on her right shoulder in the exact same place where Anastasia had had a mole removed. Anderson shared a toe deformity with Anastasia, and a scar at the base of Anderson's left-hand middle finger corresponded with an accident Anastasia had as a child when she got her finger caught in a carriage door.

"Then there's the alleged match between Anna Anderson's handwriting and Anastasia's from school tablets of the Grand Duchess. Several analyses over the years indicated that Anna Anderson's matched Anastasia's, and the first analysis was so strongly positive that it was suppressed......She knew details that she shouldn't have known. An example of her knowledge revolved around the Tsar's family serving in a palace-turned-hospital at Tsarskoe Selo during World War I. When a Russian officer who had recuperated at the hospital was brought to reminisce with Anastasia/Anderson long afterwards, he spoke of a billards table at which he and the Tsar's daughters had played. He located the table on the second floor. Anastasia/Anderson corrected him: The table was on the first floor. The officer and witnesses knew that." ('The Anastasia Story': Harlan Berger)

Trading a factory worker in for a princess seems like a good deal to me. Yes indeed!

Take care,
Kevin

David O'Flaherty
Inspector

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Kevin

Thanks for the further information on Anna Anderson's scars. You've obviously done some more recent reading than I have :-) Those are some resemblances I'd forgotten about, but I was referring to the facial resemblance. She just doesn't look like Anastasia to me, but I suppose someone's done a point by point comparison, and you can probably find results that favor both pro and con.

As far as the handwriting analysis and recollections go, they were pretty impressive during Anderson's lifetime, but the DNA evidence suggests that they were unreliable. I don't know if someone was coaching Anna or if these stories somehow got exaggerated. Since Anna Anderson wasn't Anastasia Romanov, she couldn't have known these details on her own.

Of course, she still has her supporters (people who knew her) who dismiss the DNA tests, which I guess is a testament to Anna's own charisma.

I haven't read Berger's book, but I'll have to check it out. The Massie book I was thinking of earlier is The Romanovs: The Final Chapter, which I've got somewhere. You might already have it yourself.

Anyway, the forthcoming Rip article looks to be a good one.

Hope you're well,
Dave

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 611
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just because I am ornery...

The DNA that confirmed she wasn't Anastasia...was that compared to maternal or paternal DNA? Because if it was compared to paternal DNA then what if mama had a fling with the stable boy and she was Anastasia, but the DNA wouldn't match because Papa wasn't papa?

I can spin it with the best of them.

(Message edited by ally on May 19, 2004)

David O'Flaherty
Inspector

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, my ornery friend,

It's been nearly ten years so I don't remember, but will try to find my copy of Masse and find out for you. Kevin posted the other day that they used mitochondrial DNA from Alexandra and the other three female bodies found (Anastasia's sisters, Olga, Marie, and Tatiana).

Actually, there's disagreement over whether one set of those remains was of Maria (I think she was in question) or of Anastasia herself. The pit was short two bodies, Alexei and one sister. I seem to remember that these bodies were later found, so I think everybody's accounted for, but they're not sure which is Marie and which is Anastasia. Does anyone know if that's correct?

I don't know about your stable hand scenario--Alexandra was incredibly religious. Also the marriage of Nicholas and Alexandra was supposed to have been a love match, not an arranged thing. Judging from letters and Alexandra's entries in Nicholas's diaries (writing in someone else's diary is creepy), they never fell out of love.

Cheers,
Dave

Dan Norder
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For what it's worth, mitochondrial DNA by its nature has to be traced matrilinearly (because kids always get their mtDNA from their mothers and not the fathers), so a stable boy theory wouldn't account for it.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

It's almost as though Anastasia just couldn't come to terms with her murder and was compelled to live again through Anna and in Anna.

There are more things in heaven and earth...

We need Glenn here for this!

Love,

A previously highly sceptical Caz
X

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't get me started, Caz. Don't get me started ... :-)

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was compared to maternal DNA

Jennifer

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 622
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hiya Dave,

I missed Kevin's first post where he explained that it was mitochondrial DNA that was used. Oh well...it was a good theory while it lasted.

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Chief Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 627
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

It is interesting to note that Ms. Anderson couldn't speak Russian. I believe she may have been able to understand some of her so called "native language".

All The Best
Gary

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 754
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Yes that was the point I was going to make, Gary, that Mrs. Anderson spoke German, like a native, but not Russian, although I think that it was said she did speak Russian occasionally. Apart from the DNA the lack of a facial resemblance to the Grand Duchesses has to be a definitive part of the equation. Anastasia looked very much like her elder sisters, if a little pudgy at age 14 before her execution, and she did not resemble Mrs. Anderson. I may be wrong, David, but I believe the bodies of one daughter (presumably Anastasia) and the Tsarevitch Alexis were never found.

All the best

Chris

David O'Flaherty
Inspector

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris

I think you're right and it's probably my memory that's faulty. I can't find an article about the last two sets of remains being found. I'm also not sure if it was ever definitively settled whether or not they had recovered Marie or Anastasia.

Regarding the language issue--am I correct that Russian would not have been Anastasia's primary language? I'm no believer in Anna Anderson, but it seems like Anastasia would have been better versed in French and English. I kind of remember reading that attempts to introduce the german Alexandra to the Russian language never really worked out--she probably would have communicated with her daughters in French, which is what the nobility spoke.

I really need to dig my Masse books out :-)

Cheers,
Dave

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Chief Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 628
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David and All

I'll check my books on Ms. Anderson. I do recall that she was taught to speak Russian, German, French and English and perhaps some Latin. All of the daughters should have been very conversational in each of the first four languages. I know that when Ms Anderson attempted to claim the Romanov fortune it became a very salient point that she could not speak Russian. Relatives who disputed her claim would have known what she was able to speak.

I know that those who sought to help her recover the fortune stated that she would not speak Russian because of her experiences in Russia.
This sounds rather like obvious obfuscation to me.

Someone or a group of people coached her very well on her alleged life in the Imperial Palace. She could recite relatively obscure details of her early life.

The things people will do for money.

As an aside, once it was discovered that one of the girls and Alexi were not accounted for (I believe in the mine or well near Four Brothers), an amazing thing happened, a book which I own promptly came out claiming that Alexi survived the massacre. It is somewhat amusing.

Go figure.

If I am incorrect on any of the above points I will be happy to be corrected as I am going on memory.

All The Best
Gary

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 302
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI
Just checking as I haven't received this months copy yet is this bcos it has not been sent out. If so phew! as it sounds really good
thanks

(Message edited by jdpegg on May 25, 2004)
Jennifer

Jan Bondeson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am quite impressed by the amount of interest shown in the Ripperologist cover to present my Great Pretenders feature article. Regarding Anna Anderson, she definitely was an impostor, but some of the other historical mysteries of disputed identity remain unsolved. As I point out in my Great Pretenders book (and also in the recent book feature on Louis XVII in BBC History), DNA evidence is only as strong as the arguments for the authenticity of the material tested. This is what makes the Cornwell-Sickert investigation so deeply flawed.

Best wishes Jan Bondeson

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jan
I forward toreading your article very much. The Anderson case has interested me for a long time. I am convinced that she had no blood connection to the Romanovs but it is her psychology that is more interesting. Let us not foregt also that there have been other Romanov "pretenders" including a Polish agent who defected to the Americans and then claimed that he was, in fact, the Tsarevich Alexei. I cannot recall his name and do not know what happened in his case. I beleive there was also another woman who claimed to be one of the other sisters.
All the best
Chris

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re: another Alexei claimant mentioned above, see
http://www.npsnet.com/tsarevich_alexei/

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer (and everyone else waiting for their copy of the May issue)

The magazine has yet to be published; we have a substantial amount of content to fit into this issue, which I'm hoping to have completed shortly. Apologies for the delay, but as can be seen from the comments generated by Jan Bondeson's contribution it really will be worth waiting for!

Adam Wood
Production, Ripperologist
www.ripperologist.info

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jan,

Regarding Anna Anderson, she definitely was an impostor.

I believe Anna Anderson was a coached fraud. Still, I hate the word definitely (Cornwell, Case Closed, absolutely sure, 100% certain). I look forward to reading your article in the May issue of Ripperologist.

Take care,
Kevin

Dan Norder
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris George wrote:
"Dr. Bondeson is a senior lecturer and consultant rheumatologist at the University of Wales College of Medicine and the author of several critically acclaimed books, including Buried Alive: The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear and The Great Pretender: The True Stories behind Famous Historical Mysteries."

Oh, I would have mentioned it earlier but I just put two and two together:

Jan Bondeson is also the author of the The London Monster, a very interesting book covering stories of knife-wielding maniacs in England and elsewhere, exploring the boundary between fact and hysteria. So far it's been a great read, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants historical background to help understand why people reacted the way they did during the Jack the Ripper killings.

Now all I have to do is figure out a way to get him to write something for Ripper Notes...

Jan Bondeson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At latest count, there were ten bogus Anastasias and at least three claimant for the title of each of her sisters Grand Duchesses Olga, Maria and Tatiana. There were eight Alexis claimants, which all had some kind of miracle cure for their hemophilia! I have a section on these impostors in 'Great Pretenders'. Whether Anna A. was coached or not is still subject of debate - it is more likely that she was a clever hysteric who knew to use and manipulate the various thick-headed people who took an interest in her.
I am indeed the author of 'London Monster' and would be pleased to write something for Ripper Notes, as long as it is about either the Monster or various pretenders.

Best wishes Jan Bondeson

Dan Norder
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jan,

I'm sure we can work something out there. I'll send you an email about it probably within a few days.

Looking forward to seeing your article in Ripperologist.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3121
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The table of contents, cover art and a sample article from the May 2004 issue of Ripperologist magazine are now available at:

http://casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/ripperologist.2004-05.html

Sample article for this month's issue is Scott Nelson's "The Polish Jew Suspect - Jewish Witness Connection: Some Further Speculations".

Many thanks to Adam Wood - Enjoy!
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

I got it....

....had to pay £1.02 postage at the post office for it but I got it.

Monty
:-)

PS not read it yet though !!
Face cream.....now thats just gayness in a jar...

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty
I have emailed you. I too have got it. It cost me £1.02 as well what is the world coming to!
Jenni

P.s I have read it though I should be revising!
Jennifer

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had to pay one pound two pence as well!

PS How on earth do you type a pound symbol?

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
I used the £ sign by pressing shift three

cheers
Jennifer

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear all

Please accept our deepest apologies for the excess postal charge incurred by some subscribers of the current issue.

It seems that although we applied the usual postage to the envelope, the cost for that particular weight bracket has risen by 2p. The Post Office feel the need to apply a £1 charge for delivering an item 2p short of the correct postage.

Subscribers who would like their £1.02 refunded shold email me.

Kind regards

Adam Wood
Ripperologist
www.ripperologist.info

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2533
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam

What a scam by the Post Office! I should surcharge them every time I have to deal with their misdeliveries. I got one addressed to Captain Scott the other day.

Keep the quid, Adam.

Jennifer, something wrong with my keyboard, but thanks for the note.

Robert

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 390
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re: Royal Claimants and DNA:

The New York TImes on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 had an article about the family of Wilhelm Naundorff, a Dutch clockmaker who died in 1844, claiming he was the lost "Dauphin", King Louis XVII. His great - grandson claims that a DNA test on a heart that supposedly belonged to Louis XVII (who died under murky circumstances in 1795) has a questionable provenance - it belonged to the Hapsburg family, but it does not necessary mean it was Louis XVII's. He wanted more DNA testing under more carefully controlled conditions. In the meantime, the heart has been buried at the Royal Bourbon tomb (at St. Cloud, I believe).

Hi Robert,

That must be a very old lost letter addressed to Captain Scott. I thought he was posthumously promoted to Rear-Admiral.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam,

Thought as much.

Robert speaks for me also. Keep the £1.....believe me, for a man from a Scots/Jew background that was very hard to type !!!

Im sorry if it seemed as if I was having a pop. I wasnt. Again, like Robert, I blame the Post Office. Trying to recoup the billions pesched away on that 'Consignia' balls up.

Mr Angry from Cheam

Face cream.....now thats just gayness in a jar...

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

Could be that the Swedish keyboards are different regarding certain details,
but I write £ by pressing the buttons Alt Gr and 3.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly, no worries about the money Adam. It is the Post Office who are to blame plus their stupid way of doings things meant I got my copy two days late!!!
Jennifer

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2548
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

No, my keyboard seems to have a mind of its own. I can get !@#$%^&*()_+ by using the button with the vertical arrow, but Ctrl alt just does nothing.

I am to computers what Rolf Harris is to Led Zeppelin.

Robert

Ripperologist magazine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert, Monty, Jennifer

Thanks for your understanding that it's not us trying to sneak in a price increase! Correct postage will be applied from July's issue.

Adam
www.ripperologist.info

hemustadoneit
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Not that I think it really matters, but, if you get desparate remember the number 156 = £.

To type in a £ press the Alt key and, at the same time as holding it down, type on the _numeric_ part of the keyboard on the right (not the normal numbers at the top of the keyboard) the numbers 1 then 5 then 6 and then release the ALT key.
Ah the joys of Windows...

Of course if you use Mac, Linux, or a keyboard without a numeric keypad then forget this advice.

We have an office in Scandinavia and I'm amazed those guys seem to remember all the key sequences for the "funny" letters they use with the dots and circles and squiggles over them - personally I either use Windows Character map or cut and paste from another post.

Of couse when the UK joins the Euro we have to get a new keyboard or remember some other ALT key sequence ;-(

Is this really a site on JtR - we have one thread moving towards how do I type a £ and one thread theorizing if penguins are birds can they fly or not, ecclectic or what.

Cheerio,
ian

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

I believe French royal burials take place at St Denis, not St Cloud.

All the best,
Eduardo

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2595
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ian, just seen your post.

£££ it works! Ta very much.

Soon they'll design a keyboard specially adapted for penguins!

Robert

L.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just happened to stumble over the messages about anna andersson..

Regarding "Anna Anderson, she definitely was an impostor."

"definitely" is a strong word to use in this verdict.. the DNA that showed that she wasn't a Romanov but Franciszka Schanzkowska wasn't correct. They did a new DNA test from the same "sorce", and guess what?! it didn't match, she was not Franciszka Schanzkowska. it later on was discovered (in diarys)that many of the romanov people that was annas "opponent" believed that she was the real anastasia. but in case there would have been a counterrevolution it would not have been in favor for these romanovs to accept her as anastasia, because then they would have lost both the titel and the crown to her.

they also compared anna and anastasias ear, as you probably know, it is like a fingerprint, and it was a match.

I don't know if anna andersson was anastasia, but I wouldn't use the word definitely...

L.

SirRobertAnderson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for copies of Ripperologist #54 and #55, if anyone has any suggestion as to where to source them. (And I have tried the obvious source, lol.)

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello SirR,

Try emailing Coral Kelly at coral52@hotmail.com. You may also phone her at +44 (0) 2087677362 or write to her at 170 Eswyin Rd., London SW17 8TN, UK. If all fails, post another message here or contact me and we'll see what can be done.

Cheers,
Eduardo
Eduardo Zinna

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SirR (and all others interested in subscriptions, back issues and other ways of parting with their money),

Me again, for a correction. The email address of our Subscriptions Manager at Ripperologist, Ms Corall Kelly, is coralkelly52@hotmail.com.

All the best,
Eduardo

Eduardo Zinna

SirRobertAnderson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Eduardo. I seem to have found a dealer with the issues in question.

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.